Is there no training in Houston?

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2008
      I did a quick search on the group and in google for local PV training.
      But honestly haven't found anything.

      I know there is training in the Austin area or online (if you don't
      mind booking 6-8 months out) but isn't there a local company that does
      regular training? If not, why not?

      What about an electrical course that covers inverters?

      I'm just looking for options. I really am interested in installing
      something on my house to provide the backup power that I didn't have
      after Ike. But I really want to understand it and participate in the
      install process. I don't want to just write a check to a company to do
      the install for me. I like to understand and feel knowledgeable about
      where I spend my money.

      I do plan to participate in the upcoming Solar Tour. I'm excited about
      that. I live in the Spring area but honestly have yet to see any solar
      panels in my neighborhood.
    • Chris Boyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2008
        Marc,

        There is a shortage of solar training in Houston, and those needs are being addressed.  Houston Community College is putting together solar classes for installers similar to the ones in Austin.  They are working with the City of Houston under the DOE Solar Cities program.  The plan was to start an evening class this spring, but I haven't heard that it is scheduled yet.

        Chris
      • noyes livingston
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2008
          Is there a contact for the proposed solar installation course offered by HCC?
          Thanks.
          Livingston

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2008
            Almost sounds like a need looking to be filled. I've also looked for classes on similar things, and found very little locally.
            It would be awesome if somebody were to open some kind of "alternative energy training institute" here with classes in a variety of relevant topics.
            Maybe even some certifications as well.
            Anybody feel motivated to do that?

            Steve