Sapphire Green

  • William
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2008
      I am excited about this!! After long discussions about "what is fossil
      fuel" it seems we do not need to wait for millions/billions of years to
      make plant life and algae into fuel!! Isn't that exciting? The links
      below are quite interesting and I'm hoping for some good input.

      http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-
      2008may29,0,7208016.story
      http://www.sapphireenergy.com/mediacenter/press_release/1

      Maybe instead of this;

      http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncenter/petitions/?Guid=54ec6e43-
      75a8-445b-aa7b-346a1e096659
    • evelyn sardina
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2008
        Correct me if I am wrong but algae is a derivative of coal....

        William <stangfam@...> wrote:
        I am excited about this!! After long discussions about "what is fossil
        fuel" it seems we do not need to wait for millions/billions of years to
        make plant life and algae into fuel!! Isn't that exciting? The links
        below are quite interesting and I'm hoping for some good input.

        http://www.latimes. com/news/ science/environm ent/la-fi- greencrude29-
        2008may29,0, 7208016.story
        http://www.sapphire energy.com/ mediacenter/ press_release/ 1

        Maybe instead of this;

        http://www.american solutions. com/actioncenter /petitions/ ?Guid=54ec6e43-
        75a8-445b-aa7b- 346a1e096659

      • Garth & Kim Travis
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2008
          Put some water out in the sun and wait, you will soon have lots of
          algae. Ask anyone with a swimming pool.
          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          evelyn sardina wrote:
          > Correct me if I am wrong but algae is a derivative of coal....

        • tms_lz129
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008
            Algae is not a derivative of coal. Coal is the compressed remains
            of plants that grew and accumulated in wet environments and were
            buried without decomposing. The lack of decomposition is due to the
            lack of oxygen in the bottoms of the swamps and lagoons where the
            ancient forests grew. Those conditions also caused the sulfer we
            associate with coal to accumulate.

            Oil is different and is more closely associated with the microscopic
            remains of the animal life that rains down onto the ocean floor from
            above. Those sediments when "cooked" make the liquid carbon
            compounds we collectively refer to as petroleum.

            Using any biomass to generate power, whether it be of a fossil
            nature or not, is going to add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere
            unless the waste gases are sequestered somehow.

            In hreg@yahoogroups.com, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:

            > Correct me if I am wrong but algae is a derivative of coal....
            >
            > William <stangfam@...> wrote: I am excited about this!!
            After long discussions about "what is fossil
            > fuel" it seems we do not need to wait for millions/billions of
            years to
            > make plant life and algae into fuel!! Isn't that exciting? The
            links
            > below are quite interesting and I'm hoping for some good input.
            >
            > http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-
            > 2008may29,0,7208016.story
            > http://www.sapphireenergy.com/mediacenter/press_release/1
            >
            > Maybe instead of this;
            >
            > http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncenter/petitions/?
            Guid=54ec6e43-
            > 75a8-445b-aa7b-346a1e096659

          • Robert Johnston
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008

              Biomass doesn’t typically add NET load of CO2 to the atmosphere since it consumes CO2 to grow.

              href="http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-">http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-fi-greencrude29-