RE: [hreg] Grid-Tie with Battery Back-Up

  • Gary Beck
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008

      This is an interesting discussion with lots of great comments and useful information. Here are more food-for-thought comments.

      Current events and trends are making people finally start thinking more about self-sufficiency. The market will react and follow this trend.  Forward-thinking home designer/builders in grid loss areas will start to include standard Solar PV systems plus natural gas standby generators as ‘standard appliances’ for new homes. The ones that push the envelope will even offer other self-sufficiency options such as rooftop hydroponic vegetable gardens above the garage. The garage will likely become a home’s utility/mechanical center for residential energy, recycling, and self-sufficiency efforts.  Designers and builders that don’t follow such trends may lose standing due to a perceived lack of innovation.

      #1 very few solar systems are sized for a households daily needs (even without including AC)

      Therefore a battery backup system is also unlikely to provide the needs of the household.

      Furthermore there is a time factor...yes for a blip or even an hour, the system will be fine, but then again my food won't go bad in just an hour either.

      Lets say you have the worst case scenario like the hurricane.  Even if you are without power for (only) 3 days, a solar power backup system is unlikely to sustain that kind of downtime.  You have no charging at night, and during the day, your collected energy is re-charging the battery system...and you won't have spare power for actually running your house.

      On the flip side, your natural gas generator is going to last a lot longer for those folks who have a natural gas line running to their house.  It will run day and night in this scenario, and provide a ton of power.

      I just think for the money, you are better off getting the gas generator, if you need that, or buying a bigger solar system for the 360+ days you are going to be grid tied.

      If my power goes down, I will just rough it.  I can replace the contents of my fridge about 50 times before it would equal the investment of a generator or backup.