Re: [hreg] Inquiry re Solar Heat Panel

  • Kevin L. Conlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2001
      Try David Sawchak at Morningstar,  I'm not sure what you mean by a passive heater, but David is the only active solar DHW and Pool heating contractor in the Houston area, 713 686 1762.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2001
        I heard a speaker yesterday whose name shall be withheld. I don't think
        he's on this list but if he is, it's okay. He was talking about energy
        efficient homes. There were lots of questions going around and finally I
        asked if he thought solar water heaters would be good and lo, he said
        nobody wants them, and I said WHY? and he said, cost too much, not enough
        folks to maintain them etc etc. I was really surprised. I mean, he was
        promoting other things that take a little work and money and I figured
        solar hot water would fit right in. I told him that there are whole
        developments in Houston with solar hot water systems and the systems have
        worked fine for at least 20 years, and I also told him that there are
        several working solar hot water systems in my neighborhood and most
        people who have them, like them. How many folks are coming along who are
        trained to install and maintain solar hot water systems? Is there any
        other plan other than the periodic SEI or other training for solar
        applications which will see that enough good plumbers are licensed or
        trained or whatever? Is there licensing for solar hot water folks? I
        think lots of folks would like to have solar hot water. Of course,
        there's a wait, we are finding out.
        Marge in Austin