Re: [hreg] rent a solar system?

  • Stephanie Edwards-Musa
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2008
      There is no new news that I have heard.  Still the same that they were saying over a year ago...which was 'we should be installing in Texas in about a year'.  That has come and gone.

      I was excited at first, now disappointed and extremely leary.

      On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Robert Johnston <junk1@...> wrote:

      This company was kicked around here in Nov. 2006, if you can access archives.  At the time, they were supposed to be rolling out this big nationwide program, including their own plant to produce solar panels.  They'd install and you'd rent.  As I recall, it was a MLM sales organization, which always makes me suspicious.  I think people paid some money to hold a place in line—another red flag for me.  I just checked their website, and there is no company news posted for all of 2008.  I see nothing about their plant starting up.  I'd be very careful about committing any money to this company.  I'm skeptical.  I may be wrong, but these are just my impression from the limited information on their website.  I'll bet you could google them and find more.

      Robert Johnston

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2008

        Many NGO’s providing Solar PV systems in developing countries, where local people cannot afford the cost of installing such a system are utilizing US-Aid money or UNDP Funds  as Rental Charges for Financing a Solar-Home System to meet their essential needs (lights, fans and Radio/TV). Their names have been mentioned in “Solar Today” Magazine (a publication of American Solar Energy Society) and activities described.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008

          If someone can show me how to make those numbers work, I’d sure like to see it.  Without any state or utility incentives, I don’t see how that type of business model could work in this part of TX.

          I have been extremely skeptical of this company since they started their pompous chest thumping.

          Buyer beware…………

          Kevin Conlin

          Solarcraft, Inc.

          4007-C Greenbriar Drive

          Stafford, TX 77477

          Local (281) 340-1224

          Toll Free (877) 340-1224

          Fax (281) 340-1230

          Cell (281) 960-8979

          kconlin@...

          www.solarcraft.net

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
            I also talked to this company about 1 year ago at the Dallas state fair.  The person I talked to then said that they should start installing in Texas in about 1 year (that didn't happen it woudl appear) and at the time there was a 2 year waiting list.  For only $500 you could get on the waiting list then whenever they got around to installing your system you would pay the rest of the fees and then continue to pay your same electricity rate except to them instead of another power company.  I decided not to get involved with them because it didn't seem right to pay just to get in line eventually just to pay them more.  Many banks offer preferred financing loans to purchase home energy systems I think in this case a loan would be better than just paying them indefinately (if they ever even get around to installing your system).

            Phillip

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008

              All,

              For an interesting article and ongoing (although waning) opinion thread, see here:

              http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/reinsider/story?id=47419&cid=0&ei=xaPRRbCALpKOowKMofhD

              -Andrew

              Andrew H. Mc Calla

              CEO