Algae vs coal

  • tms_lz129
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008
      Algae is not a derivative of coal. Coal is the compressed remains
      of plants that grew and accumulated in wet environments and were
      buried without decomposing. The lack of decomposition is due to the
      lack of oxygen in the bottoms of the swamps and lagoons where the
      ancient forests grew. Those conditions also caused the sulfer we
      associate with coal to accumulate.

      Oil is different and is more closely associated with the microscopic
      remains of the animal life that rains down onto the ocean floor from
      above. Those sediments when "cooked" make the liquid carbon
      compounds we collectively refer to as petroleum.

      Using any biomass to generate power, whether it be of a fossil
      nature or not, is going to add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere
      unless the waste gases are sequestered somehow.

      In hreg@yahoogroups.com, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:

      > Correct me if I am wrong but algae is a derivative of coal....
      >
      > William <stangfam@...> wrote: I am excited about this!!
      After long discussions about "what is fossil
      > fuel" it seems we do not need to wait for millions/billions of
      years to
      > make plant life and algae into fuel!! Isn't that exciting? The
      links
      > below are quite interesting and I'm hoping for some good input.
      >
      > http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-
      > 2008may29,0,7208016.story
      > http://www.sapphireenergy.com/mediacenter/press_release/1
      >
      > Maybe instead of this;
      >
      > http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncenter/petitions/?
      Guid=54ec6e43-
      > 75a8-445b-aa7b-346a1e096659

    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008

        Biomass doesn’t typically add NET load of CO2 to the atmosphere since it consumes CO2 to grow.

        href="http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-">http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-