Climate

  • William
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2008
      http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2008/10/20-9
      http://www.energybulletin.net/node/46934

      Any feelings on the above posts?

      We live in interesting times.
      Bill
    • Ariel Thomann
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2010
        Y'all
        My original stomping grounds, Buenos Aires, is at about the same latitude as Houston (south vs north) and climate  there (temperature ranges and humidity) is VERY similar to what we have in Houston.
        Lest you think that the cold weather snap in the American Northeast "means" that global warming (better called "human-aggravated global climate disruption") is not true, I suggest you check the following:
        http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/55052/%E2%80%98red-alert%E2%80%99-continues-as-city-heat-keeps-rising-highs-of-36%C2%B0-degrees
        I'll save you doing the math: 36 degrees C(ivilized) is 97 degrees F....  And summer is just getting started there.
        Peace
        Ariel

      • kevin conlin
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 28, 2010

          Ariel, I was shocked to learn recently that because of disappearing glaciers, an estimated 100,000,000 people in South America may be forced to relocate in the next 20 years due to vanishing water supplies.

          There is no denying climate change is real, and it’s here.

          Heliosolar Design, Inc.

          Kevin Conlin

          PH: 281-202-9629

          kevin@...

          My original stomping grounds, Buenos Aires, is at about the same latitude as Houston (south vs north) and climate  there (temperature ranges and humidity) is VERY similar to what we have in Houston.
          Lest you think that the cold weather snap in the American Northeast "means" that global warming (better called "human-aggravated global climate disruption") is not true, I suggest you check the following:
          http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/55052/%E2%80%98red-alert%E2%80%99-continues-as-city-heat-keeps-rising-highs-of-36%C2%B0-degrees
          I'll save you doing the math: 36 degrees C(ivilized) is 97 degrees F....  And summer is just getting started there.
          Peace
          Ariel

        • William & Cynthia Stange
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2010
            Dr. Paul Epstein's interview yesterday on Democracy now. Just finished reading a paper from Wood's Hole Oceanographic Institute that supports the same information. We are in serious s#$T!! The oceans have absorbed 22 times their normal heat energy, corresponds with more "events" here and there. More extreme drought in some areas and extreme weather events as a norm. Subterranean home building, with snorkels??
            Happy New Years All!!!!! Change is in the air!
            Great post!
            Bill Stange

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
              Kevin wrote:
              "...because of disappearing glaciers, an estimated 100,000,000 people in South America may be forced to relocate in the next 20 years due to vanishing water supplies."
              I may be wrong, but I think that's probably a world-wide figure, rather than just South America.  The entire population of South America is, methinks, under 250 million, and I guess only 5-10 percent depend on glacier melt.
              Peace - and Happy New Year, everyone!
              Ariel

              - We are all Human beings here together.  We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
              - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic policy regarding non-renewable resources, starting with water.
              - "Health" insurance companies are the American death panels; their business is to collect premiums and deny benefits. Their CEO's, and lesser bureaucrats, should not be part of any civilized health care system.

            • kevin conlin
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011

                Hi Ariel, I’ve been trying to remember where I read that, but I just can’t recall…..a quick look came up with this…..

                The population of SA in 2005 was 385M, probably around 400M now and close to 500M by 2030.

                Large swaths of the Amazon basin are seeing less rainfall due to El Nino and deforestation. The Amazon River was recently at record lows, and tributaries are heavily polluted with agricultural runoff and destructive mining practices. Fish stocks in the rivers are declining in many areas.  Yet other parts of the Amazon basin experienced intense rainfall and widespread flooding.

                Warming rate  in the tropical Andes has tripled in the past 25 years, and Peru has seen its glacial retreat 7 fold between 1978 and 1995. Of 6 glaciers in Venezuela in 1972, only 2 remain, and are expected to also be gone in 10 years.

                Rapid glacial retreat is also being seen in Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.  Patagonia is also seeing shrinking glaciers.

                Climate change has brought widespread flooding in some areas, and 30,000 people died from flooding and landslides in Caracas alone. Prolonged drought has increased wildfires, with 3.7M acres lost to a single conflagration in Argentina, yet Buenos Aires received 5X it’s record rainfall in one month.

                If these patterns persist for another 20 years, I don’t think it’s a stretch that 20% of the population would be affected.  If I remember correctly, Quito was expected to be one of the first major cities to face a water crisis.

                Sorry I can’t provide more detail, but we’re getting a little off topic anyway….

                Best Regards,  Kevin

                Heliosolar Design, Inc.

                Kevin Conlin

                PH: 281-202-9629