RE: [hreg] rent a solar system?

  • Bashir Syed
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2008

      Many NGO’s providing Solar PV systems in developing countries, where local people cannot afford the cost of installing such a system are utilizing US-Aid money or UNDP Funds  as Rental Charges for Financing a Solar-Home System to meet their essential needs (lights, fans and Radio/TV). Their names have been mentioned in “Solar Today” Magazine (a publication of American Solar Energy Society) and activities described.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008

        If someone can show me how to make those numbers work, I’d sure like to see it.  Without any state or utility incentives, I don’t see how that type of business model could work in this part of TX.

        I have been extremely skeptical of this company since they started their pompous chest thumping.

        Buyer beware…………

        Kevin Conlin

        Solarcraft, Inc.

        4007-C Greenbriar Drive

        Stafford, TX 77477

        Local (281) 340-1224

        Toll Free (877) 340-1224

        Fax (281) 340-1230

        Cell (281) 960-8979

        kconlin@...

        www.solarcraft.net

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
          I also talked to this company about 1 year ago at the Dallas state fair.  The person I talked to then said that they should start installing in Texas in about 1 year (that didn't happen it woudl appear) and at the time there was a 2 year waiting list.  For only $500 you could get on the waiting list then whenever they got around to installing your system you would pay the rest of the fees and then continue to pay your same electricity rate except to them instead of another power company.  I decided not to get involved with them because it didn't seem right to pay just to get in line eventually just to pay them more.  Many banks offer preferred financing loans to purchase home energy systems I think in this case a loan would be better than just paying them indefinately (if they ever even get around to installing your system).

          Phillip

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008

            All,

            For an interesting article and ongoing (although waning) opinion thread, see here:

            http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/reinsider/story?id=47419&cid=0&ei=xaPRRbCALpKOowKMofhD

            -Andrew

            Andrew H. Mc Calla

            CEO