Re: [hreg] Latest prices of solar panel

  • Bashir Syed
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
      The problem with eBay advertised items is that Technology used for the items is not described. It is important to know as it relates to Efficiency as well as LIFE of these Modules.

      Bashir A. Syed
      From: Solar Energy <WhySolar@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [hreg] Latest prices of solar panel
      To: "hreg" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 6:51 PM

      Does any one have the latest figures on cost of solar panels?  I am interested in price (US$ per Watt) of panels in the size range 130 watts to 220 watts.  I have this table but it's old.

      Thanks

      This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited."

    • Kerry Gregg
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008

        I think that eBay is a great way to monitor market prices for all manner of goods, but in the case of PV modules, eBay might not be on the leading edge of the market.  Thin film PV looks to be the best cost/efficiency play on the market today and for the near future, and I don’t think that we’re seeing much (if any?) of this on eBay (or any consumer-available market) yet.

        Peace!

        Kerry

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008

          Ebay has solar film cells "NEW Thin- Film Solar Cells: Next Generation Photovoltaics" (but it is a $138 book!).

          I would not use Ebay for a serious project but I would use it for a smaller scale DIY, introductory, or self-education project.  It is a great new technology access/current availability check tool.

          Ebay will access new businesses offering new equipment but like anything you by there is no local site analysis or local field support or service like you would receive from a local Solar supplier. You can find new complete packages like the following, but again the technology research is up to the buyer-

          3KW 3500W 550KWH SOLAR GRID FEED CASH REBATE $14,000 NEW 5 AVAILABLE = $4.7 $/watt

          6KW WHOLE HOUSE SYSTEM SOLAR PANELS OUTBACK INVERTER $36,864 NEW = $6.1 $/watt

          7.2 KW GRID TIE SUNNYBOY SANYO SOLAR PANEL UNIRAC $49,714 NEW= $6.9 $/watt

          This averages $5.9 $/watt. If you throw out the 'low bidder' like you are suppose to do, you are at $6.5/watt which sounds about right as semi-wholesale and without service compaired to the mentioned $6.7 to 7.4 /watt 'retail'.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008
            Gary:
            Greetings! The information you provided in the second part makes more sense. Thin film Technology is new and unless efficiency and life are known, it is not advisable for a novice to indulge in this. Moreover, this film technology involves deposition on Glass (breakable, even a scratch on the film due to mishandling can make it defective). CIS or CIGS (Copper-Indium-Gallium-Selnide) Thin film tecnology does not involve avaialbility of Slicon, and for this reason only SHELL dumped all of its Silicon busines and opted enturely foi CIS/CIGS PV Modules. CIS/CIGS Solar PV Modules have a better Spectral Response than Silicon (except Triple Junction cells that are showing 43% efficiencty in the Lab as reported by University of Delaware) and ought tyo be in the market within two years but at at a higher cost. Silicon avaialbility caused increasi cost ($/Watt) since 2003, as there were only about 8 companies in the world that recocered Silicon from Sand, and nor there are more than 20 companies, that has resulted lowering of the wholesale cost for PolyCrystalline modules to $3.11/Watt as reported in an article "Success In Solar Manufacturing - Challenges and Opportunities, by Roger G. Little of SPIRE Corporation, Massachusetts, pages 87-92, Renewable Energy World Magazine, .May/June 2008 issue. In the same article it is mentioned that in 2008, following facts:
            Crystalline Silicon: (Mon- & Poly) = 22,000 Mega-tons
                   Modules produced: 3000 MW - about 6 Times more than Thin Fim.
                    Worldwide PV production by Technology:
                    Technology                        Cell Production (MW)    Cell Production (%)
                    Poly or MultiCrystalline Si           990 MW                     56.3 %
                    Mono or Single Crystal Si            486 MW                     27.6%
                    Ribbon Si                                     53 MW                      3 %
                    Amorphous on CZ Si                   122 MW                      6.9 %
                    Thin Film                                    108 MW                     6.1 % (Life ~ 10 Years but begin to degrade after 6 years)
                    Total:                                        1760 MW                    6.1 %

            Where as, Thin Film and others - Modules: ~ 600 MW

            Bashir A. Syed

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008

              Thanks - Great stuff!

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008

                Bashir,

                This evaluation is insufficient to select, which panels might be more economical. The one that lasts 6 years might be more economical than the others that last 20 years.  But we must know the cost breakdown in $/watt/year.  Do you have such figures?

                Ahmad