Re: [hreg] Talk on Climate Sunday 1:15

  • Karl Bernard
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2009
      Where will this meeting be held and is there an admission charge?

      Thanks,

      Karl

      On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Nan Hildreth <nanhildreth@...> wrote:
      "Global Warming And Lessons from Living in Space" a talk at the next
      Houston Climate Protection Alliance meeting on Sunday February 1st,
      1:15pm.   Michael Lutomski, Risk Manager for the International Space
      Station in NASA will give the talk.   Mike has had a calling to face
      the climate disruption challenge and so has prepared this slide
      show.   Mike says the risk management concepts he uses for the
      International Space Station apply to thinking about the various forms
      of climate disruption that are possible.   Mike says that on the
      International Space Station waste and water must be recycled and so
      have valuable lessons for our life on Spaceship Earth.  Mike will be
      representing only himself during this presentation.

      After Mr. Lutomski's talk, we'll have a brief round table discussion
      on solutions to climate change.  These include energy efficiency, 4th
      generation nuclear power plants and soil carbon
      sequestration.    More carbon is currently stored in the soil than in
      the air and all plants.   When charcoal is added to the soil, it is
      essentially a permanent sequestration and improves soil fertility. If
      10% of the annual growth in plant matter were charred and added to
      the soil, humanity could zero out the climate impact of our fossil fuel use.

      At the end of the meeting we will review action opportunities
      available in Congress and the Texas Legislature.

      Nan Hildreth   NanHildreth@...
      Houston    713-842-6643

      "An authentic movement is not a play for power - it is teaching and
      learning writ large."  "Now the world becomes our classroom, and the
      potential to teach and learn is found everywhere.  We need only be in
      the world as our true selves, with open hearts and minds."

      "the simple choice to live with integrity can have far-reaching effects."

      Palker Palmer in Yes! Magazine
      http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=796

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional