Re: [hreg] solar powered lawn mower

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2008
      Greetings,
      How tall can you let your grass get and still be able to cut it? If you
      go on vacation for a few weeks, and the grass grows in, will it cut foot
      tall grass? 2 feet tall? My gas mower will, so I am wondering.

      I never have time to run the mower more than 1/2 an hour at a time
      anyway, so run time wouldn't be a problem. What is the re-charge time?

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      T L J wrote:
      > The mower uses deep-discharge lead-acid batteries in the design, and I
      > had to replace them once about a year ago (so about a 3 year lifespan -
      > cost for after-market batteries was about $70). Performance-wise, it's
      > perfect for most in-city or suburban lawns (3000 sq. ft. - 5000 sq.
      > ft.). It doesn't really have enough power to do a 1/4 acre (can run
      > continuously for about 30 minutes, so if you jog while mowing, you might
      > be able to get it done). No nasty oil/gas mixture or gas can in the
      > garage, no nasty emissions, and runs very quietly.
      >
      > One nice feature is that the batteries are a gelatinized media, so you
      > can hang the entire mower vertically on the wall if you wanted to (try
      > doing that with a gas mower!).
      >
      > Overall satisfaction of about an 8.....I subscribe to GEXA Wind energy
      > plan, and I can proudly claim to have a wind-powered lawn mower....Now
      > THAT is cool. Next step is self-generated solar, and I'll keep y'all
      > posted on that.

    • T L J
      Message 2 of 12 , May 5, 2008
        The Black&Decker model I have (CMM1000 19" Mulching 24V Cordless Mower) has sufficient power to maintain a lawn.  I wouldn't say it's a brush hog...just too much torque required, but if you mow weekly, it does a great job.  If you let your yard go, you can do the front yard one day, and the back yard the next.  Also, it adjusts with a single lever from golf course height (very low), to Sloppy St. Augustine Height (coarse mulch)....6 settings.  So, you could do the high setting on one day, and then do a lower setting the next. The mower is good with either mulch setup or rear bagger, and either are really easy to use.

        Also, works better when the grass is dry, so mow in the evening rather than the morning, and mow a couple of days after a rain.

        It'll recharge to usable status (say 70% capacity) overnight, and full recharge in 24 hours (trickle charge mode).  Since my model is older, it's likely that they've upgraded the charge controller (mine was actually recalled, and I've had it replaced 2 yrs ago).....often I'll just give it a bump charge by unplugging it for a few hours, then replugging it to get more charge.

        All this talk is making me want to get out there and mow!  (Yes, mowing is almost a fun exercise with this machine!).

        T L J wrote:
        > The mower uses deep-discharge lead-acid batteries in the design, and I
        > had to replace them once about a year ago (so about a 3 year lifespan -
        > cost for after-market batteries was about $70).  Performance-wise, it's
        > perfect for most in-city or suburban lawns (3000 sq. ft. - 5000 sq.
        > ft.).  It doesn't really have enough power to do a 1/4 acre (can run
        > continuously for about 30 minutes, so if you jog while mowing, you might
        > be able to get
        it done).  No nasty oil/gas mixture or gas can in the
        > garage, no nasty emissions, and runs very quietly.
        >
        > One nice feature is that the batteries are a gelatinized media, so you
        > can hang the entire mower vertically on the wall if you wanted to (try
        > doing that with a gas mower!).
        >
        > Overall satisfaction of about an 8.....I subscribe to GEXA Wind energy
        > plan, and I can proudly claim to have a wind-powered lawn mower....Now
        > THAT is cool.  Next step is self-generated solar, and I'll keep y'all
        > posted on that.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:hreg-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:hreg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Steven Shepard
        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2008
          I mowed a lady friend's yard with one of these mowers.
          It was my first exposure to the product. Very quiet.
          Kind of hard to push. Especially if the lawn is not
          kept trim. Larger wheels would help. Seems like a
          natural fit for a solar module.

          Steve

          Getting better all the time!

          Steven Shepard