Press Conference on the Need for bold Climate Policy at Congressman Gene Green's North Office

  • C S
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2009

      On Monday, March 2nd, there will be a press conference outside Congressman Gene Green’s north office to publicize our concerns about climate change and the need for Congressman Green and other federal officials to adopt strong climate legislation.

      Where: Gene Green’s North office located at: 256 N. Sam Houston Pkwy. E., Suite 29, Houston, TX 77060

      Why: To bring local awareness to the efforts of the Powershift lobby day in Washington DC . Friday, February 27, as part of Powershift’s campaign, 10,000 young people will descend onWashingtonDC to hold our elected officials accountable for rebuilding our economy and reclaiming our future through bold climate and clean energy policy. As students visit Green’s DC office and we will show up at one Green’s North offices here inHouston .

      The lobby day visit will consist of two portions: 1 - delivering the climate principles to Congressman Green or his staff and asking for a strong commitment to them, 2- a media event where organizations and individuals can express their concerns about climate change and some of the opportunities inherent in the efforts to avert the worst of it.

      These principles include:

      ·    reductions in CO2 emissions on the scale of 25-40% by 2020 and 80% by 2050 (below 1990 levels), as recommended by the IPCC

      ·    full auction of carbon credits with minimal offsets and strict oversight to prevent gaming the system

      ·    allocation of auction revenue should be returned to states, industries, and programs based on emissions reduction potential (so Texas gets its fair share- as the current #1 emitter we should also receive the most revenue)

      ·    help for affected communities including worker retraining and transition and energy efficiency upgrades for low income households

      If you or your organization is willing to participate, you can help provide input on these and other principles.

      We need to show that we are many in number and that the call for bold action on climate change is emanating from a diverse and widespread coalition of significant individuals and organizations. Please feel free to bring out brothers, sister, mothers, friends, cousins, colleagues, children, grandchildren and any one else you can think of to help bolster our numbers.

      The following is a list of just a few of the organizations and individuals who are expected to be at the press conference:

      Public Citizen

      Texas Climate Emergency Campaign

      Sierra Club

      GHASP (Galveston-Houston Alliance for Smog Prevention)

      Mothers for Clean Air

      Health Professionals for Clean Air

      CLEAN (Citizens’ League for Environmental Action Now)

      SEIU local 100

      TEJAS ( Texas Environmental Justice Advocacy Services)

      Progressive Action Alliance

      Houston Institute for Culture

      Texas Farmers’ Union

      Ron Sass – Harry C. and Olga Keith Wiess Professor of Natural Sciences,  Rice University, member of the Nobel Prize winning IPCC

      Father Gerry Kelly – Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers & Chair of the Texas Mission Council

      Annica Gorham – Director of Houston  Interfaith Worker Justice Center

      Dr. Renard Thomas - Assistant Professor of Environmental Chemistry, Texas Southern University

      Carroll G. Robinson - Associate Professor at the Barbara Jordan-Mickey Leland School of Public Affairs at Texas Southern University

      Martina Cartwright - Director, Environmental Law and Justice Center , Texas Southern University-Thurgood Marshall School of La

      For more information on the event and to RSVP, please call Charles Stillman of 1SKY & Texas Climate Emergency Campaign at: 713 540-0406 or email him at: charlestexasclimate@....