Boone Pickens' energy plan

  • J P Malone
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008

      http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSN0826319520080708

      Bear in mind Boone owns a lot of wind farms & natural gas, but that does not make him wrong.

      The US bans natural gas powered automobiles but GM builds 14 models in foreign countries.  So the technology is already available today.  And has been powering vehicles for many years.

      I rode in one in Canada about 2 years ago that cost 50 cents a gallon equivalent.  It was the airport limo from Calgary to Banff Springs. If the driver did not tell us it was powered on NG we would not have known the difference.  No pollution.

      Could be a big contribution very fast while working on solar improvements, etc.

      Checked by AVG.

    • phil6142@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
        I am pretty sure there is no US ban on natural gas vehicles if there is they forgot to tell alot of people.  I have a friend in Arizona who owns a natural gas powered vehicle, and I know of many municiple bus systems that use natural gas busses including some in here in Texas.  I also recently read an article discussing the pro's and cons people had of using natural gas vehicles in California.  It seems that there biggest complaint was not many fueling stations and a relatively short range between fillups.  The real problem with natural gas is that it is also a fossil fuel and its price will ultimately remain tied to oil.  Also it is not really polution free as depending on how you convert the natural gas (combustion or fuel cell) you could still get NOx formation and the CO2 is unavoidable.

        Hydrogen however produced using the wind turbines is a clean fuel which can be used in our cars with the same technology as natural gas but it is clean burning.  (Can still have some NOx formation but it is significantly less)  Oh except for the whole super high cost thing but we are working on it.  And if we can just get the gasoline price to double again hydrogen will be cost competitive.

        Phillip

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008

          The city of San Antonio is converting a lot of its diesel buses to run on LNG, several of the San Antonio school districts are also converting, some to LNG some to propane, the cost of the fuel currently less than half the equivalent cost of diesel and it reduces air pollution as well.

          David

[...]

        • Rohini & Ethan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
            The state agency I work for used CNG powered vehicles (pickups, sedans, vans) for about 10 years, at least several hundred were operating at one time statewide.  But in the past 24 months, we ended the effort due to the industry not able to supply replacement parts to maintain the systems.

            ethan

            On Jul 9, 2008, at 4:35 PM, David Power wrote:

            The city of  San Antonio is converting a lot of its diesel buses to run on LNG, several of the  San Antonio school districts are also converting, some to LNG some to propane, the cost of the fuel currently less than half the equivalent cost of diesel and it reduces air pollution as well.

            David

          • Randy Scott
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
              No replacement parts?
              That's odd - a company I worked for in Dallas was Rochester Gauges.
              They have a subsidiary called Gas Equipment Company who not only do
              conversions of fleet vehicles but also supply parts.

              Randy

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Rohini & Ethan <rohinib@...> wrote:

              > The state agency I work for used CNG powered vehicles (pickups,
              > sedans, vans) for about 10 years, at least several hundred were
              > operating at one time statewide. But in the past 24 months, we
              ended
              > the effort due to the industry not able to supply replacement
              parts
              > to maintain the systems.
              >
              > ethan
              >

              > On Jul 9, 2008, at 4:35 PM, David Power wrote:
              >

              > > The city of San Antonio is converting a lot of its diesel buses
              > > run on LNG, several of the San Antonio school districts are also
              > > converting, some to LNG some to propane, the cost of the fuel
              > > currently less than half the equivalent cost of diesel and it
              > > reduces air pollution as well.
              > >

              > > David

            • Jack Wagner (HSN)
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008

                I looked into buying a LNG vehicle at a government auction a few years back. The cars were available and priced reasonable. When I checked on fuel availability in Houston , the main distribution center here was trying to unload their fueling stations due to lack of interest/profit. If I remember correctly, they were owned or a subsidiary of Reliant.

              • phil6142@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
                  I am not sure about local filling stations but here are three links to companies that I know of supplying parts for NG vehichles.  Not local but I am sure they can deliver.

                  http://www.hendrixsystems.com/
                  http://www.impco.ws/

                  http://www.qtww.com/index.php

                  Phillip