Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Case Study

  • Chris Boyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2009
      Check out the attached case study.  Installing a higher efficiency AC (from ~8 to 14 SEER), attic insulation, CFLs, and other small stuff reduced electrical consumption by 43%; then, a relatively small PV system produces most of the power for the rest of the year (except the summer AC).

      Overall, electrical consumption was reduced by 77% in this home.  Imagine if everyone did that - then, there would be excess electrical generation capacity for electric vehicles.

      Now with the Stimulus bill passed, many of these improvements are FREE.  Wow!

      -Chris

    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2009

        Chris, nice report.  One criticism, though.  I know you are trying to be non-promotional for specific brands, but when I write scientific papers in my field, I am expected to provide sufficient detail that someone else could reproduce the experiment.  Thus, the report would be much more useful if we readers had some additional details, such as:  (1) brand and model of A/C installed, and if it was both compressor and condenser units; (b) type of insulation present and added; (c) types of windows present; (d) floor plan, elevation and orientation of the home (photo would be nice); (d) brands/models of solar equipment added.  Maybe you can provide that in an expanded report.

        Thanks,

        Robert Johnston

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2009

          What specific FREE improvements have been enabled for Houston in the Stimulus Bill?  How can I find out more info on these free improvements.