Re: [hreg] Digest Number 185

  • Chuck Wright
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 7:25 AM

      > Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:58:00 EST
      > From: ChasMauch@...
      > Subject: Precautionary Principle vs Risk Management
      >
      > The article copied below is the best explanation I have seen of a way of
      > approaching a lot of problems that have bothered me for a long time, such as
      > global warming, genetically altered food, "safe" levels of poisons in our
      > food and water, and even the defense budget.
      > <snip>

      Thank you for posting this, Charles. It is very good.

      I consider myself rather conservative. At, least in the sense that the word
      has the same roots as conservation, and that it means taking a cautious path.

      It is very odd to me that the most "conservative" of political "conservatives"
      seem to advocate the "don't worry, be happy, the market will handle all,
      take the foot off the brake, press the accelerator" approach.

      The article talks mainly about the risks of unfettered technology. I see an
      equally precarious future of energy supply, without which our modern world
      stops. Here again, the politial "conservatives" seem to cry "drill more, dig
      more, the market will solve all problems, just have faith", when the scientific
      evidence is to the contrary.

      Is something backwards here?

      --
      Chuck Wright
      http://www.chuck-wright.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 6:14 AM
        Please take me off of your e-mail list. I can't keep
        up with all this mail.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/