The value of solar energy, was: Petrolistan and solar energy

  • Jim & Janet
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2008
      Evelyn asked:
      Does the rate of recession (inflation as the price of oil continue to rise) affect the price of solar
      *************************
      The price of oil worldwide is pegged to the US$. (Countries that attempt to sell their domestic produced crude based on other monatery values find their prices significantly lower, not to mention being in the crosshairs of the US pentagon/oil cartel. Ex. Argentina and Iran both partially ignore the dollar.
      Raw silicon, and products derived from silicon (PV and thousands of assorted semiconductor products) are manufactured around the world and, so far at least, allowed to buy/sell in foreign currencies. This makes them more or less competitive based mainly on production, labor, transportation costs etc.
      BTW It is not that your income is reduced by an amount, it is upward inflationary pressure that drives the cost of the product up X% while the recession keeps your income from rising at the rate of inflation. That is unless you happen to be fortunate enough to be in a strong trade union that demands workers wages mirror inflation. (And you thought those car makers were just greedy)
      ....figure out if this is a good time to buy solar or not?

      You should also consider the cost of utility power, per kilowatt hour, to determine whether PV is a good investment.
      I have a calculator on my www site that demonstrates the process of finding the cost per kilowatt hour of PV power.
      If you will contact me off-list, I will send you a short instructional email about using the calculator, several people have said it was confusing to understand.
      Jim Duncan
      North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
      817.917.057
      www.ntrei.com