Conf Call Thurs noon - Food, Peak Oil & Climate

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2008
      In the US, producing the average calorie of food consumes about ten
      calories of energy and is transported about 1,500
      miles.
      http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/archives2008/heinbergfiftymillion.html
      Bad for the climate. Food prices went up 40% in the last year
      according to the USDA. And the paradigm is shifting to local
      food. Our guest, Dr. Bob Randall, is helping it shift. He will
      talk about the possibility of a food crisis in Houston's future due
      to rising energy prices, climate disruption and other expected
      economic troubles. Dr. Bob is organizing a conference on this
      http://www.houstonfood.net on Thursday, September 4. Bob's
      conference partners include Houston-Galveston Area Council (our 13
      county regional government) and other Houston
      institutions. Congressman Nick Lampson will give the keynote talk.

      The good news is there is a growing movement, even in Houston, to
      grow local food. This is good for the climate. Yes, it's a big job
      to change our food paradigm but we have powerful economic forces
      acting as agents of change. Will you be ahead of the shift or behind it?

      Dr. Bob is founder of Urban Harvest, one of the largest backyard food
      gardening clubs in the nation, www.urbanHarvest.org He's been
      concerned about this situation for decades. He says that when the
      levees failed in New Orleans, the levee experts were not surprised.

      Dr. Bob can answer these questions:
      What can I do improve my family's food security?
      How can citizens help urge government to lead us toward sustainable
      food (and a smaller carbon footprint)?
      How can this issue be brought up in the Texas Legislature?

      In the conference call, we'll also have reports on local climate
      action and issues.

      To join the call at NOON, Thursday, August 14th, dial 1-605-475-6111
      and then enter our pass code for public calls, 7138426643#. Your
      standard long distance charges will apply.

      Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

      Action is the antidote to despair....
      Joan Baez
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2008

        For another point of view, see below:

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2008
          I am to the point where I hardly buy anything other than at the health food corner store. I live in Spring where much to my surprise... has one that carries a local food supply on saturdays (some are even already prepared which makes it really nice since I don't want to cook on the weekends) with a really good variety of seasonal items. I believe that people get discouraged because they either don't know a place close by to purchase the items. The other day while shopping I saw a book called the better world Shopping Guide. I think that this book will further improve the way I consume by providing the information I need to research a company or product. It is loaded with information and provides a easy to understand rating of brands sold in your local stores in a neighborhood near you. The book is really small but incredibly useful.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2008
            Thanks Evelyn. Fresh foods at a number of Houston farmers' markets.
            http://www.my-table.com/section/news/20.html

            Attached are minutes from the conference call on energy, food and climate.