Fwd: 69 Solar Bills

  • David Power
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16 9:21 PM
      Forwarded to me.

      Friends,

      Wow, with the deadline to file bills having passed on Friday, there have been at least 69 bills to promote solar power and other renewable energy technologies, a record! Plus, there are at least another 35 bills promoting energy efficiency. Lots of great ideas out there, now it’s time to pass some laws!

      Momentum continues to build at the local level. The city council of Austin just voted to approve the construction of the largest solar photovoltaic array in America. On Thursday, the city council of San Antonio voted to require all new buildings to be 15 percent more energy-efficient than currently required. According to our analysis, if the whole state of Texas adopted these latest building standards, we’d save enough electricity to power 650,000 homes a year. The State Energy Conservation Office will begin a rulemaking to adopt these standards in the coming weeks (also, SB 16 would require the adoption).

      More than 100 people in San Antonio joined us for a town hall meeting with Congressman Charlie Gonzalez to discuss upcoming global warming and clean energy legislation.

      Today, Environment Texas unveiled the entries in our solar video contest. You can view them and vote for your favoritehere.

      Finally, don’t miss the upcoming Lone Star Solar Summit at Texas State Technical College at Sweetwater from April 20 to 21. Call 325-235-1215 for more information.

      Sincerely,

      Luke

      Luke Metzger
      Director, Environment Texas