Talk about climate solutions Sunday 1:15pm

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2008
      "Fourth generation nuclear power plants and other solution to our
      energy and climate challenges", a talk by Ron Hayden, will be Sunday,
      November 2, at 1:15 pm at First Unitarian Universalist Church at 5200
      Fannin, in the Museum District. www.firstuu.org Ron will report on
      "Prescription for the Planet", a new book by Tom Blees
      www.prescriptionfortheplanet.com Three technological solutions, could
      allow us to cut our greenhouse gas emissions by 90% within 50 years,
      says Blees: fourth generation nuclear plants, converting waste to
      useful products, and boron for transportation fuel.

      4th Generation Nuclear Power Plants, called Integral Fast Reactors
      (IFRs), would be cheap to build, says Blees. Construction costs per
      kilowatt are as cheap as pulverized coal plants. What's more, their
      fuel, nuclear waste from old-styler power plants, is better than
      free. They detoxify nearly all the waste. IFR nuclear plants are
      safe. We could shut down all the fossil fuel power plants and still
      have all the safe clean power we need; with no greenhouse gas emissions

      Blees also says boron could replace fossils fuels for
      transportation. Blees describes the use of Plasma Conversion Plants
      to recycle garbage and sewage sludge into fuel etc. Blees suggests
      that the oil companies could go into the garbage business as their
      fossil fuel business declines. The first Plasma Conversion Plants
      are already in the planning stages in San Francisco and Florida.

      These technologies have the ability to reduce carbon dioxide
      emissions by 90% within 50 years.

      Mr. Hayden's talk will be held at the regular monthly meeting of
      Houston Climate Protection Alliance. www.HoustonClimateProtection.org

      For more information, contact Ron Hayden at 832-524-6855 or
      rhayden7@... Or contact Tim Mock at Tim_Mock@... or
      713-662-2879

      You can hear Blees talk about this on KPFT November 24 at noon.

      Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

      Action is the antidote to despair....
      Joan Baez