RE: [hreg] Re: List owners note : was Why can't we do this in America

  • H.W. Bud Johnson
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 3, 2008

      Hello All:

      While many believe the military spends money on only means of mass destruction the reason we have our modern computers, internet, GPS, water purification systems, composite materials, etc. is because of DOD contracts.  Do you realize the DOD is spending tremendous sums on money on renewable energy?  The following is a summary of one recent contract:

      Champion Energy Services, LLC of Houston, Texas, is being awarded a firm fixed price, indefinite term utilities contract for $400,000,000 (estimated for 20 years -- actual costs are dependent on electricity usage). This action will provide for retail electric provider services –contractor will manage a strategic supply portfolio, to provide renewable and non-renewable electricity for Goodfellow AFB, Laughlin AFB, and Sheppard AFB, Texas in the deregulated market. At this time $70,000 has been obligated. AETC CONS/LGCD, Randolph AFB, Texas , is the contracting activity (FA3002-08-D--0026).

      Did you know that for years the DOD has been holding regular conferences to develop alternative fuels?  The following is from one such conference in 2006:

      Bio-Based Products Enhance National Security

      By Sgt. Sara Wood, USA
      American Forces Press Service

      WASHINGTON, Sept. 12, 2006 – The use of biological-based products is important to the nation’s economy and to national security, because these products help reduce America ’s dependence on foreign energy resources, the deputy secretary of defense said here today.

      The Defense Department is the largest purchaser of products in the federal government, and therefore has an opportunity to promote the use of bio-based products, many of which act as substitutes for products based on non-renewable natural resources like oil and natural gas, Gordon England said at the opening of a Pentagon showcase of bio-based products.

      “To be clear, this is not like the latest health food fad, where you go to a specialty shop and you buy a lot of additional expensive supplements and ingredients,” England said. “This is about substituting an equally effective product or approach to meet a requirement you have that may well end up costing less in the end.”

      DoD is pleased to lead the way in bio-based product use for the federal government, because these products make the country more secure by reducing America ’s dependence on foreign energy resources and are a key part of the department’s overall strategy, England said.

      “Our strategy also supports our long-term national security interests by protecting and preserving the environment for the future generations, so they can enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to the fullest here in America ,” he said.

      England noted that DoD facilities already are using bio-based products, such as soy-based cleaning solutions and, in some cases, are saving thousands of dollars.

      Bio-based products are composed of renewable products that are grown in America ’s fields and forests, including plant, animal and marine materials, Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns said at the showcase. These products not only reduce the country’s reliance on the world’s finite supply of fossil fuels, but also help the economy by promoting growth in rural America , he said.

      In order to reap the benefits of bio-based products, Congress has identified the developing bio-based industry for preferential treatment within the federal government, Johanns said. The U.S. Department of Agriculture is going through a process of screening and approving bio-based products. Once final rules are issued, federal agencies will be required to use these environmentally friendly products, he said.

      The Department of Agriculture has identified more than 170 items that are eligible to be included in the bio-based procurement program. A final rule was established in March to designate the first six bio-based items, Johanns said. These six items are found in at least 80 branded products found in the market today, including hydraulic fluids, floor coatings, bedding, linens and towels, he said. The department is working to advance another 50 items into formal clearance by the end of the year, he added.

      DoD already has made great strides in the bio-based products effort, and as the program moves forward, the department has enormous potential to influence the rest of the federal government, Johanns said. “The fact that you’re here today at this conference is a testament to what you’re doing here,” he said. “Our efforts to increase bio-based procurement have met great success so far.”

      The Pentagon showcase, scheduled to last through noon tomorrow, brings together members of the bio-based product industry and those in DoD who specify, buy and use commercial or industrial products. The showcase includes multiple product booths and a series of panel discussions on specific product categories, such as biodegradable industrial oils and lubricants, packaging materials, and hand-sanitation products.

      The federal government, mostly through the DOD, is spending billions of dollars a year on alternative energy sources.  There is no doubt the efficiency of the procurement contracts can be improved if the FAR regulations were changed.  Today the emphasis with DOD is performance based contracts in lieu of the past practice of time & materials.  Progress is being made and with more capitalism, where risk is rewarded, this country can be more efficient.

      H.W. Bud Johnson

      Remedial Operations Group, Inc.

      From: jack_wagner@ symantec. com
      Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:00:21 +0000

      Some additional quotes from TJ for those interested in our founding
      principles:

      -"Taste cannot be controlled by law. "

      -"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent
      of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. "

      -"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling
      alliances with none. "

      -"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never
      was and never will be. "

      -"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a
      newspaper. "

      -"Banking establishments are more dangerous to liberty than standing
      armies. "

      -"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the
      only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. "

      -"Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of
      government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow
      operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

      -"The spirit of resistance is so valuable on certain occasions that
      I wish it to be always kept alive. "

      -"Power is not alluring to pure minds. "

      -"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. "

      -"I am mortified to be told that, in the United States of America,
      the sale of a book can become a subject of inquiry, and of criminal
      inquiry too. "

      -"I swear eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the
      mind of man. "

      -"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied
      corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a
      trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. "

      -"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
      ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. "

      -"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
      government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense
      of taking care of them. "

      -"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
      liberty than those attending too small a degree of it."

      -"Leave no authority existing not responsible to the people. "

      -"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep
      and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against
      tyranny in government. "

      -"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of
      liberty. "

      -"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
      government fears the people, there is liberty. "

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "J P Malone" <JPMALONE@.. .> wrote:

      > We said, Kim.
      >
      > As a combat veteran of Vietnam
      I believe, as Thomas Jefferson
      said, “dissent is the highest form of patriotism.”

      > Stifling opinions is un-American.

      ymailto="mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf
      Of Garth & Kim Travis
      > Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 7:22 AM
      > To:
      ymailto="mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com
      America

      > Greetings,
      >
      > This is not a veterans list, or a pro American list. This is a
      > renewable energy list, and I don't care where the idea comes from,
      if it
      > is good, we should use it. No country or person is so perfect they
      > can't learn from others. And I have read the writing of the
      founding
      > fathers, they believed that questioning our government was an
      American

      wrote:
      > > Moderators? Any chance for intervention here?
      > > I don't know how many other veterans are on this list and feel
      the way I
      > > do, but if this is allowed to continue then I'll be off the list
      by
      > > tonight.

      > Checked by AVG.
      7/2/2008 7:02 PM

      > Checked by AVG.
      7/2/2008 7:02 PM

      Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play chicktionary!

    • evelyn sardina
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 11, 2008
        Your efforts are appreciated.... Thanks!

        From: evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@ yahoo.com>
        To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 12:23 AM

        I like it too... If anyone wants to join the other forum then it's all good. I say keep it like it is.