Workshops to Save energy, save the climate

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2009
      Learn how you can save money on your electric,
      gas and water bills while you help clean up the
      Houston environment and reduce CO2
      emissions. This workshop series by Greener
      Living in Houston in collaboration with the City
      of Houston is being offered in three locations in
      March. You will learn what changes to make to
      your home and habits to reduce your energy
      bills. We'll talk about how to save electricity,
      natural gas, gasoline, water and to recycle. I
      thought I knew all about that, but learned a lot more.

      Energy efficiency could be a big part of the
      climate solution say Princeton professors Socolow
      and Pacala in their famous 2006 article on
      climate wedges in Science Magazine. They say the
      technology needed to protect the climate already
      exists, we just have to use it. For example,
      the common incandescent light bulb wastes 95% of
      the electricity it uses in producing
      heat. Replacing one bulb with a compact
      florescent bulb can save you $50 over the life of the bulb.

      We can cut our energy use by 10% to 30% using no
      cost techniques says Houston environmental lawyer
      Jim Blackburn. For example, turning down your
      hot water heater to 120 degrees might save you
      $50 per year. By investing in caulk or insulation, you can save more.

      When you have finished this 4 session series you will:
      • Have saved at least $30 and learned how to save much more;
      • Have learned many energy saving techniques;
      • Planned to make additional changes in order to save energy;
      • Know where to look for additional information on how to save energy;
      • Know where to buy energy saving products;
      • Have seen and touched energy saving products
      • Have seen a demonstration(s) of energy saving product installation
      • Know how to calculate a carbon footprint
      ••And if you finish the optional fifth workshop
      you will know how to organize an energy saving group in your neighborhood.

      Three workshops series will be offered (the same
      series in three different locations):

      Tuesday evenings March 3, 10, 17, 24, and 31 at
      Zion Lutheran Church, 3630 Beauchamp Street in
      the Heights from 6:30 to 8:45 pm. Your
      facilitator will be Betina Wolfowicz who teaches
      Environmental Science at HSPVA.

      Monday evenings: March 9, 16, 23, 30 and April
      6th at Emerson Unitarian Universalist Church,
      1900 Bering Drive in the Memorial area from
      6:30-8:45 pm. Your facilitator will be Caleb
      Crow, Program Manager with the Clinton Climate
      Initiative. Mr. Crow is an energy efficiency
      engineer and solar electric installer. Childcare
      will be provided at no cost courtesy of Emerson
      Unitarian Universalist Church to participants in
      the Energy Saving workshops; however,
      preregistration is required no later than the
      Wednesday prior to each class. Please contact
      Karen Van Horn at 713-782-8250 or
      Karen@... for childcare reservations.

      Saturday mornings: March 14, 21, 28 and April 4
      and 11 at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church,
      3471 Westheimer near River Oaks from 9:30 to 12
      noon. Your facilitator will be Debbie Antoon who
      teaches Sustainable Gardening for Urban Harvest.

      Workshop size is limited. To sign up, email Nancy
      Edwards
      <<mailto:needwards@...>needwards@...> or phone 713-661-9737

      Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

      Action is the antidote to despair....