Our Own Trees and the Rain forests

  • boylss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
      I am a member of The National Arbor Day Foundation.  I am for saving the Rain
      Forests every where, of course.

      However,

      What concerns me, even more than saving the Rainforest, is that we don't even
      try to "Save Our Own Trees."

      We are not paying attention to "Our Own, Area's Trees."

      All over the Houston Metropolitan Area, the builders are going into our few,
      small, forested areas, that we have left, and leveling the land.  They cut
      down almost every Tree, many times they cut down (All of the Trees.)  How
      many years will this continue?  What will be left of the Trees before someone
      finally figures out that you can't replace the benefits of a Large, 100 to
      200 year old Tree?

      I understand that it is cheaper for the builder to build, if, there are no
      Trees to work around, but "Saving the Trees," is done in a few area's, like
      The Woodlands, etc., so, we know it can be done.

      We talk about saving everything else, We fuss about the pollution, but, no
      one seems to think or talk about, what happens with pollution when there are
      "NO TREES LEFT" to filter/clean the air we breath.  Will we eventual all die
      because Man Destroyed Natures Necessities?  Trees are what give Us Oxygen and
      Clean up our Air.  Without Trees, Nothing, could live on earth.

      How many people know that this area has a Major Problem that is consuming our
      Trees?  Our TREES, Yours and Mine, all over this part of Texas, the "Trees
      are dying" from diseases and also, from some kind of, accidentally, imported,
      Beetle?  I work all over Houston and see many, many Dying Trees, especially,
      on the North side where we still have Some, Old Tree Forests.  Do you or we
      realize that many of the trees that are in this Dangerous Environment are 100
      years old and older.  We should all be worried enough about these facts, that
      we should do something.  Is Man his own worst enemy?  I am afraid that he
      is....... I just don't know who we need to tell locally, that, "They," who
      ever "They" are, should stop giving out the permits to cut down our Healthily
      Trees and direct "Whom ever" to Doctor Our Sick Trees, before it is to late.

      Houston is way up, at the top of the list, when it comes to, "the most
      polluted cities" in which to live.  Why doesn't anyone ever do anything about
      Saving Our Very Own Trees?

      I think every one should Plant Trees, not cut them down and WE SHOULD BE
      DOCTORING our Diseased Trees.

      Who do we "all" need to ask, to SAVE OUR TREES?  Does anyone have addresses
      or email addresses to the Officials or State Representatives or who ever,
      that might help save our Trees?

    • Ristroph
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
        You are exactly right, and several groups are working toward
        that end, not the least of which is

        Gulf Coast Initiatives and Liveable Houston

        both at http://www.gulfcoastideas.org/

        and there's my group, on the north side of town

        http://www.bayoupreservation.org/news.html

        and go to "Watershed Updates," "Other Watersheds,"
        and "Spring Creek."

        Talk to David Crossley at Gulf Coast. He is looking for
        activists to lead the push for a tree ordinance in Houston.

        Best of luck,
        --- Marie R.
        Marie Gibbens Ristroph
        SPRING CREEK WATERSHED INITIATIVE
        33819 Cripple Creek Road
        Pinehurst, TX 77362
        (281) 356-7397 or mobile/voice mail (281) 467-4255
        ris@...

        "Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
        you can't see from the center."
        --- Kurt Vonnegut
      • Ristroph
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
          Oh, yeah. Regarding contacting political representatives.

          The League of Women Voters puts out a little pamphlet (FREE
          at your public library, or available from the LWV) with all
          the contact information. The one updated from the last
          election is just out.

          -- Marie R.
          Marie Gibbens Ristroph
          SPRING CREEK WATERSHED INITIATIVE
          33819 Cripple Creek Road
          Pinehurst, TX 77362
          (281) 356-7397 or mobile/voice mail (281) 467-4255
          ris@...

          "Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
          you can't see from the center."
          --- Kurt Vonnegut
        • Steve Shepard
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
            Thank you for mentioning this.

            There is radical deforestation occurring right here in our own urban centers.  San Antonio is literally razing the landscape in order to clear area for new construction.  We used to be able to drive Loop 1604 West and see hills covered with trees.  Now, more and more, all one can see are poorly built buildings.  With little or no energy conservation built in, I might add.

            San Antonio pretended to enact a tree ordinance several years ago.  The ordinance was written by selected members of the Builder's Association and obviously written in order to favor the building industry.  Needless to say the ordinance is a farce and a sham and the trees in San Antonio are becoming fewer and fewer by the minute.

            This municipality is out of control in many ways.  If SA and Austin continue to annex and grow north and northwest Texans had best come on up and see the Hill Country and Edwards Plateau while they can.  It won't be here much longer.

            Strongly recommend we do what we can to clean up own act and environmental self destruction before we run off and try to save the rain forest of another country.

            SBT Designs
            25840 IH-10 West #1
            Boerne, Texas 78006
            210-698-7109
            www.sbtdesigns.com
            Good points,  I think it was Channel 11 that ran a special on that very topic last night, used Landsat photo's to show the deforestation North of Houston, estimated the percentage of forest canopy lost, and estimated the cost to Houston in terms of pollution, respiratory illnesses, etc...

            On a personal note, I couldn't agree more, when we moved into our home 15 years ago there were no "real" trees in our entire subdivision, so I organized a neighborhood tree planting, and we planted about 150 live oaks in a small portion of the subdivision.  Today, that section has a nice canopy almost bridging across the streets, we have more birds, squirrels and other wildlife than any other section, and it just plain looks nice.

            On the downside I think I'm now allergic to oak pollen, but it's a small price to pay for the beauty, shade and oxygen.  Regards,   Kevin

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
                Thanks so much, Marie, for the info.

                I appreciate your taking the time to send it to me.  I will go to the
                library today!

                Thanks.  Be Happy!  Saundra
              • Dan from Texas
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
                  I would be interested in knowing how to get a state rep to sponser a bill requiring any company that develops any wooded land for any purpose to plant 5 tress for every one that the cut down or cause to die from development activities.  I know that there are other states that have inacted this type of legislation and also require these companies to even replace any trees that die for what ever reason for up to 5 years after it is planted.

                  Dan Stuettgen

                  [Dan from Texas] -----Original Message-----

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
                    hi Dan,

                        I don;t know the answer to your question, but I think that's a good
                    idea.  Replacement Trees might help a little.  Or maybe it would help the
                    builder to decide to build around the trees instead of cutting them down.  I
                    hope you find out, who "will" sponsor a bill.
                    (Replacement trees take a many years to form a large canopy, however.)
                    Replacement trees would certainly be better than ending up with NO TREES, huh?

                    Thanks.  Be Happy!  Saundra
                  • Marge Wood
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
                      You can find your state representative and go visit him/her (make an
                      appointment first) and talk about it and stay after him/her to work on
                      it. If you find several other state reps who think it is a good idea, you
                      will increase your chances of making it happen. If you have a lot of
                      friends who like the idea who will write, call or go with you to visit
                      your state rep, you have a better chance. If you have a lawyer friend who
                      will help you write it up, it helps. You might join the Sierra Club; they
                      probably would like that idea.
                      Marge
                      On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:10:12 EST boylss@... writes:
                      > hi Dan,
                      >
                      > I don;t know the answer to your question, but I think that's a
                      > good
                      > idea. Replacement Trees might help a little. Or maybe it would
                      > help the
                      > builder to decide to build around the trees instead of cutting them
                      > down. I
                      > hope you find out, who "will" sponsor a bill.
                      > (Replacement trees take a many years to form a large canopy,
                      > however.)
                      > Replacement trees would certainly be better than ending up with NO
                      > TREES, huh?
                      >
                      > Thanks. Be Happy! Saundra
                    • Jonathan Clemens
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                        I would recommend asking the Sierra Club's Conservation chairman about how or who to get a state rep to sponsor a tree bill.  Contact Frank Blake:

                        Jonathan