Solar Classes at HCC

  • Chris Boyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
      Several of you have asked about solar classes in Houston.  Dr. John Galiotos is organizing a program through the HCC Energy Institute.  The classes are not yet on the HCC schedule.  You can find more information about the Energy Institute at:

    • Don Sandros
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
        While there are no current classes in Texas (?).  Here are two (2) abbreviated list of certified classes around the country.

        don

        Several of you have asked about solar classes in Houston.  Dr. John Galiotos is organizing a program through the HCC Energy Institute.  The classes are not yet on the HCC schedule.  You can find more information about the Energy Institute at:

        Don Sandros
        SandEnergy, LLC
        525-K East Market Street # 115
        Leesburg, VA 20176-4171
        Phone: 703.777.7750
        Toll Free: 866.726.3767
        Fax: 703.738.7514
        don@...
        Member: Association of Energy Engineers
        Member: Solar Energy Industries Association
        Member: US Green Building Council
        Leadership in Energy and Environmental
        Design Chapter:Nation Capital

      • noyes livingston
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2009
          Has there been any news of the solar classes offered by HCC?  I sent an email inquiry to Dr. Galiotos but have heard nothing in return.  It would be nice to receive some meaningful feedback.

          If anyone knows of a link or point of contact for some company that sells a decent powered portable emergency system (panel, rack, inverter, charge controller) for about $1000, it would be appreciative.  I would also like to find a solar powered emergency radio that is cheap.

          I am a novice but do have a 400 watt inverter and two 12 Volt 125 Amp hour marine batteries that I used to power a medium sized fan for 8 hours a day, a fluorescent lamp for an 2 hours and a small TV for an hour during the Hurricane Ike induced power outage that lasted for 7 days in our neighborhood.

          Each battery lasted roughly 3 days before running low and I was fortunate enough to have family within ten miles where I could recharge them using a battery charger.  I would like to be able to set up something that is simple to understand and can at least keep them charged with this type of power usage in the event that I am not able to recharge these batteries via the grid.

          I would appreciate some feedback.