RE: [hreg] RE: National Service Bill

  • Stephanie Germaine
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 24, 2009
      It's apparently passed in the senate, too.  Although the NY Times article makes it sound much more benign than I thought from the previous emails.

      http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/national-service-corps-bill-clears-senate-hurdle/

      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      From: larry@...
      Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:29:01 -0500
      Subject: Re: [hreg] RE: National Service Bill

      Just found out that this bill passed in the house last week???

      On 3/24/09 11:21 AM, "Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IS4)[TESSADA & ASSOC INC]" <Thomas.m.scarsella@ nasa.gov> wrote:

      This bill is intended to make people realize that is they and their children who suffer the consequences of military actions taken by the US.  These bills come up every few years and never make it out of committee.  They do get ones' attention though and raise some scary thoughts.

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 24, 2009
        That's a really good idea, Randy.  I am going to be running for City Council.  How could I stress that as a city issue?

        To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
        From: redscott77092@...
        Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:23:26 +0000
        Subject: [hreg] Re: National Service Bill

        I wish someone would create a "National Service" (model after the Civilian Conservation Corps) that rounds up those of us who:

        1) have a deep interest in renewable/sustainab le "green energy"
        2) have technological experience in the "old" energy industries
        3) have physical handicaps that rule out manual labor (self-interest)

        and put us to work - with a paycheck - out of all that "stimulus" money that's been garaunteed to the big corporations. Especially now that Gov Perry has decided to reject money that was supposed to be used for unemployment benefits.

        But NO....that would be too easily labeled "communist" and the Wall Street whores would never tolerate it!

        </end pi$$ed-off rant>
        Randy

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Larry Weber, Sales" <larry@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know the status of the National Service bill?
        >
        > Don¹t know why the main stream news has not covered this.
        >

        > Subj: service bill
        >

        > 2. [110th] H.R.393 : To require all persons in the United States between the
        > ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the
        > uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national
        > defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the
        > uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the
        > uniformed services, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make
        > permanent the favorable treatment afforded combat pay under the earned
        > income tax credit, and for other purposes.
        > Sponsor: Rep Rangel, Charles B. [NY-15] (introduced 1/10/2007)
        >      Cosponsors (2)
        > Committees: House Armed Services; House Ways and Means
        >

        > Larry weber
        >

        > Naturallighting. com
        > 1414 FM 646 RD E
        > Dickinson, TX 77539
        >
        > Phone 888.900.6830
        >
        > http://www.naturall ighting.com

        Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
      • evelyn sardina
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 24, 2009
          I rented at blockbuster the movie TAXI TO NOWHERE.  I had been waiting for a while because Discovery Chanel had bought the rights to the movie and then kept it under wraps for a while. If anyone would like to see what the military is all about and what your children will be made to do, I should suggest you watch this...

          To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
          From: larry@naturallighti ng.com
          Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:29:01 -0500

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 24, 2009
            Watch this movie... TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE. You can get it at blockbuster.

            I wish someone would create a "National Service" (model after the Civilian Conservation Corps) that rounds up those of us who:

            1) have a deep interest in renewable/sustainab le "green energy"
            2) have technological experience in the "old" energy industries
            3) have physical handicaps that rule out manual labor (self-interest)

            and put us to work - with a paycheck - out of all that "stimulus" money that's been garaunteed to the big corporations. Especially now that Gov Perry has decided to reject money that was supposed to be used for unemployment benefits.

            But NO....that would be too easily labeled "communist" and the Wall Street whores would never tolerate it!

            </end pi$$ed-off rant>
            Randy

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Larry Weber, Sales" <larry@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know the status of the National Service bill?
            >
            > Don¹t know why the main stream news has not covered this.
            >

            > Subj: service bill
            >

            > 2. [110th] H.R.393 : To require all persons in the United States between the
            > ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the
            > uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national
            > defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the
            > uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the
            > uniformed services, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make
            > permanent the favorable treatment afforded combat pay under the earned
            > income tax credit, and for other purposes.
            > Sponsor: Rep Rangel, Charles B. [NY-15] (introduced 1/10/2007)
            >      Cosponsors (2)
            > Committees: House Armed Services; House Ways and Means
            >

            > Larry weber
            >

            > Naturallighting. com
            > 1414 FM 646 RD E
            > Dickinson, TX 77539
            >
            > Phone 888.900.6830
            >
            > http://www.naturall ighting.com

          • Randy Scott
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 26, 2009
              Good luck wi'dat. If I ever see your name on a ballot I'll certainly put a check mark there.[by the way, my next door neighbor is also named Don Cook, but I don't think he's running]

              I dunno, experience tells me that I don't know anything about political language and I have a "curse" that everything I say ends up sounding like a personal insult to some very sensitive person, in spite of all my time spent studying the 'art' of propaganda.

              Why not talk about the Civilian Conservation Corps? I can't give you any titles but it shouldn't be hard to find detailed info on how it was created and promoted. It was just a piece of a bigger plan.

              Maybe some of those "Greatest Generation" folks, the WWII generation, can be reminded of the risky but successful programs that put paychecks into the hands of blue-collar people. If I recall rightly, I think there was more to it than just manual labor. There were programs that tapped into a wide variety of talents & skills, even writers & artists.

              All I've heard about today's "stimulus" has emphasised roads & bridges & other jobs that tap into existing corporations that already have a "lobby" presence in our state capitals. When our so-called "representative" was opposing the expansion of public transit in Houston, it was revealed that he has a long history of campaign contributions from highway building companies - that's why he opposed trains.

              Randy

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, donald cook <zenblews@...> wrote:

              > That's a really good idea, Randy. I am going to be running for City Council. How could I stress that as a city issue?
              >
              > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
              > From: redscott77092@...
              > Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:23:26 +0000
              > Subject: [hreg] Re: National Service Bill
              > >
              > I wish someone would create a "National Service" (model after the Civilian Conservation Corps) that rounds up those of us who:
              >

              > 1) have a deep interest in renewable/sustainable "green energy"
              >
              > 2) have technological experience in the "old" energy industries
              >
              > 3) have physical handicaps that rule out manual labor (self-interest)
              >

              > and put us to work - with a paycheck - out of all that "stimulus" money that's been garaunteed to the big corporations. Especially now that Gov Perry has decided to reject money that was supposed to be used for unemployment benefits.
              >

              > But NO....that would be too easily labeled "communist" and the Wall Street whores would never tolerate it!
              >

              > </end pi$$ed-off rant>
              >
              > Randy

            • Alyssa Burgin
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 26, 2009
                Good point, Randy about the CCC. My father was in the CCC, and thrilled to be there. He didn't build bridges or anything remotely similar--he was an actor. They sent him around the country to perform at CCC camps, putting on one-man plays and reading poetry. Seriously. They recruited him from among a group of successful high school drama students at a high school which had been featured in Life magazine. He certainly didn't feel like he was part of an involuntary servitude project--he felt like the luckiest teenager in the world.

                Alyssa Burgin

                On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Randy Scott <redscott77092@...> wrote:
                Good luck wi'dat. If I ever see your name on a ballot I'll certainly put a check mark there.[by the way, my next door neighbor is also named Don Cook, but I don't think he's running]

                I dunno, experience tells me that I don't know anything about political language and I have a "curse" that everything I say ends up sounding like a personal insult to some very sensitive person, in spite of all my time spent studying the 'art' of propaganda.

                Why not talk about the Civilian Conservation Corps? I can't give you any titles but it shouldn't be hard to find detailed info on how it was created and promoted. It was just a piece of a bigger plan.

                Maybe some of those "Greatest Generation" folks, the WWII generation, can be reminded of the risky but successful programs that put paychecks into the hands of blue-collar people. If I recall rightly, I think there was more to it than just manual labor. There were programs that tapped into a wide variety of talents & skills, even writers & artists.

                All I've heard about today's "stimulus" has emphasised roads & bridges & other jobs that tap into existing corporations that already have a "lobby" presence in our state capitals. When our so-called "representative" was opposing the expansion of public transit in Houston, it was revealed that he has a long history of campaign contributions from highway building companies - that's why he opposed trains.

                Randy

                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, donald cook <zenblews@...> wrote:

                > That's a really good idea, Randy.  I am going to be running for City Council.  How could I stress that as a city issue?
                >
                > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                > From: redscott77092@...
                > Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:23:26 +0000
                > Subject: [hreg] Re: National Service Bill
                > >
                >             I wish someone would create a "National Service" (model after the Civilian Conservation Corps) that rounds up those of us who:
                >

                > 1) have a deep interest in renewable/sustainable "green energy"
                >
                > 2) have technological experience in the "old" energy industries
                >
                > 3) have physical handicaps that rule out manual labor (self-interest)
                >

                > and put us to work - with a paycheck - out of all that "stimulus" money that's been garaunteed to the big corporations. Especially now that Gov Perry has decided to reject money that was supposed to be used for unemployment benefits.
                >

                > But NO....that would be too easily labeled "communist" and the Wall Street whores would never tolerate it!
                >

                > </end pi$$ed-off rant>
                >
                > Randy

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional