Re: Federal Incentives for Renewable Energy

  • Randy Scott
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
      I'm wondering whether this "stimulus package" will include investment
      in manufacturing. We still have a trade deficit, even in renewable
      energy where we should be putting Americans back to work.

      Over the Thanksgiving holidays I travelled way out west to visit
      family. This included a visit to the family farm where I spent my
      childhood summers. We used to sit on the front porch at night &
      listen to the pump jacks pumping oil. Now you can sit on that same
      porch and watch the windmills going around.

      My sister tells me it's the largest windfarm in North America. You
      can see it by traveling between Sweetwater and San Angelo. Mom tells
      me that Martifer, the company that is instaling the windmills, is
      opening a facility in Angelo.

      That's great, except that, according to the Work in Texas website,
      they are only hiring welders, electrical engineers and civil
      engineers. This means that they are not manufacturing the generators
      in Texas, but only the towers that they stand on. That's great for
      the welders, not so much for me, as my experience is in mechanical
      design & drafting. Can't tell the they need my job skills at all.

      So it appears that they are still designing & manufacturing in Europe
      (Martifer is Dane). So much for trade deficit.

      I'm still looking for someone actually manufacturing in Texas, not
      just assembling.

      Randy
      Drafting & Design Dept.

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Solar Energy <WhySolar@...> wrote:

      > Could this be an opportunity for small business &
      > renewable energy?  Or, will Obama stimulus package fall in the
      hands of
      > big corporations as government money usually does?  From the list
      of  the cabinet he has selected, most likely a select group of
      > companies could benefit. I could be wrong.
      >

      > Government Executive mentions
      >
      > "To counteract the economy's
      > decline, Obama said he is working with Democratic leaders on a
      recovery plan that
      > would create 2.5 million jobs through infrastructure spending;
      spending for
      > green and renewable energy; and tax cuts for the
      > middle class."
      >

      > Further down in the same article:
      >
      > "Analysts at Goldman
      > Sachs said in a research note November 21, that a stimulus package
      should total about $600
      > billion, or 4 percent of gross domestic product."

    • Randy Scott
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
        I haven't been back to the family farm in over ten years.

        http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq123/randyscott77092/Hot%20Air%
        20in%20Texas/

        http://tinyurl.com/63ebkp

        I thought you might like to see what I found in my backyard.

        Unfortunately, Greatgranddad homesteaded the valley, not the ridges,
        so we don't get any energy royalties.

        Still, it's nice to see old, conservative, redneck, republican cattle
        ranchers are being sold on the new "hippy" energy.

        Randy
      • Shafer, Mark B
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008

          http://www.pickensplan.com/theplan/

          We should have elected T Boon Pickens for president.

          Thanks for sharing the pictures.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
            A professor at the University of Manitoba in Canada wrote a nice piece on some of the hardships with the Pickens Plan.  Though I fully support the efforts behind the initiative - I think it's always nice to know the challenges.  Though, hopefully, with the upcoming political changes, environmental causes might receive more attention?

            You can read the article here

            Have a great day.

            --
            Rachel
            RachelB82@...
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2008
              Randy,
              I ran across this announcement on the Martifer web site while doing a
              little research on RE jobs.

              "In September 2008, Martifer announced that it would establish a plant
              in the United States – in Texas, in the second half of 2009."

              http://www.martifer.pt/Construction/EN/EnergyEquipments/Wind/TorresEolic
              as.html

              Here's a RE job board. Good luck.
              http://www.greenjobs.com/public/index.aspx