Re: [hreg] Re: List owners note : was Why can't we do this in America

  • Steven Shepard
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 3, 2008
      I guess I have to second the request to return on topic. But I can't help myself when I add that I was never more proud of this country than when I witnessed us endeavor as a nation to better ourselves with education, scientific research and exploration of the ocean and space.  Our victories and defeat in war do not inspire any confidence, dedication or patriotism.  If our government would devote a fraction of the Pentagon's budget, finance and effort on our own issues (like energy, exploration and sustainable design) we would be much better off as a country and as a people.  We should be aggressively leading the way in peaceful pursuits not as an aggressive global force.  These are just the opinions and sentiments of a US patriot.

      Steve

      From: jack_wagner@ symantec. com
      Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:00:21 +0000

      Some additional quotes from TJ for those interested in our founding
      principles:

      -"Taste cannot be controlled by law. "

      -"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent
      of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. "

      -"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling
      alliances with none. "

      -"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never
      was and never will be. "

      -"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a
      newspaper. "

      -"Banking establishments are more dangerous to liberty than standing
      armies. "

      -"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the
      only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. "

      -"Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of
      government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow
      operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

      -"The spirit of resistance is so valuable on certain occasions that
      I wish it to be always kept alive. "

      -"Power is not alluring to pure minds. "

      -"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. "

      -"I am mortified to be told that, in the United States of America,
      the sale of a book can become a subject of inquiry, and of criminal
      inquiry too. "

      -"I swear eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the
      mind of man. "

      -"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied
      corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a
      trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. "

      -"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
      ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. "

      -"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
      government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense
      of taking care of them. "

      -"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
      liberty than those attending too small a degree of it."

      -"Leave no authority existing not responsible to the people. "

      -"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep
      and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against
      tyranny in government. "

      -"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of
      liberty. "

      -"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
      government fears the people, there is liberty. "

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "J P Malone" <JPMALONE@.. .> wrote:

      > We said, Kim.
      >
      > As a combat veteran of Vietnam I believe, as Thomas Jefferson
      said, “dissent is the highest form of patriotism.”

      > Stifling opinions is un-American.

      Of Garth & Kim Travis
      > Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 7:22 AM
      > To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
      America

      > Greetings,
      >
      > This is not a veterans list, or a pro American list. This is a
      > renewable energy list, and I don't care where the idea comes from,
      if it
      > is good, we should use it. No country or person is so perfect they
      > can't learn from others. And I have read the writing of the
      founding
      > fathers, they believed that questioning our government was an
      American
      > Responsibility and the only way to keep despotism at bay.
      >
      > However, this thread needs to be stopped, since the name calling
      > started. Discussing the variety of ways to solve problems from
      around
      > the world is okay. Kindly keep the name calling out of it.
      >
      > Also, how about some manners on this list, such as trimming posts?
      >
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Kim
      > List Owner
      >
      > HYPERLINK "mailto:tstranger% 40garlandind. com"tstranger@ ... wrote:
      > > Moderators? Any chance for intervention here?
      > > I don't know how many other veterans are on this list and feel
      the way I
      > > do, but if this is allowed to continue then I'll be off the list
      by
      > > tonight.

      > Checked by AVG.
      7/2/2008 7:02 PM

      > Checked by AVG.
      7/2/2008 7:02 PM

      Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play chicktionary!

    • evelyn sardina
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 11, 2008
        Your efforts are appreciated.... Thanks!

        From: evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@ yahoo.com>
        To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 12:23 AM

        I like it too... If anyone wants to join the other forum then it's all good. I say keep it like it is.