Federal Incentives for Renewable Energy

  • Jim & Janet
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2008
      It will indeed be a boon to the US economy.
      Now the other side of the coin.
      There was also a comment or two in Congress, met with much irriate agreement and grumbling, by members who felt that all "the pork" that was attached to the bailout bill was going to create too much deficit spending and some things may have to be cut out in the future. The solar ITC would no doubt have a big target on it considering the solid opposition for the previous 18 months prior to its passage.
      Here's hoping everyone had lots to be thankful for...
      Jim Duncan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
        I'm wondering whether this "stimulus package" will include investment
        in manufacturing. We still have a trade deficit, even in renewable
        energy where we should be putting Americans back to work.

        Over the Thanksgiving holidays I travelled way out west to visit
        family. This included a visit to the family farm where I spent my
        childhood summers. We used to sit on the front porch at night &
        listen to the pump jacks pumping oil. Now you can sit on that same
        porch and watch the windmills going around.

        My sister tells me it's the largest windfarm in North America. You
        can see it by traveling between Sweetwater and San Angelo. Mom tells
        me that Martifer, the company that is instaling the windmills, is
        opening a facility in Angelo.

        That's great, except that, according to the Work in Texas website,
        they are only hiring welders, electrical engineers and civil
        engineers. This means that they are not manufacturing the generators
        in Texas, but only the towers that they stand on. That's great for
        the welders, not so much for me, as my experience is in mechanical
        design & drafting. Can't tell the they need my job skills at all.

        So it appears that they are still designing & manufacturing in Europe
        (Martifer is Dane). So much for trade deficit.

        I'm still looking for someone actually manufacturing in Texas, not
        just assembling.

        Randy
        Drafting & Design Dept.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
          I haven't been back to the family farm in over ten years.

          http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq123/randyscott77092/Hot%20Air%
          20in%20Texas/

          http://tinyurl.com/63ebkp

          I thought you might like to see what I found in my backyard.

          Unfortunately, Greatgranddad homesteaded the valley, not the ridges,
          so we don't get any energy royalties.

          Still, it's nice to see old, conservative, redneck, republican cattle
          ranchers are being sold on the new "hippy" energy.

          Randy
        • Shafer, Mark B
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008

            http://www.pickensplan.com/theplan/

            We should have elected T Boon Pickens for president.

            Thanks for sharing the pictures.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
              A professor at the University of Manitoba in Canada wrote a nice piece on some of the hardships with the Pickens Plan.  Though I fully support the efforts behind the initiative - I think it's always nice to know the challenges.  Though, hopefully, with the upcoming political changes, environmental causes might receive more attention?

              You can read the article here

              Have a great day.

              --
              Rachel
              RachelB82@...
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 10, 2008
                Randy,
                I ran across this announcement on the Martifer web site while doing a
                little research on RE jobs.

                "In September 2008, Martifer announced that it would establish a plant
                in the United States – in Texas, in the second half of 2009."

                http://www.martifer.pt/Construction/EN/EnergyEquipments/Wind/TorresEolic
                as.html

                Here's a RE job board. Good luck.
                http://www.greenjobs.com/public/index.aspx