Re: [hreg] Sapphire Green

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2008
      Correct me if I am wrong but algae is a derivative of coal....

      William <stangfam@...> wrote:
      I am excited about this!! After long discussions about "what is fossil
      fuel" it seems we do not need to wait for millions/billions of years to
      make plant life and algae into fuel!! Isn't that exciting? The links
      below are quite interesting and I'm hoping for some good input.

      http://www.latimes. com/news/ science/environm ent/la-fi- greencrude29-
      2008may29,0, 7208016.story
      http://www.sapphire energy.com/ mediacenter/ press_release/ 1

      Maybe instead of this;

      http://www.american solutions. com/actioncenter /petitions/ ?Guid=54ec6e43-
      75a8-445b-aa7b- 346a1e096659

    • Garth & Kim Travis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2008
        Put some water out in the sun and wait, you will soon have lots of
        algae. Ask anyone with a swimming pool.
        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

        evelyn sardina wrote:
        > Correct me if I am wrong but algae is a derivative of coal....

      • tms_lz129
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008
          Algae is not a derivative of coal. Coal is the compressed remains
          of plants that grew and accumulated in wet environments and were
          buried without decomposing. The lack of decomposition is due to the
          lack of oxygen in the bottoms of the swamps and lagoons where the
          ancient forests grew. Those conditions also caused the sulfer we
          associate with coal to accumulate.

          Oil is different and is more closely associated with the microscopic
          remains of the animal life that rains down onto the ocean floor from
          above. Those sediments when "cooked" make the liquid carbon
          compounds we collectively refer to as petroleum.

          Using any biomass to generate power, whether it be of a fossil
          nature or not, is going to add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere
          unless the waste gases are sequestered somehow.

          In hreg@yahoogroups.com, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:

          > Correct me if I am wrong but algae is a derivative of coal....
          >
          > William <stangfam@...> wrote: I am excited about this!!
          After long discussions about "what is fossil
          > fuel" it seems we do not need to wait for millions/billions of
          years to
          > make plant life and algae into fuel!! Isn't that exciting? The
          links
          > below are quite interesting and I'm hoping for some good input.
          >
          > http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-
          > 2008may29,0,7208016.story
          > http://www.sapphireenergy.com/mediacenter/press_release/1
          >
          > Maybe instead of this;
          >
          > http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncenter/petitions/?
          Guid=54ec6e43-
          > 75a8-445b-aa7b-346a1e096659

        • Robert Johnston
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008

            Biomass doesn’t typically add NET load of CO2 to the atmosphere since it consumes CO2 to grow.

            href="http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-">http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-