Latest prices of solar panel

  • Solar Energy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 17, 2008
      Does any one have the latest figures on cost of solar panels?  I am interested in price (US$ per Watt) of panels in the size range 130 watts to 220 watts.  I have this table but it's old.Thanks

    • Jim & Janet
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 19, 2008
        Check out solarbuzz dot com
        Jim

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 20, 2008
          Thanks a bunch; are there any news if the Solar PV  panel prices might fall below $3.5 to $4.0 per watt?  If the manufacturers could reduce the cost of making PV to $3.0 per watt then it may become extremely economical in install at homes and businesses.  In fact, it may become very common -especially to residential homes.

          Jim & Janet <jhd1@...> wrote:
          Check out solarbuzz dot com
          Jim

          Does any one have the latest figures on cost of solar panels?  I am interested in price (US$ per Watt) of panels in the size range 130 watts to 220 watts.  I have this table but it's old.
          Thanks

        • evelyn sardina
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 25, 2008
            Remember to add the cost of the inverter, tracks, batteries etc to get the big picture. The solar panels alone is not the only cost to consider.... Good luck.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 25, 2008
              Hello all, Just received this today, did anyone else get one of
              these? I am wondering how across the board they are? Anyone?

              Hi William,

              Texas is the national leader in wind power and we have the potential
              meet the rest of our energy needs with solar power. In fact, if we
              put
              solar panels on an area thirty miles by thirty miles in west Texas,
              we
              could generate enough electricity to power the entire state at prices
              competitive with new nuclear plants!

              But to bring all that clean wind and solar power from west Texas, we
              need to invest in our transmission grid. Right now, the Public
              Utilities
              Commission is deciding how much renewable energy transmission to
              build.

              The most ambitious plan they're looking at would create transmission
              capacity for almost an additional 18,000 megawatts of wind and solar
              power, which would reduce smog pollution from power plants by 13% and
              global warming pollution by 16%.

              As the PUC prepares to make its decision, I invite you to sign this
              petition urging the Commissioners to select a plan that maximizes the
              renewable energy transmission grid.

              http://environmenttexas.org/action/clean-energy/transmission?id4=ES

              Sincerely,

              Luke Metzger
              Environment Texas Director
              LukeM@...
              http://www.environmenttexas.org

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:

              > Remember to add the cost of the inverter, tracks, batteries etc to
              get the big picture. The solar panels alone is not the only cost to
              consider.... Good luck.

            • Solar Energy
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 28, 2008
                Evelyn

                Thank you very much for the information.  For now I just wanted to follow the price of solar panels; I believe when it drops below $3.25 per watt then no one has any excuse not to switch to solar energy in areas where the sun shines over 70% of the time.  The wind energy could make up for the rest.  Of course, I am talking from economics standpoint only.  To protect the environment then we should switch at any cost.  But I am afraid money talks.  Right now, the price is over $4.50 per watt. Not many people will switch except the environmentally conscious.

                Based on energy reports, many new manufacturing plants are being built but will not be ready till 2010 or after.  By 2011, I expect solar & wind energy quadruple in production - worldwide.

                ahmad

                From: Solar Energy <WhySolar@yahoo. com>
                To: "hreg" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 6:51 PM

                Does any one have the latest figures on cost of solar panels?  I am interested in price (US$ per Watt) of panels in the size range 130 watts to 220 watts.  I have this table but it's old.

                Thanks

              • bigneuticals
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 29, 2008
                  I too am researching the price of a system for my home. My energy
                  usage with a fairly efficient 2800 sq ft home (family of 4) is about
                  1300KW per month, which places me at roughly 6 or 7Kw for 50% of
                  usage. I have been considering a grid tie system to start, and
                  incrementally building a battery bank and larger array once the grid
                  tie is installed and running. Here is a link to what I have found to
                  be the best deal yet @ about $5.27 per Watt and includes Sharp 224W
                  panels, inverters and other installation accessories:

                  http://www.solarelectricsupply.com/systems/grid-tie/discount-
                  gridtie.html

                  As for the pricing, I can't seem to locate it right now, but there
                  was an article from the Prometheus Institute about a forecasted panel
                  price drop in 2009.

                  http://www.prometheus.org/

                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Solar Energy <WhySolar@...> wrote:

                  > Does any one have the latest figures on cost of solar panels? I am
                  interested in price (US$ per Watt) of panels in the size range 130
                  watts to 220 watts. I have this table but it's old.
                  http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm
                  > Thanks

                • Bashir Syed
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
                    Evergreen Solar : 200-W [Silicon Riboon Technology] for $6.75/W
                    Mitsubishi: 125-W (Polysilicon) for 7.4$/W;
                                    185-W for $ 6.70/W Retail Cost from www.aeesolar.com

                    Bashir A. Syed

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008

                      A good way to find an estimate of solar cells or other hot green technology items like wind generators and water harvesting for small projects  is on Ebay.

                      Do an advanced search on the word 'Solar', selection 2 or more bids, and a minimum price of $250 with no maximum.

                      This just yielded

                      100 Watts for $360 (= $3.6 watt but 15 bidders and 5 days to go!)

                      160 Watts for $390 (= $2.4 watt but 15 bidders and 5 days to go!)

                      100 Watts for $470 (= $4.7 watt but 14 bidders and 2 days to go!)

                      To find a truer market value look at only 'completed' items - this yielded

                      SOLD YESTERDAY - 250 Watts for $1000 (= $4 watt with 22 bidders) for 'used but never used' quality right from Katy Texas!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
                        You must be carefull with any solar panel under 5.00 per watt. Often these are people running a scam to get your money.
                        The wholesale market demands at least 4.00 per watt to installers who buy large quantities.

                        Ralph Parrott

                        Ralph Parrott

                        Sent via my BlackBerry

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
                          The problem with eBay advertised items is that Technology used for the items is not described. It is important to know as it relates to Efficiency as well as LIFE of these Modules.

                          Bashir A. Syed

                          Remember to add the cost of the inverter, tracks, batteries etc to get the big picture. The solar panels alone is not the only cost to consider.... Good luck.

                          Does any one have the latest figures on cost of solar panels?  I am interested in price (US$ per Watt) of panels in the size range 130 watts to 220 watts.  I have this table but it's old.

                          Thanks

                          This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited."

                        • Kerry Gregg
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008

                            I think that eBay is a great way to monitor market prices for all manner of goods, but in the case of PV modules, eBay might not be on the leading edge of the market.  Thin film PV looks to be the best cost/efficiency play on the market today and for the near future, and I don’t think that we’re seeing much (if any?) of this on eBay (or any consumer-available market) yet.

                            Peace!

                            Kerry

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008

                              Ebay has solar film cells "NEW Thin- Film Solar Cells: Next Generation Photovoltaics" (but it is a $138 book!).

                              I would not use Ebay for a serious project but I would use it for a smaller scale DIY, introductory, or self-education project.  It is a great new technology access/current availability check tool.

                              Ebay will access new businesses offering new equipment but like anything you by there is no local site analysis or local field support or service like you would receive from a local Solar supplier. You can find new complete packages like the following, but again the technology research is up to the buyer-

                              3KW 3500W 550KWH SOLAR GRID FEED CASH REBATE $14,000 NEW 5 AVAILABLE = $4.7 $/watt

                              6KW WHOLE HOUSE SYSTEM SOLAR PANELS OUTBACK INVERTER $36,864 NEW = $6.1 $/watt

                              7.2 KW GRID TIE SUNNYBOY SANYO SOLAR PANEL UNIRAC $49,714 NEW= $6.9 $/watt

                              This averages $5.9 $/watt. If you throw out the 'low bidder' like you are suppose to do, you are at $6.5/watt which sounds about right as semi-wholesale and without service compaired to the mentioned $6.7 to 7.4 /watt 'retail'.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008
                                Gary:
                                Greetings! The information you provided in the second part makes more sense. Thin film Technology is new and unless efficiency and life are known, it is not advisable for a novice to indulge in this. Moreover, this film technology involves deposition on Glass (breakable, even a scratch on the film due to mishandling can make it defective). CIS or CIGS (Copper-Indium-Gallium-Selnide) Thin film tecnology does not involve avaialbility of Slicon, and for this reason only SHELL dumped all of its Silicon busines and opted enturely foi CIS/CIGS PV Modules. CIS/CIGS Solar PV Modules have a better Spectral Response than Silicon (except Triple Junction cells that are showing 43% efficiencty in the Lab as reported by University of Delaware) and ought tyo be in the market within two years but at at a higher cost. Silicon avaialbility caused increasi cost ($/Watt) since 2003, as there were only about 8 companies in the world that recocered Silicon from Sand, and nor there are more than 20 companies, that has resulted lowering of the wholesale cost for PolyCrystalline modules to $3.11/Watt as reported in an article "Success In Solar Manufacturing - Challenges and Opportunities, by Roger G. Little of SPIRE Corporation, Massachusetts, pages 87-92, Renewable Energy World Magazine, .May/June 2008 issue. In the same article it is mentioned that in 2008, following facts:
                                Crystalline Silicon: (Mon- & Poly) = 22,000 Mega-tons
                                       Modules produced: 3000 MW - about 6 Times more than Thin Fim.
                                        Worldwide PV production by Technology:
                                        Technology                        Cell Production (MW)    Cell Production (%)
                                        Poly or MultiCrystalline Si           990 MW                     56.3 %
                                        Mono or Single Crystal Si            486 MW                     27.6%
                                        Ribbon Si                                     53 MW                      3 %
                                        Amorphous on CZ Si                   122 MW                      6.9 %
                                        Thin Film                                    108 MW                     6.1 % (Life ~ 10 Years but begin to degrade after 6 years)
                                        Total:                                        1760 MW                    6.1 %

                                Where as, Thin Film and others - Modules: ~ 600 MW

                                Bashir A. Syed

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008

                                  Thanks - Great stuff!

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008

                                    Bashir,

                                    This evaluation is insufficient to select, which panels might be more economical. The one that lasts 6 years might be more economical than the others that last 20 years.  But we must know the cost breakdown in $/watt/year.  Do you have such figures?

                                    Ahmad