Solar Houston Meeting?

  • Chris Boyer
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 24, 2008
      Would the Houston solar group be interested in a social networking meeting one evening a month?  We tried this before with some success, and now I think there is a lot more people interested.  There is a lot of solar "stuff" going on in Houston; for example, did you know:
      1)  Houston has a major Polysilicon plant (raw material for solar PV).
      2)  Houston has some of Texas' first all PV neighborhoods.
      3)  The City of Houston has PV on many of its city buildings.
      4)  University of Houston has started new renewable energy efforts.
      5)  Rice has a distinguished Energy Institute with a major focus on renewables.
      6)  Houston Community College is starting Solar Technician classes in 2009.
      7)  Major White was a former Assistant Secretary of Energy and has achieved major energy improvements in Houston during his office so far.

    • noyes livingston
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 24, 2008
        Chris,

        I have been standing on the sidelines for too long, so to speak.  Your email intrigued me and I would like to move into action.  I am a school teacher and would like to become a solar installer/contractor.  The HCC program sounds exciting and a great way to get started.  Who would be a point of contact or is there a link?

        What about the same with the University of Houston?

        What subdivision is all PV?

        I look foward to your feedback.

        Noyes Livingston

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 24, 2008
          Absolutely!  Would love to see it expanded as well to include water and other issues if others are so inclined.

        • tstranger@garlandind.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 25, 2008
            That sounds great Chris. I'd be interested in these meetings, for sure.

            Ty Stranger-Thorsen, CSI, USGBC
            Houston, TX
            The Garland Company, Inc.
            www.garlandco.com
            c 281-989-1740
            f 281-754-4550

            Chris Boyer
            <boyer.chris@sbcg
            lobal.net> To
            Sent by: HREG <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
            hreg@yahoogroups. cc
            com
            Subject
            [hreg] Solar Houston Meeting?
            11/24/2008 08:45
            PM

            Please respond to
            hreg@yahoogroups.
            com

            Would the Houston solar group be interested in a social networking meeting
            one evening a month? We tried this before with some success, and now I
            think there is a lot more people interested. There is a lot of solar
            "stuff" going on in Houston; for example, did you know:

            1) Houston has a major Polysilicon plant (raw material for solar PV).
            2) Houston has some of Texas' first all PV neighborhoods.
            3) The City of Houston has PV on many of its city buildings.
            4) University of Houston has started new renewable energy efforts.
            5) Rice has a distinguished Energy Institute with a major focus on
            renewables.
            6) Houston Community College is starting Solar Technician classes in
            2009.
            7) Major White was a former Assistant Secretary of Energy and has
            achieved major energy improvements in Houston during his office so far.
          • Ralph Parrott
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 25, 2008
              Count me in Chris.

              Ralph Parrott
              APS

              Ralph Parrott

              Sent via my BlackBerry

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 25, 2008
                Great idea,
                I will be there.
                John Gardner

              • yellowstoneprk@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 25, 2008
                  agreed

                  Rue Lynn

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 25, 2008
                    I beleve that this group can hold the space for considerations of adding community planning in the spirit of green/sustainable/socially coherent life.
                       I believe that this would include community gardening, an on site meeting/learning/social space to be shared by all, with children's space for learning/recreation/music/art/drama productions.  Dream big!
                       I love this group.
                    Joseph Kaye

                    Aiming for excellence in all we do, for all we serve

                    To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                    From: yellowstoneprk@...
                    Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:47:21 -0800

                    agreed

                    Rue Lynn

[...]

                    Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.
                  • Louis L
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 25, 2008
                      Please count me in

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 25, 2008

                        Yes, would love to see / listen in on a social networking meeting.  Count us in also.

                        Jeanette

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 25, 2008

                          Count me in. Any thoughts about when and where?

                          No I didn’t know those 7 things about Houston,  and there’s plenty more about renewable energy I’d like to learn about. A social meeting of people with like interests would be great.

                          Thanks,

                          Warren Benson

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 26, 2008
                            Sign me up! Permaculture graduation comming up next week. I am excited and intend to take young people so they can see what the future looks like!

                            From: yellowstoneprk@ yahoo.com
                            Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:47:21 -0800

                            agreed

                            Rue Lynn

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 27, 2008
                              Please sign me up for the social networking group.

                              Nabil

                              To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                              From: boyer.chris@...
                              Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:44:56 -0800

                              Would the Houston solar group be interested in a social networking meeting one evening a month?  We tried this before with some success, and now I think there is a lot more people interested.  There is a lot of solar "stuff" going on in Houston; for example, did you know:
                              1)  Houston has a major Polysilicon plant (raw material for solar PV).
                              2)  Houston has some of Texas' first all PV neighborhoods.
                              3)  The City of Houston has PV on many of its city buildings.
                              4)  University of Houston has started new renewable energy efforts.
                              5)  Rice has a distinguished Energy Institute with a major focus on renewables.
                              6)  Houston Community College is starting Solar Technician classes in 2009.
                              7)  Major White was a former Assistant Secretary of Energy and has achieved major energy improvements in Houston during his office so far.

                              Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.
                            • El Sid
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 28, 2008
                                Candy is dandy but Liquor is quicker.....

                                I love the Idea Dr. Chris....

                                I got some good videos of the Solar Tour.
                                Stellar shots of Professor Kevin and Dr. Chris
                                 not sure where to post them any ideas?

[...]

                              • Kevin Conlin
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 2, 2008

                                  Professor Kevin?  I’m not losing my curmudgeon status, am I? :-)

                                  I was hoping someone could tell the group more about the energy efficient home Mayor White was talking about.  Is anyone in this group involved or have anything to share about the home and it’s features?

                                  Kevin Conlin

                                  Solarcraft, Inc.

                                  4007-C Greenbriar Drive

                                  Stafford, TX 77477

                                  Local (281) 340-1224

                                  Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                                  Fax (281) 340-1230

                                  Cell (281) 960-8979

                                  kconlin@...

                                  www.solarcraft.net

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 3, 2008

                                    El Sid,

                                       If you have still photos, you can post them on the hreg Yahoogroups site (see link below – ‘visit your group’). Videos can be posted in the files section. It’s pretty cumbersome to post multiple files, but it would be a good place to park some of your best shots.

                                    Warren

                                    Candy is dandy but Liquor is quicker.....

                                    I love the Idea Dr. Chris....

                                    I got some good videos of the Solar Tour.

                                    Stellar shots of Professor Kevin and Dr. Chris

                                     not sure where to post them any ideas?

                                    _._,_.___

                                  • phil6142@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
                                      I also would be interested in getting together for a networking event.