TIME's Best Inventions of 2008

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2008
      Being the computer geek that I am.... I have several RSS feeds that
      attempt to keep me up on the important news around the world. Well I
      saw a link for Time.com's 50 Top Inventions of 2008. Here is the link:
      http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,1852747,00.html

      But the one that kind of jumped out is #25 Thin-Film Solar Panels.
      http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1852747_1854195_1854153,00.html

      The company is called Nanosolar (http://www.nanosolar.com) and they
      have very little hard data on their website. Which they say is to
      "extend the period of protection for certain proprietary features we
      have developed." The most they have is a Advantage
      page(http://www.nanosolar.com/economic.htm) where they say the energy
      payback is less then a month. Compared to the 3 years of a Wafer Cell.

      Of course they currently have over a year back up on their orders and
      are trying to scale up their production to meet the need.

      So... Does anyone have any experience with their products. Should this
      be one of the Top 50 Inventions? Or is it just like the other thin
      film products?