Home made Solar Panels

  • priyanka johri
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
      Thank you both for answering me.
      Jim as a professional I can see why you are squimish about some one building a panel at home. I understand your concern. I will do more reserch on this.
      Robert thanks for the encouragement. As you have done it yourself would you mind sharing with me and other people here where to start. Good books or websites that you can recommend. I have an animal sanctuary and I need to get the electricity for the shelter. Its a small building 12'X36'. And I need to runfew lights, couple of fans, window ac unit for summer and 4 small plug in heaters for winter. Oh and a small TV. Our older dogs like to relax on the sofa and watch TV to feel at home :).
      thanks
      Priyanka
      Priyanka Johri - 832-277-3577
      Pure Mutts Animal Sanctuary - www.PureMuttsAnimalSanctuary.com
      Virtual real Estate - www.GreenHomesEcoRealty.com

      Indus Valley Yoga - www.IndusValleyYoga.com

      i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
      Join me

      Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:02:47 +0000
      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] Digest Number 2200

      Messages In This Digest (1 Message)

      Message

      1a.

      Re: home made solar panels are a bad idea.

      Posted by: "Robert Foster" rfoster@...

      Wed Mar 4, 2009 3:17 am (PST)

      Hi Jim,

      Don't be so harsh on Priyank!. Building your own PV module is a great
      learning experience and I learned a lot building my own back in the
      '80's when I started in PV. Usually the same solar companies selling
      the quality factory built modules are the same ones selling their
      reject cells to do it youselfers and developing countries (e.g.,
      SuniSolar in Nicaragua uses landmine victims to build their own -
      it's a great program). You need to get on the suppliers case for
      selling reject cells.

      But yes, you will never be able to achieve the same quality as
      factory built and they cannot be used legally in commercial
      installations in the U.S.

      If the do it yourself modules are used at lower voltages (e.g. 12 V),
      they do not represent a danger. It's when they are used at higher
      voltages on grid-tied systems that problems arise like the example
      (although rare) that you cited.

      Take care,

      Robert Foster

      Cat Fanatics
      on Yahoo! Groups
      Find people who are
      crazy about cats.
      Health Groups
      for people over 40
      Join people who are
      staying in shape.
      Find helpful tips
      for Moderators
      on the Yahoo!
      Groups team blog.
      Need to Reply?
    • Jim & Janet
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
        Priyanka
        generally PV manufacturers will have a certain number of blemished modules as well as low/out of tolerance modules that they will sell at a discounted price. Usually though the blems are snatched up by distributors who can sell them to budget minded installers or DIYers who are interested only in power output and not the looks.
        As for the underperforming modules, I have never seen them advertised for sale. This may be an item they might remove their name from and sell at a bigger discount.
        I do know that PV mfgrs get many hundreds of requests for donated modules every month so are not likely to go that route without the recipient having a really good cause. It may start with a 501c3 status.
        Now the bigger distributors may have odd module lots left unsold, just 3 or 4 of a discontinued size f'rinstance. You might find some deals there if you look. Module mfgrs will list their major distributors on their www site.
        Good luck with the project.
        Jim

        Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:02:47 +0000
        From: hreg@yahoogroups. com
        To: hreg@yahoogroups. com

        Posted by: "Robert Foster" rfoster@nmsu. edu

        Wed Mar 4, 2009 3:17 am (PST)

        Hi Jim,

        Don't be so harsh on Priyank!. Building your own PV module is a great
        learning experience and I learned a lot building my own back in the
        '80's when I started in PV. Usually the same solar companies selling
        the quality factory built modules are the same ones selling their
        reject cells to do it youselfers and developing countries (e.g.,
        SuniSolar in Nicaragua uses landmine victims to build their own -
        it's a great program). You need to get on the suppliers case for
        selling reject cells.

        But yes, you will never be able to achieve the same quality as
        factory built and they cannot be used legally in commercial
        installations in the U.S.

        If the do it yourself modules are used at lower voltages (e.g. 12 V),
        they do not represent a danger. It's when they are used at higher
        voltages on grid-tied systems that problems arise like the example
        (although rare) that you cited.

        Take care,

        Robert Foster

        On Mar 2, 2009, at 8:52 PM, Jim & Janet wrote:

        > Priyanks
        > there is a reason that commercial solar PV modules are so
        > expensive, they are manufactured to meet very strict safety
        > standards. I have attached a picture, it will be scrubbed by the
        > HREG/yahoo site but it will go to you personally. You may want to
        > post it on the Yahoo HREG site for all to see.
        > It's a picture of some home made PV panels. The rain caused them to
        > short and catch fire. As you can see, the clear covering on the
        > modules melted; it's not even glass.
        > The jerk who wrote that book has sold hundreds, maybe thousands, of
        > copies and any number of people who have built their own are at
        > risk of fire, electric shock or, if they are lucky, finding the
        > modules just quit working.
        > The UL certification mean the device that carries the stamp has
        > been tested in drastic conditions of hot-cold, wet-dry, flexing and
        > any number of abusive conditions. Please don't waste your money on
        > the book. Besides any corporation, for profit or non, would be
        > taking a huge risk by not obeying local building and electrical
        > codes and installing those.
        > I'm not slamming you personally Priyanks, please don't take it that
        > way. I am just very worried about the proliferation of information
        > like this in a time that people are looking for ways to save money.
        >
        > thanks
        > Jim Duncan
        > North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
        > 817.917.0527
        > ntrei@earthlink. net
        > www.ntrei.com

      • Robert Foster
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2009
          Hi Priyanka,

          Richard Kompf's book Practical Photovoltaics is a good starting point.

          I'd recommend taking one of the solar training courses offered by such groups as Solar Energy International (SEI). They sometimes do a developing world PV training course with Suni-Solar/Grupo Fenix in Nicaragua (Susan Kinne), who has built their own modules. See http://www.solarenergy.org/

          Try to use passive solar design on your animal sanctuary (overhangs, mass floor, insulation, south glazing, E-W axis, etc.). This will go a long way to reducing your heating needs in winter and cooling needs in summer. Check out the passive solar section on the El Paso Solar Energy Association website, see    www.epsea.org

          A PV system to run this type of facility will not be that large. You might want to check out the Sheldon Lake Park PV/wind system in your area for some ideas.

          I'm happy to review any PV/building designs you guys come up with for the animal sanctuary.

          Best regards,

          Robert Foster

          Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:02:47 +0000
          From: hreg@yahoogroups.com
          To: hreg@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
          Yahoo! Groups
          Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
          Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to Traditional

        • priyankajohri1
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
            Thanks Jim.
            I will check out their websites for discounted panels. Any companies in India that you recommend?
            regards
            priyanka
            fr--- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@...> wrote:

            > Priyanka
            > generally PV manufacturers will have a certain number of blemished modules as well as low/out of tolerance modules that they will sell at a discounted price. Usually though the blems are snatched up by distributors who can sell them to budget minded installers or DIYers who are interested only in power output and not the looks.
            > As for the underperforming modules, I have never seen them advertised for sale. This may be an item they might remove their name from and sell at a bigger discount.
            > I do know that PV mfgrs get many hundreds of requests for donated modules every month so are not likely to go that route without the recipient having a really good cause. It may start with a 501c3 status.
            > Now the bigger distributors may have odd module lots left unsold, just 3 or 4 of a discontinued size f'rinstance. You might find some deals there if you look. Module mfgrs will list their major distributors on their www site.
            > Good luck with the project.
            > Jim

          • Jim & Janet
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
              Check SolarBuzz for a complete list of PV manufacturers around the world.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
                Thanks Robert. Sorry about the late reply. Had some animal emergencies.
                Thanks for all the info. I really want to attend one of these training courses. I am looking into Austin based group who installs solar panels for low income people. I have been planning to go to Sheldone park but haven't made it yet.
                I appreciate your offer. I already live in a passive solar house and most of the time dogs hang out in the main house. I moved in around 8 months back. It was build in 1985 so its not the most efficient one but they have incorporated most of the concepts. House needs some improvements to make it more efficient. May be you can give me some pointers. I want to eventually install solar panel for this building and water harvesting system too. I have a Green Yoga Studio at the bottom and I live in a top section with the pack.
                I also have a insulated Metal building that used to be an office that I moved on the property and this is a "Dog Play House" with deck and plastic pool outside :). I want to put solar panel on this metal building. I am also planning to get a recycled storage container and convert it into a quarentine quarters. So solar panel will provide power to these two structures.
                I want to build cover over the deck to creat a covered porch for dogs to hang out at but my concern is it will be realy cold in the winter because of this. And dogs love to sun themselves on the deck and in the sand box next to the building during winter time. The way building is set up its long axis is sitting SE NW.
                Thanks for your advice.
                regards
                priyanka

                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Robert Foster <rfoster@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > Cat Fanatics
                > > on Yahoo! Groups
                > > Find people who are
                > > crazy about cats.
                > > Health Groups
                > > for people over 40
                > > Join people who are
                > > staying in shape.
                > > Find helpful tips
                > > for Moderators
                > > on the Yahoo!
                > > Groups team blog.
                > > Need to Reply?
                > > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in
                > > the Daily Digest.
                > > Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
                > > Messages | Files | Photos | Links |
                > > From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods
                > >
                > > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
                > > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch

              • priyankajohri1
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 11, 2009
                  Thanks Jim.