Tree Thoughts

  • Ristroph
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2001
      Most of the tree legislation I have seen is done
      by municipalities, or in subidvision deed restrictions.
      State legislatures are involved only to the point of
      ENABLING municipalities and/or counties in that
      level of regulation. Current work at the state level
      in Texas is aimed at legislation giving counties the
      power to regulate by ordinance. (Cities already
      have the power.) Since most of the growth is taking
      place outside of city limits, I am very much in favor
      of that proposal.

      The replacement verbage in landscape ordinances
      usually refers to diameter inch: For a tree of 12" diameter
      removed, a replacement of six 2" diameter trees would
      be acceptable. Or twelve 1" trees. Obviously, this does
      not replace the mature canopy but it's a start. San Diego
      probably has the oldest, most detailed landscape
      ordinance. Portland, OR also.

      I have the name of a Tomball business that is developing
      ways to transplant large trees economically, using heavy
      one-of-a-kind equipment if any one is interested.

      The Mayor of Houston is in the process of forming a
      "Green Ribbon" committee to promote a tree ordinance for
      Houston. Someone close to that activity in the Mayor's office
      told me he favored going for a replacement requirement based
      on AREA, not diameter. So (A=pi r squared) and that
      12" tree would be replaced by 36 trees of 1" diameter instead
      of just twelve trees under the diameter rule. (Did I do that
      right? The one-inch trees each have an area of pi square inches,
      right?)

      I better shut up. I am getting in trouble here.

      Anyway, the BAD news is that it is expected to apply only to trees
      on public property at first. Seems to me the Mayor could just tell
      the city employees to follow the rule instead of having a committee,
      and ordinance, etc.

      Marie Gibbens Ristroph
      33819 Cripple Creek Road
      Pinehurst, TX 77362
      (281) 356-7397 or mobile/voice mail (281) 467-4255
      ris@...

      "Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
      you can't see from the center."
      --- Kurt Vonnegut