Re: the Myth of Green mass transit?

  • Ariel T.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2008
      - I grew up long ago and far away in a galaxy where only rich people had cars, and I learned to navigate public transportation as a matter of fact.
      - Some years ago I lived in Friendswood and worked in downtown Houston -- some 28-32 miles, depending on route driven.  In those days the real cost of operating an automobile was already over 50 cents/ mile.  Add parking (even at monthly rates, and about 2-3 blocks from work) and it all came to at least $ 35-40 / day.
      - I started using Metro (suburban route # 246), with a 7.5 mile drive from home to the park-and-ride at the Gulf Fwy. and Bay Area Blvd.  It dropped me off 3 blocks from work (2 blocks for the return trip).  I forget how much I paid for the monthly bus passes, but I came out waaaay ahead.  And I loved looking down at the 3-lane creeping parking lot from my high perch on the bus in the HOV lane, with somebody else doing the driving so I could read or doze off.  And, no stinky homeless persons that I recall.  Total travel time was about the same as if I'd been driving.
      - Then one day I became eligible for the $ 52/ year senior card.  That's $ 1.00/ week for a 5-day work-week -- 20 cents a day, 10 cents per ride.  I called it my "dime-ride geezer card", and I recall figuring that I was saving something like $ 25 a day.  I could always choose to drive if I knew I would need more mobility in town that day (no choo-choo yet); I would plan my day accordingly.
      - I no longer live in Friendswood or work downtown, but now with my "free" senior-senior card I'd save the dime too.  If I still lived and worked where I did then, I'd be saving about $ 40-50 a day, I guess.
      Ariel
      - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
      - All countries need NO REGRETS strategic policies regarding every non-renewable resource, including water.