RE: [hreg] Why can't we do this in America

  • Gary Beck
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 3 6:49 AM

      Beside the political stuff,  which you are free to espouse in THIS country, your email did bring up some renewable energy points worth comments.

       US citizens, US businesses, and the US government, in that order, each have the ability to adjust energy consumption and political will. Buyers are replacing Big SUVs with economy cars and with 'midsized' SUVs. GM is taking the Hummer brand off the market.  We will soon free elections that provide constitutional choices.

      On the science side, we could not turn Arizona and Nevada into giant megaton (million tons of sunbeams?) solar plants because the Arizonians, Nevadans, and environmentalists would not allow it. The real science would also find holes in this thinking, just like it did in the politically led ethanol/biofuels 'mistake'.  Even Germany is rethinking their subsidy programs for soybeans and rhapseed crops used for biodiesel.

      A way to think differently about energy is to understand that with the exception of nuclear, all of the other sources of man's energy comes from the sun. Oil/gas/coal is just the sun's energy captured by biologicals over millions of years.  Use them and we just release that energy with the carbon and hydrogen that was originally stored by plants powered by the sun.  Solar energy captures otherwise reflected energy that is eventually converted into waste atmospheric heat.   So the only variable man has is the choice in the use of energy, not in its source. To minimize this, our choice should be to buy only efficient appliances and cars, and design to use less. I am still waiting for the list of crooked leaders and violent leaders. I will add greedy oilmen.  Have a great 4th.

      From: Ed Joyner <edjoyner@...>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 10:06 AM

      Way to go Gary!!! I agree with you 100%! In the Vietnam war days the soldiers (including me) would tell these idiot leftists to either love this wonderful country, or leave it! No one is keeping them here. And, a one way ticket to Germany or China isn't that much. This anti-American attitude is most likely fostered by the decadent public school system in most inner cities.

      Happy 4th of July to you too and to all those who love this great country!

      Ed

      Gary Beck wrote:

      I love it. Just in time for the 4th of July.

      Okay, let me get this straight. You live in a country that leads by example and by goodness, and because it is the first one down the path, occasionally stumbles, but always has regained its footing.

      Yet, you think America, a country founded and shaped by immigrants, is a bad, dumb, bully. And mysteriously the countries that supplied America's immigrants are all good, smart, and peaceful.

      Hmmm,…maybe there's something in our water.

      My July 4th Responses:

      1. You are oblivious to the comfort and safety that is provided by this great country. Go rent 'Kite Runner' to adjust your perspective.

      2. Buy some solar PVs, disconnect your meter, and buy some sturdy lawn chairs since you will be more comfortable outside.

      3. Then sell your car, buy a bike, a Metro Pass, and start a vegetable garden. Then buy a beer cooler to set 'tween them lawn chairs.

      4. Finally, quit complaining and electing those crooks, and send me a list of their names - I'm from Joisey, …I know a guy who knows a guy….

      I worked for a German company for 5 years and have traveled to China many times. Great experiences and great cultures that each specifically value technology, engineers, designers, and education.

      And like the USA, also countries whose economies run 98% on oil, gas, and coal. So get used to it, buy only efficient appliances and cars, and design to use less.

      And Have a Happy 4th!

      Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

      Engineering and Green Consulting Services

      Eco-Holdings 4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Ste 114 Houston, TX 77025

      Tel: 713-377-4209 Fax: 832-201-5338 www.ecoegr.com

      Engineering Services: Inspection of Foundation and Framing Systems;

      Residential, Retail, Commercial, Lodging, Educational, & Governmental

      Design Documents (Blue Prints) Energy Consulting, Low Energy Design

      ECO,...Where Sustainability Is Designed

      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 11 5:56 PM
        Your efforts are appreciated.... Thanks!

        From: evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@ yahoo.com>
        To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 12:23 AM

        I like it too... If anyone wants to join the other forum then it's all good. I say keep it like it is.