Re: Cost of Solar PV same as Utility Electricity

  • William
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 18, 2008
      All,
      Attached is a link to an interesting perspective from a
      Permaculture group in Australia concerning the IEA.....

      http://permaculture.org.au/2008/11/17/staring-at-the-future-from-the-
      top-of-the-slippery-slide/

      I too think it is well written, being also that it is not full of
      ideals of "stay the course." It comes from the other side of the
      world with its own hydrocarbon issues.
      In an age when we know we should be cutting back on emissions and
      developing another means of transportation we - collectively, are
      getting ready to burn the rest of our resources and release it as
      CO2.
      The Great Northwest Passage was shown on one of the TV networks last
      night. They indicate that now without the ice blocking the route it's
      a much shorter route for shipping - Hooray! But they also say it is
      one of the best areas for continued drilling and extraction of fossil
      fuels - which one is it?
      I personally believe that we have much more creativity than this -
      than we are currently using. If America decides to do something "big"
      and make major changes toward the future everybody's going to want
      in, eventually. Oil and gas technology is at its best, it has to be.
      I believe it can be a tool for many things.
      Take my flathead screwdriver for instance. It is sharp and square and
      perfect for attaching and detaching slotted screws and bolts. But it
      also doubles as many, many things. A leverage tool,paint can opener,
      chisel/wood splitter, extraction tool (magnetized) etc, etc...
      So should oil/gas technology be used for other methods of energy
      extraction.
      We have to.

      Bill
      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Beck" <eco@...> wrote:

      > I would venture that many 'Houston'-REG members may have come from
      > Houston energy, oil, gas, or chemical industries. Many probably
      worked
      > either directly around energy technologies, or formed knowledgable
      > realistic energy opinions just by being here. With all these
      experts we
      > can have some fun and informative debates.
      >

      > But it's a gamble If you are trying to predict the future. Will
      Spark
      > run out of juice in 2010? Or will someone turn my home's 50 lbs of
      > weekly solid waste stew into a 20 gallons of butanol in 2012?
      Maybe we
      > should check with a gambling expert. How do Las Vegas odds maker
      lists
      > whether fossil fuels will dramatically rise in the next two decade,
      or
      > not?
      >

      > I think they might note that the huge life style changing
      populations of
      > China, India, and emerging North Africa may want food, clean water,
      > lighting, heating, cooling, and transportation, just like we do. And
      > then energy will just flow to the highest bidder. I'm betting those
      > bookies would set their odds based on these clear and unarguable
      facts.
      > So...the wheel is spinning,...time to place your bets!

    • Warren Benson
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 22, 2008

        I was curious, with regard to your discussion of Solar system costs, if there were more variables to be considered  such as using cheaper thin film type panels.  I guess, for one, that these aren’t actually available for residential construction yet as I can’t find them on line anywhere. But I assume they soon will be. I think First Solar just signed an agreement to make theirs available (in California ?).

        Anyway, when they do become available, won’t they dramatically reduce the cost? I realize also that they’ll take up more space since they are less efficient per square foot, but fortunately almost all of my roof is facing south so there’s plenty of room.

        I’m glad to see that solar is already on par with other forms of energy when played out over the life of the panels.  I’m looking forward to the time I can jump in and ‘make a difference’, but in my situation, I still need a little more of a price break.

        Thanks in advance,

        Warren Benson