Re: [hreg] Solar for Texas !

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 19 8:26 AM
      Because in the case of Houston, we don't have the wind option (unless you live in Galveston, which is of course not Houston) since we don't get enough wind. What we do have is enough roof tops and plenty of sun! A huge part of our energy goes into water heating and this problem can easily be taken care of with a solar water heater. You can argue that you can take care of this with a tankless water heater ( and it is an option) but, why not use the sun when it works just fine! Buy the way, the wind is comming..... To me the key is using all types of alternative energy so that there is a balance andvariety of technology involved. This would help with the monopolization of energy. My two cents.

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 19 8:44 AM

        Phillip:

        Your comment is curious.  It is interesting that you assumed I referred to Photovoltaics, (PV) although nowhere in my note do I mention PV.  In fact solar has many different technologies; some more progressed in their development than others.  These would include concentrated solar thermal, known as CSP, thin film, PV, nano-paint, quantum dots, solar hot water, solar optics, combined CSP/PV just to name a few.  Your comment suggests that perhaps in Texas you think wind is a better technology choice.  I wonder why that might be.  My comment does not make mention of forcing a technology on anyone, but instead of offering multiple solutions so that consumers can have a greater range to choose from.   Solar and wind do not compete with each other.  In fact, the technologies are very complementary and developers in some parts of the country are doing combined installations of wind with solar.  Wind often performs optimally at night, solar in the day, so combining the two is a win for everyone.

        You refer to solar having more incentives than wind.  In Texas , I wonder what those incentives might be.

        Tyra

        --

      • phil6142@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 19 8:33 PM
          Sorry for the misunderstanding in your note, I did think that you were referring to only Photovoltaics.  Admittedly I am not that familiar with the exact policies in Europe but from what I have seen they are most heavily using PV and up until this year that is pretty much the only one technology that our goverment was pushing.  I happen to think that Solar Water Heating and CSP are in many cases better options than PV but are often over looked.  The incentives for Solar PV in Texas are the same as in the rest of the country, 30% tax credit (recently raised to a much higher limit).  The recent bailout package did bring other technologies alot more in line but for a long time only Solar PV recieved any incentives from the federal goverment.  I think we are very fortunate in Texas that we have good resources in both wind and solar.  But if you are looking at large scale production in most of Texas wind is more economical and Solar Hot Water is almost always more economical than PV.  Sorry I misuderstood what you were saying there I have just read several articles lately saying how solar PV was the greatest technology ever and was going to solve all our problems (with Germany as the example cited) and I would hate to see us get tied to one technology when there are many other good options and depending on the local environment PV, wind, geothermal, micro-hydro or a combination may be the best option depending on the circumstances.

          I also am not that familiar with how the feed in tariff works.  Could you help me out with a couple questions?  In that system do you get paid for all the electricity you produce or just what is over your own consumption? Does this policy support things like solar hot water in which no electricity is generated?

[...]

          North Texas< SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> Renewable Energy Inc
          817.917.057
          ntrei@earthlink. net

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 20 8:49 AM

            Phillip:

            Not a problem.  Most people assume PV when someone mentions solar and are unfamiliar with the panoply of other solar technologies in existence and under development.  Europe is leading the way not only in PV, but in the variety as well – including thin film and CSP.  To make another clarification about my original comment, I was speaking about Texas policy, not Federal.  The tax incentives you mention are Federal tax incentives.  My comment was about the Texas state Renewable Portfolio Standard or PRS.

            The benefit of Feed-in tariff policy is that it supports ALL renewables eqally.  Feed-in incorporate a pricing structure that allows each to be compensated for the electricity fed into the grid.  These include biomas, wind, solar (all forms,) geothermal and others.

            I recently put out bids for minor carpentry on my home.  One of the bidders, from the Woodlands was a builder from Belgium .  He and I enjoyed a lively discussion of this topic and he explained that in Europe , builders are no longer installing mechanical/electric heating/AC systems in homes.  Instead, new homes are built with a system that includes an external air envelope, geothermal pumps, solar hot water and solar roof tops.  The temperature is maintained year round at a range of 72-75 degrees F with no AC/heating.

            Tyra

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 20 12:11 PM
              Thanks.  A couple more questions it is nice to be able to ask someone who knows the policy well.  In general technologies like solar hot water and geothermal don't create electiricity they simply reduce the amount of electricity or natural gas that a home owner needs, is there a mechanism in the Feed in Tarriff policy to incentivize these type of technologies?  With reguard to Solar PV, wind or other electricity generating technologies does the policy pay (or reward) the homeowner for all the electricity the system produces or just what it produces above what the homeowner consumes?

              Thanks,

              Phillip

              Not a problem.  Most people assume PV when someone mentions solar and are unfamiliar with the panoply of other solar technologies in existence and under development.  Europe is leading the way not only in PV, but in the variety as well – including thin film and CSP.  To make another clarification about my original comment, I was speaking about Texas policy, not Federal.  The tax incentives you mention are Federal tax incentives.  My comment was about the Texas state Renewable Portfolio Standard or PRS.

              The benefit of Feed-in tariff policy is that it supports ALL renewables eqally.  Feed-in incorporate a pricing structure that allows each to be compensated for the electricity fed into the grid.  These include biomas, wind, solar (all forms,) geothermal and others.

              I recently put out bids for minor carpentry on my home.  One of the bidders, from the Woodlands was a builder from Belgium.&n bsp; He and I enjoyed a lively discussion of this topic and he explained that in Europe, builders are no longer installing mechanical/electric heating/AC systems in homes.  Instead, new homes are built with a system that includes an external air envelope, geothermal pumps, solar hot water and solar roof tops.  The temperature is maintained year round at a range of 72-75 degrees F with no AC/heating.

              Tyra

> [...]

              Tyra

              Why is it exactly that we would want to promote solar PV above all the other types of renewable energy?  Solar PV already has significantly more incentives than other renewable energy o ptions and still they often out compete it.  To me the key to renewable energy is the application of the right technology at the right place not trying to fit the same technology into use everywhere.  Why right policy that tries to force Solar PV if for a particular area wind is a better option?

              Phillip

              How is this different from getting a loan from a bank?

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, Jim Hudson <jim.hudson@. ..> wrote:

              > Check out the link below about the proposed HB 1391. This could be very exciting for the solar industry and Texas residents.

              =0 A