Re: [hreg] Our Own Trees and the Rain forests

  • boylss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
      Thanks so much, Marie, for the info.

      I appreciate your taking the time to send it to me.  I will go to the
      library today!

      Thanks.  Be Happy!  Saundra
    • Dan from Texas
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
        I would be interested in knowing how to get a state rep to sponser a bill requiring any company that develops any wooded land for any purpose to plant 5 tress for every one that the cut down or cause to die from development activities.  I know that there are other states that have inacted this type of legislation and also require these companies to even replace any trees that die for what ever reason for up to 5 years after it is planted.

        Dan Stuettgen

        [Dan from Texas] -----Original Message-----
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
          hi Dan,

              I don;t know the answer to your question, but I think that's a good
          idea.  Replacement Trees might help a little.  Or maybe it would help the
          builder to decide to build around the trees instead of cutting them down.  I
          hope you find out, who "will" sponsor a bill.
          (Replacement trees take a many years to form a large canopy, however.)
          Replacement trees would certainly be better than ending up with NO TREES, huh?

          Thanks.  Be Happy!  Saundra
        • Marge Wood
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
            You can find your state representative and go visit him/her (make an
            appointment first) and talk about it and stay after him/her to work on
            it. If you find several other state reps who think it is a good idea, you
            will increase your chances of making it happen. If you have a lot of
            friends who like the idea who will write, call or go with you to visit
            your state rep, you have a better chance. If you have a lawyer friend who
            will help you write it up, it helps. You might join the Sierra Club; they
            probably would like that idea.
            Marge
            On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:10:12 EST boylss@... writes:
            > hi Dan,
            >
            > I don;t know the answer to your question, but I think that's a
            > good
            > idea. Replacement Trees might help a little. Or maybe it would
            > help the
            > builder to decide to build around the trees instead of cutting them
            > down. I
            > hope you find out, who "will" sponsor a bill.
            > (Replacement trees take a many years to form a large canopy,
            > however.)
            > Replacement trees would certainly be better than ending up with NO
            > TREES, huh?
            >
            > Thanks. Be Happy! Saundra
          • Jonathan Clemens
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
              I would recommend asking the Sierra Club's Conservation chairman about how or who to get a state rep to sponsor a tree bill.  Contact Frank Blake:

              Jonathan