Discovery at Spring Trails first solar subdivision close to Woodlands

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
      I did the tour today. No model homes yet but plenty of enthusiasm..... The solar panels will be provided by General Electric. All 900 homes will have a standard 1 killowat and more can be added up to 3 killowatts total. They did say if you plan to add you need to get an inverter for larger capacity. I was curious to see how many trees they would eliminate and much to my surprise they are going to leave a lot of them in. They will place the solar panels on the roof top and on the trellises. If the systems are in different areas they will require two inverters but it can be done; say you wantted to charge your car and needed the extra energy.  They are going to recycle all of the homes water and use in the water needs of the subdivision including the pool irrigation and recreational areas.  Homes start at 170,000 dollars. One thing I could not understand is that of all the things they are doing but still  they are showing ( they have insulation and all that...) the ducts in the attic. The one thing that seems to be most important in building green these days. They had the radiant barrier you can see everything through glass.If you are curious about the subdivision you might want to check it out this weekend. They are open noon to 6pm.

    • Stephanie Edwards-Musa
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
        Hi Evelyn,

        I'm in Discovery usually about once a week and the vision for the community is quite amazing.  They will also have a solar farm that will power the common areas and are thinking about a natural garden type area for the schools close by to be able to use for education.

        There will be close to 3,000 homes by the time it is done.  (5-6 year project)

        They are not totally in to making the homes green to try and keep the cost down for now (you mentioned the insulation, etc.) but as people continue to inquire about it the builders are talking about have other options available.  One of the builders is talking about offering Solar Hot Water as a standard feature..The community is focusing on the high performance side of it.

        It's coming along really well, I've followed it for over a year now.  Before they even started infrastructure.  Similar to this is Lakes of Williams Ranch in Sugarland (I believe the homes have 2kw there) but at a considerably higher price range, but same developer and set up.  They are also talking about making Lago Mar the same thing down south which is proposed to be between 8,000-9,000 homes.  We'll see how that goes.

        As the pricing comes out for Discovery, it looks like the prices are more like $190 but still a great start.  The vision is like none I have seen, ever.  It's very refreshing.

        Stephanie Edwards-Musa
        Realtor, Certified EcoBroker
        Prudential Gary Greene, Realtors
        www.TurningHoustonGreen.com
        Steph@...

        --

      • H.C. Clark
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
          This morning's KPFT[90.1] Eco-ology Show had the Mayor's Sustainability
          Director, Chris Eugster, as the guest. He spoke enthusiastically about
          HREG, its interests, AND the upcoming HREG solar tour, "co-sponsored by
          the City"! It was a wonderful plug for the group. The discussion was a
          great list of city projects and efforts to institutionalize the
          initiatives for the future. If you missed it, check the KPFT archives
          [piece should be up soon], or contact the hosts: Pat Greer or Cath Conlon.

          Stephanie Edwards-Musa wrote:

> [...]
          > they are going to leave a lot of them in. They will place the
          > solar panels on the roof top and on the trellises. If the systems
          > are in different areas they will require two inverters but it can
          > be done; say you wantted to charge your car and needed the extra
          > energy. They are going to recycle all of the homes water and use
          > in the water needs of the subdivision including the
          > pool irrigation and recreational areas. Homes start at 170,000
          > dollars. One thing I could not understand is that of all the
          > things they are doing but still they are showing ( they have
          > insulation and all that...) the ducts in the attic. The one thing
          > that seems to be most important in building green these days. They
          > had the radiant barrier you can see everything through glass.If
          > you are curious about the subdivision you might want to check it
          > out this weekend. They are open noon to 6pm.

        • Kathleen Carrier
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008

            Wonderful!

            Yes, we have been working with Cris on the tour.  If anyone is interested in helping out please contact me, Mike or Chris Boyer.  We are in the midst of planning, looking for projects, etc.

            Volunteer Skill sets we need for this year are – PR, and getting the word out.  Graphics, the past two years my friend Christie has done the graphics at no charge, we’d like to enlist someone else this year if possible.  Volunteers for the picnic.

            If anyone has any personal contacts at whole foods or central market – we need help getting box meals for the picnic – which will be at discovery green park.  Please let me know – we will be working on that this week

            Or if you have any other ideas about helping out – just let me know.

            I truly believe that the Solar Tour is possibly the best way to raise awareness for all of Houston – we’d love to have the involvement of as many HREG members as possible.

            Thanks!  Kathleen

            href="http://www.TurningHoustonGreen.com">http://www.TurningH oustonGreen. com>

            <mailto:evelynsardina@ yahoo.com>> wrote:

            > I did the tour today. No model homes yet but plenty of
            > enthusiasm.. ... The solar panels will be provided by General
            > Electric. All 900 homes will have a standard 1 killowat and more
            > can be added up to 3 killowatts total. They did say if you plan to
            > add you need to get an inverter for larger capacity. I was curious
            > to see how many trees they would eliminate and much to my surprise
            > they are going to leave a lot of them in. They will place the
            > solar panels on the roof top and on the trellises. If the systems
            > are in different areas they will require two inverters but it can
            > be done; say you wantted to charge your car and needed the extra
            > energy. They are going to recycle all of the homes water and use
            > in the water needs of the subdivision including the
            > pool irrigation and recreational areas. Homes start at 170,000
            > dollars. One thing I could not understand is that of all the
            > things they are doing but still they are showing ( they have
            > insulation and all that...) the ducts in the attic. The one thing
            > that seems to be most important in building green these days. They
            > had the radiant barrier you can see everything through glass.If
            > you are curious about the subdivision you might want to check it
            > out this weekend. They are open noon to 6pm.
            >

            > --

          • Kevin Conlin
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 3, 2008

              Can anyone tell me if the solar tour is tomorrow or has been postponed?

              Thanks,  Kevin

              Kevin Conlin

              Solarcraft, Inc.

              4007-C Greenbriar Drive

              Stafford, TX 77477

              Local (281) 340-1224

              Toll Free (877) 340-1224

              Fax (281) 340-1230

              Cell (281) 960-8979

              kconlin@...

              www.solarcraft.net

            • Andrew McCalla
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 3, 2008

                Kevin,

                It is my understanding that it has been postponed until the 25th.

                Andrew H. Mc Calla

                CEO

                Meridian Energy Systems, Inc. (TECL: 24461)

                4109 Todd Lane, Ste. 900

                Austin, Texas 78744

                Tel: (512) 448-0055

                Fax: (512) 448-0045

                Direct: (512) 410-3872

                andrew@...

                www.meridiansolar.com

                Can anyone tell me if the solar tour is tomorrow or has been postponed?

                Thanks,  Kevin

                Kevin Conlin

                Solarcraft, Inc.

                4007-C Greenbriar Drive

                Stafford , TX 77477

                Local (281) 340-1224

                Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                Fax (281) 340-1230

                Cell (281) 960-8979

                kconlin@solarcraft. net

                www.solarcraft. net

              • Kevin Conlin
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 3, 2008

                  Thanks Andrew, once again, your memory is better than mine!

                  Kevin Conlin

                  Solarcraft, Inc.

                  4007-C Greenbriar Drive

                  Stafford, TX 77477

                  Local (281) 340-1224

                  Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                  Fax (281) 340-1230

                  Cell (281) 960-8979

                  kconlin@...

                  www.solarcraft.net

                  andrew@meridiansola r.com

                  www.meridiansolar. com

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                    Two weeks ago I called and/or e mailed every tour participant advising
                    of the new date. To confirm, the solar tour is Saturday, Oct 25, 10am
                    - 4pm. Please check the website for additional information at
                    houstonsolartour.com.
                  • JOHN GARDNER
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 16, 2008
                      Teri,
                      When is the website going live? TXSES is promoting the tour and want to send folks to the site.
                      Thanks,
                      John

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 16, 2008
                        The Solar Tour website is scheduled to be up and operational early
                        next week.
                        The address is www.houstonsolartour.com
                      • Michael Ewert
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 19, 2008

                          The website is not fully interactive yet, BUT you CAN download the tour guide now!  If you can make it to any one of the sites that is open you will be able to pick up a printed copy of that guide and use it to find other sites you would like to visit.  Be sure to come on out Saturday!  And bring your friends and neighbors!

                          Thanks for spreading the word,

                          Mike

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 19, 2008
                            Sorry if this has already been asked....

                            But is this a guided tour where EVERYONE starts at the first location at a set time?

                            Or a DIY tour? I noticed all of the locations have a specific time frame to view. But there doesn't seem to a number order to the viewing. Can I go to the specific locations that are close to me or that I have an interest in, during the viewing times?

                            Thank you in advance. I have really been looking forward to this tour!

                            Marc Morgan

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 19, 2008

                              You can go to any locations that you like – within the time frame for the sites. Outlying locations are from 10-2pm.  Locations inside or near 610 are from 12-4pm.  The tour ends with the Discovery Green event from 4pm to 6pm.  See the projects in any order that you like.  We did, however, try to arrange the projects in a logical order in the tour guide.

                              The format is open, and the tour is free.  With over 20 different projects to see, you may want to read the tour guide, and pick the sites that are most interesting to you, and closest to you.

                              Enjoy – and please send us your feed back for next year’s tour!

                              Kathleen Reardon

                              Solar Tour Coordinator

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 20, 2008
                                I went last year and I had a blast. You better believe I am going again!

                                I just wanted to say "Thank you" in advance for all the work you guys
                                did putting this together - you guys are awesome!

                                - Jay

                                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Carrier" <kathleen@...> wrote:

                                > You can go to any locations that you like - within the time frame
                                for the
                                > sites. Outlying locations are from 10-2pm. Locations inside or near
                                610 are
                                > from 12-4pm. The tour ends with the Discovery Green event from 4pm
                                to 6pm.
                                > See the projects in any order that you like. We did, however, try to
                                > arrange the projects in a logical order in the tour guide.
                                >

                                > The format is open, and the tour is free. With over 20 different
                                projects
                                > to see, you may want to read the tour guide, and pick the sites that are
                                > most interesting to you, and closest to you.
                                >

                                > Enjoy - and please send us your feed back for next year's tour!
                                >

                                > Kathleen Reardon
                                >
                                > Solar Tour Coordinator
                                >

                                > _____

                                Of Marc
                                > Morgan
                                > Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:17 PM
                                > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: Re: [hreg] Re: Solar Tour
                                >

                                > Sorry if this has already been asked....
                                >
                                > But is this a guided tour where EVERYONE starts at the first
                                location at a
                                > set time?
                                >
                                > Or a DIY tour? I noticed all of the locations have a specific time
                                frame to
                                > view. But there doesn't seem to a number order to the viewing. Can I
                                go to
                                > the specific locations that are close to me or that I have an
                                interest in,
                                > during the viewing times?
                                >
                                > Thank you in advance. I have really been looking forward to this tour!
                                >
                                > Marc Morgan
                                >

                                > On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Michael Ewert <mkewert@comcast.
                                > <mailto:mkewert@...> net> wrote:
                                >
                                > The website is not fully interactive yet, BUT you CAN download the tour
                                > guide now! If you can make it to any one of the sites that is open
                                you will
                                > be able to pick up a printed copy of that guide and use it to find other
                                > sites you would like to visit. Be sure to come on out Saturday!
                                And bring
                                > your friends and neighbors!
                                >
                                > Thanks for spreading the word,
                                >
                                > Mike
                                >

                                > _____
                                >
                                > From: hreg@yahoogroups. <mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com> com
                                Behalf Of

                                <http://www.houstonsolartour.com/> r.com

                                > --
                                > Marc Morgan

                              • Jeanette
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 20, 2008

                                  Ditto!  Thank you for putting this event together.  My husband and I will be touring this weekend for the first time and hope to come out with some good tips to get us started on our solar adventure…

                                  Jeanette

                                  I went last year and I had a blast. You better believe I am going again!

                                  I just wanted to say "Thank you" in advance for all the work you guys
                                  did putting this together - you guys are awesome!

                                  - Jay

                                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Kathleen Carrier" <kathleen@.. .> wrote:

                                  > You can go to any locations that you like - within the time frame
                                  for the
                                  > sites. Outlying locations are from 10-2pm. Locations inside or near
                                  610 are
                                  > from 12-4pm. The tour ends with the Discovery Green event from 4pm
                                  to 6pm.
                                  > See the projects in any order that you like. We did, however, try to
                                  > arrange the projects in a logical order in the tour guide.
                                  >

                                  > The format is open, and the tour is free. With over 20 different
                                  projects
                                  > to see, you may want to read the tour guide, and pick the sites that are
                                  > most interesting to you, and closest to you.
                                  >

                                  > Enjoy - and please send us your feed back for next year's tour!
                                  >

                                  > Kathleen Reardon
                                  >
                                  > Solar Tour Coordinator
                                  >

                                  > _____
                                  >
                                  > From: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                                  > Sorry if this has already been asked....
                                  >
                                  > But is this a guided tour where EVERYONE starts at the first
                                  location at a
                                  > set time?
                                  >
                                  > Or a DIY tour? I noticed all of the locations have a specific time
                                  frame to
                                  > view. But there doesn't seem to a number order to the viewing. Can I
                                  go to
                                  > the specific locations that are close to me or that I have an
                                  interest in,
                                  > during the viewing times?
                                  >
                                  > Thank you in advance. I have really been looking forward to this tour!
                                  >
                                  > Marc Morgan
                                  >

                                  > On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Michael Ewert <mkewert@comcast.
                                  > <mailto:mkewert@ ...> net> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > The website is not fully interactive yet, BUT you CAN download the tour
                                  > guide now! If you can make it to any one of the sites that is open
                                  you will
                                  > be able to pick up a printed copy of that guide and use it to find other
                                  > sites you would like to visit. Be sure to come on out Saturday!
                                  And bring
                                  > your friends and neighbors!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for spreading the word,
                                  >
                                  > Mike
                                  >

                                  > _____
                                  >
                                  > From: hreg@yahoogroups. <mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                                  com
                                  > [mailto:hreg@ yahoogroups. <mailto:
                                  href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com> com] On
                                  Behalf Of
                                  > Teri Mercatante
                                  > Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:56 PM
                                  > To: hreg@yahoogroups. <mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                                  com
                                  > Subject: [hreg] Re: Solar Tour
                                  >

                                  > The Solar Tour website is scheduled to be up and operational early
                                  > next week.
                                  > The address is www.houstonsolartou
                                  <http://www.houstons olartour. com/> r.com

                                  > --
                                  > Marc Morgan

                                • Kathleen Carrier
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 20, 2008

                                    If one or two people could take photos of the tour and Discovery Green event, along with a few notes to go with the photos, that would be great.

                                    We can try to put them on the Solar Tour Web site (which is active now!) for everyone to see.

                                    Thanks so much,

                                    Kathleen

> [...]

                                    you will
                                    > be able to pick up a printed copy of that guide and use it to find other
                                    > sites you would like to visit. Be sure to come on out Saturday!
                                    And bring
                                    > your friends and neighbors!
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for spreading the word,
                                    >
                                    > Mike
                                    >

                                    > _____
                                    >
                                    > From: hreg@yahoogroups. <mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                                    com
                                    > [mailto:hreg@ yahoogroups. <mailto:
                                    href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com> com] On
                                    Behalf Of
                                    > Teri Mercatante
                                    > Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:56 PM
                                    > To: hreg@yahoogroups. <mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                                    com
                                    > Subject: [hreg] Re: Solar Tour
                                    >

                                    > The Solar Tour website is scheduled to be up and operational early

                                  • Jeanette
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 20, 2008

                                      Are you wanting these before or right after the tour?

                                      Jeanette

> [...]

                                      you will
                                      > be able to pick up a printed copy of that guide and use it to find other
                                      > sites you would like to visit. Be sure to come on out Saturday!
                                      And bring
                                      > your friends and neighbors!
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for spreading the word,
                                      >
                                      > Mike
                                      >

                                      > _____
                                      >
                                      > From: hreg@yahoogroups. <mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                                      com
                                      > [mailto:hreg@ yahoogroups. <mailto:
                                      href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com> com] On
                                      Behalf Of
                                      > Teri Mercatante
                                      > Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:56 PM
                                      > To: hreg@yahoogroups. <mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                                      com
                                      > Subject: [hreg] Re: Solar Tour
                                      >

                                      > The Solar Tour website is scheduled to be up and operational early

                                    • Kathleen Carrier
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 20, 2008

                                        Sometime after the tour – just pictures of people enjoying the tour, the tour hosts, etc.  It’s great to have a record of the event – and have the photos on hand to put up on the solar tour web site, and HREG web site later.

                                        Thanks, Kathleen.

> [...]

                                        you will
                                        > be able to pick up a printed copy of that guide and use it to find other
                                        > sites you would like to visit. Be sure to come on out Saturday!
                                        And bring
                                        > your friends and neighbors!
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for spreading the word,
                                        >
                                        > Mike
                                        >

                                        > _____
                                        >
                                        > From: hreg@yahoogroups. <mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                                        com
                                        > [mailto:hreg@ yahoogroups. <mailto:
                                        href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com> com] On
                                        Behalf Of
                                        > Teri Mercatante
                                        > Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:56 PM
                                        > To: hreg@yahoogroups. <mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                                        com
                                        > Subject: [hreg] Re: Solar Tour
                                        >

                                        > The Solar Tour website is scheduled to be up and operational early

                                      • Stephanie Edwards-Musa

                                          Ditto!  Thank you for putting this event together.  My husband and I will be touring this weekend for the first time and hope to come out with some good tips to get us started on our solar adventure‚Ķ

                                          Jeanette

                                          I went last year and I had a blast. You better believe I am going again!

                                          I just wanted to say "Thank you" in advance for all the work you guys
                                          did putting this together - you guys are awesome!

                                          - Jay

                                          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Carrier" <kathleen@...> wrote:

                                          > You can go to any locations that you like - within the time frame
                                          for the
                                          > sites. Outlying locations are from 10-2pm. Locations inside or near
                                          610 are
                                          > from 12-4pm. The tour ends with the Discovery Green event from 4pm
                                          to 6pm.
                                          > See the projects in any order that you like. We did, however, try to
                                          > arrange the projects in a logical order in the tour guide.
                                          >

                                          > The format is open, and the tour is free. With over 20 different
                                          projects
                                          > to see, you may want to read the tour guide, and pick the sites that are
                                          > most interesting to you, and closest to you.
                                          >

                                          > Enjoy - and please send us your feed back for next year's tour!
                                          >

                                          > Kathleen Reardon
                                          >
                                          > Solar Tour Coordinator
                                          >

                                          > _____

                                          Mobile:  281-635-9444