[hreg] Solar Home Tour

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 1999
      Hi,
      The solar home tour was one of the topics discussed at the last business meeting.  There were people for setting up a Houston tour, but several members had never seen one.  The idea was put forth that perhaps the HREG should charter a bus or several vans and go as a group this year to the tour in Austin to see how it was done.  Considering that this project need to be done by Oct. 16, I think our group  visiting Austin makes more sense than trying to set up our own tour in mere 10.5 weeks.  Comments?

      Kim Travis

    • Kathryn Houser
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 1999
        Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

        > Hi,
        > The solar home tour was one of the topics discussed at the last
        > business meeting. There were people for setting up a Houston tour,
        > but several members had never seen one. The idea was put forth that
        > perhaps the HREG should charter a bus or several vans and go as a
        > group this year to the tour in Austin to see how it was done.
        > Considering that this project need to be done by Oct. 16, I think our
        > group visiting Austin makes more sense than trying to set up our own
        > tour in mere 10.5 weeks. Comments?
        >
        > Kim Travis
        > [click here]
        > Click Here!
        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg

        Your group coming to Austin to see the tour is a great idea and has an
        added benefit for those who could stay overnight: we plan to have the
        annual membership meeting for TXSES the following Sunday. This is
        generally a fun gathering, barbeque kind of thing, with some future
        planning thrown in the mix. It would be especially great if some HREG
        members could stay over to participate and represent your interests and
        needs.
        As far as seeing what goes into the planning of a full-blown tour, you
        won't get the whole picture by going on the tour. By that point, it is
        a well oiled machine that appears to run on its own. However, for the
        scale of the Central Texas tour, it takes a full time staff person two
        months of work. I do not suggest you go into your first tour with this
        as your expectation. It is something to strive for over the years, as
        we have grown with the TXSES tour. Last year, I got a SECO grant for
        $8,000 to support it. This year, I have a U.S. DOE grant to support
        it. Very different kind of approach from what you all will be doing as
        a volunteer group. Our first year was a very thrown together, last
        minute effort, that had great results from simply faxing out a map of 6
        locations to anyone who called from an article in the local newspaper
        covering one of the houses. That kind of coverage is the key to getting
        the public's eye. After finding sites for the tour, find who knows
        someone in the media business that can get you in the door for coverage
        before the event. Bingo! You have a tour.
        Kathryn Houser, Director
        TXSES
      • d j
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 1999
          I will sign off this trip. How is group Bus run from Houston?