Re: [hreg] Our Own Trees and the Rain forests

  • Ristroph
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
      Oh, yeah. Regarding contacting political representatives.

      The League of Women Voters puts out a little pamphlet (FREE
      at your public library, or available from the LWV) with all
      the contact information. The one updated from the last
      election is just out.

      -- Marie R.
      Marie Gibbens Ristroph
      SPRING CREEK WATERSHED INITIATIVE
      33819 Cripple Creek Road
      Pinehurst, TX 77362
      (281) 356-7397 or mobile/voice mail (281) 467-4255
      ris@...

      "Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
      you can't see from the center."
      --- Kurt Vonnegut
    • Steve Shepard
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
        Thank you for mentioning this.

        There is radical deforestation occurring right here in our own urban centers.  San Antonio is literally razing the landscape in order to clear area for new construction.  We used to be able to drive Loop 1604 West and see hills covered with trees.  Now, more and more, all one can see are poorly built buildings.  With little or no energy conservation built in, I might add.

        San Antonio pretended to enact a tree ordinance several years ago.  The ordinance was written by selected members of the Builder's Association and obviously written in order to favor the building industry.  Needless to say the ordinance is a farce and a sham and the trees in San Antonio are becoming fewer and fewer by the minute.

        This municipality is out of control in many ways.  If SA and Austin continue to annex and grow north and northwest Texans had best come on up and see the Hill Country and Edwards Plateau while they can.  It won't be here much longer.

        Strongly recommend we do what we can to clean up own act and environmental self destruction before we run off and try to save the rain forest of another country.

        SBT Designs
        25840 IH-10 West #1
        Boerne, Texas 78006
        210-698-7109
        www.sbtdesigns.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
            Thanks so much, Marie, for the info.

            I appreciate your taking the time to send it to me.  I will go to the
            library today!

            Thanks.  Be Happy!  Saundra
          • Dan from Texas
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
              I would be interested in knowing how to get a state rep to sponser a bill requiring any company that develops any wooded land for any purpose to plant 5 tress for every one that the cut down or cause to die from development activities.  I know that there are other states that have inacted this type of legislation and also require these companies to even replace any trees that die for what ever reason for up to 5 years after it is planted.

              Dan Stuettgen

              [Dan from Texas] -----Original Message-----

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
                hi Dan,

                    I don;t know the answer to your question, but I think that's a good
                idea.  Replacement Trees might help a little.  Or maybe it would help the
                builder to decide to build around the trees instead of cutting them down.  I
                hope you find out, who "will" sponsor a bill.
                (Replacement trees take a many years to form a large canopy, however.)
                Replacement trees would certainly be better than ending up with NO TREES, huh?

                Thanks.  Be Happy!  Saundra
              • Marge Wood
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
                  You can find your state representative and go visit him/her (make an
                  appointment first) and talk about it and stay after him/her to work on
                  it. If you find several other state reps who think it is a good idea, you
                  will increase your chances of making it happen. If you have a lot of
                  friends who like the idea who will write, call or go with you to visit
                  your state rep, you have a better chance. If you have a lawyer friend who
                  will help you write it up, it helps. You might join the Sierra Club; they
                  probably would like that idea.
                  Marge
                  On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:10:12 EST boylss@... writes:
                  > hi Dan,
                  >
                  > I don;t know the answer to your question, but I think that's a
                  > good
                  > idea. Replacement Trees might help a little. Or maybe it would
                  > help the
                  > builder to decide to build around the trees instead of cutting them
                  > down. I
                  > hope you find out, who "will" sponsor a bill.
                  > (Replacement trees take a many years to form a large canopy,
                  > however.)
                  > Replacement trees would certainly be better than ending up with NO
                  > TREES, huh?
                  >
                  > Thanks. Be Happy! Saundra
                • Jonathan Clemens
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                    I would recommend asking the Sierra Club's Conservation chairman about how or who to get a state rep to sponsor a tree bill.  Contact Frank Blake:

                    Jonathan