Re: [hreg] Fwd: The Price of GAS

  • William & Cynthia Stange
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2008
      Dear Maria,
                       First and foremost there is not a shortage of fuel in our country just greed. Maybe in Iran they raised prices and capped amounts that could be purchased but not here, it's just plain ol' Capitalism.
      It's the same greed that wall street uses to make "bank" on the backs of all of us, it's the same greed that would rather see truckers spending 50% of their profits  put back into their own fuels and drive the price of our food through the roof. Generally our food we get at the grocery( produce) comes from 900 miles away, that's a lot of diesel. It is the same greed that thinks that coal generation is a good idea or that a 14 lane freeway will make traffic go away. It is the political incorrectness and greed that says we need to make biofuels from food grains, make it profitable enough to make American farmers and farmers abroad stop planting what they are good at and grow corn/soy which furthers that same greed. It is the same backass-wards attempt for the president to tell us HE offered the Congress a way to  "get more energy to our people" was to drill for MORE oil in ANWAR, the west coast and the Gulf. More oil just means more profits for the "deciders" of our country. Until a gallon of fuel is 10 dollars a gallon, the trucking industry will be crushed, food will be outrageous, even big agrifarms will be reeling under the stress of expensive fertilizers. I have not heard of the "Ethos" yet, I will look into it though.
      Europe is so far ahead of the US it's not funny. Bringing small trucks into their cities on flatbed electric rail cars, then offloading doing(trucks) their rounds and taken back out of the city sounds pretty progressive to me. Nanosolar as its been on this group I think is a wonderful idea of Municipal solar. Edges of the city, edges of suburban areas of metro Houston linked to solar systems. Now we have to wrestle with utility giants that have become deregulated - more greed. I will say it again, that we need collectively to demand that Congress remove the 1.8 billion $ subsidy that oil companies receive ( in case the bottom falls out of their product) and use it to streamline and assist hybrid technologies and mainline renewable starting with the genaral public.

      "Biofuels are another new demand on grain stocks, and a potentially insatiable one. The grain used to fill an SUV tank with ethanol could feed one person for a year."

      " Every house should be over-producing its energy and selling to the grid. We have built entire villages that do that – where one or two buildings hold the solar panels for all sixty homes and sell the surplus to the grid. In seven years, you can pay off all your expenses and run free. They use this same idea in Denmark. Every village there has a windmill that can fuel up to 800 homes." - Bill Mollison, Permaculture founder

       It's going to have to hurt everyone to change this course we're on, it's going to make us look at ourselves and decide whether it is better to look good/powerful/wasteful or make a ethical/moral decision to have a life than CAN be sustained on this planet. For our childrens sake I pray it's the latter. Power through grassroots, changing one persons mind at a time.

        If we do not pay attention to companies like Phoenix Motorcars, Tesla and our own homegrown mechanics who have been building their own EV's and Frybrids we will all be driving BYP cars. Chinese-built hybrids, probably the only things we could afford if things progress like this.

      Bill S.

      Maria Esselborn <newboxerme@...> wrote:

      Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the game.

    • Dans1@PDQ.NET
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2008

        A few years ago there was an effort under way to build a High Speed Passenger rail system here in texas.  It was to be built by TGV or TVG and run from Downtown Houston to Downtown Dallas, and the eventually also run to Austin and San Antiono.  The preliminary design and route plans had been completed and were presented to DOT for review.  However before the review was completed Southwest Airlines put it's lobby power to work and had the project killed, clamining that it would have impacted it's business by taking passangers away from them.  When at the same time a study by the FAA showed that Southwest Airlines could not handle the increase in passenger traffice that was predicited for the future.    Remember when Metro tried to start rail service here in Houston some 30 years ago and it never went anywhere.  That was a result of the metro board being mostly Auto Dealership owners at the time and wanted to supply busses to the city.  So the several workable plans including a Monorail system to be built by WEB Corp. based on the Disney Monorail system were killed even before they could see the light of day.  I was on one of the committees for developing rail plans at that time and was working on the Monorail system.  But like most of our local and federal governments, they are not looking to the future to solve problems, but only to what they can do right now.

        If they had gone with the rail system back then, we would not have near the traffic problems we have now.  So unless there is a major change in the way out local gov thinks or State gov thinks, then the likelyhood of a high speed rail system ever being built, will be nill.

        It just the same onld thing,  the politicians only do wants good for them and the business that pad thier pockets and campaigns, and not's whats good for the masses, otherwise they would not have caved under Southwests lobbying.

        Maybe though there might be hope with the ever increasing price in Gas and Aircraft fuel, that time might have come to get something like that built.  Lets all hope.

        On Thu 08/05/ 1 17:51 , Maria Esselborn sent:

        It is a bit unsettling to see prices going up and unlike some countries we don't riot with a 20 cent increase.  I think it is Iran that raised prices and then put a cap on the amount of gasoline that can be purchased based on the necessity of use per person.

        I see this as an opportunity to promote other alternatives.  I just read about esther additive "Ethos" which is sold by distributors which is supposed to cut your gas usage by 7-19% and make the exhaust CO free.  Has anyone tried this yet?  I'm thinking about it.

        Also, suburbs really need to start having buses.  I live in The Woodlands where they now have a trolley.

        Back in the day, electric cars were all the rage until the combustion engine with the electric starter was invented.  When OPEC made gas prices affordable, we ditched electric to avoid wiring for electric public transportation.

        I understand that Texas is a big state, but what about trains like those used in France?  Has anyone thought that instead of spending so much on the war that it could be converted to construction of mass transportation like those "bullet trains" in Europe?

        Technology is science and engineering combined.  It contributes to society, and we should be aware of the innovations available so we don't have to worry about getting gasoline from Dubai or Iraq.  Let's be the modern nation that we think we are.

        From: phil6142@aol. com
        Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:07:26 -0400

        Gas is Cheap, atleast the price at the pump.  That is how they keep us hooked.  Of course there are lots of external costs; pollution, climate change, etc.  But we don't have to pay those at the pump and that is why it is hard for many people to understand why renewable energy is so important.  If we had to pay $10/gallon for gas then it would not be long before we were powering our cars from some other source.  Like one of the many "more expensive" renewable technologies.

        Phillip

        From:Christina Rivera
        To:Caridad Garcia ; CARLOS ALBERTO RIVERA ; Carlos Collazo ; Celialina Arocho ; CREEPY ; Daniel Gonzalez ; Danielle Pini-Bailey ; Diana Arenas ; Estela M Estrada ; Evelyn Sardina ; Fernando Garcia ; Helen Hernandez ; JACKIE TEDESCO ; Lorraine Sanchez ; Milly Santiago ; Nilda Serra ; Samanta Arenas ; STACEY-ANN SMITH ; Will Collazo ; Zeus Vera
        Subject:The Price of GAS
        Date:Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:57:35 -0700 (PDT)

        From:joyce hachar
        To:aidarivas@msn. com; Ana Maria Amorós de Freitas ; Annabella Freitas ; Francis hernandez ; Ivette Almaguer ; joyce haddad ; joyce haddad ; Mara Duarte ; maria oliva ; maria reixach ; marisela saliba ; merche monjer ; Miriam Hotz ; pierre@verucci. com; Susy Haddad ; valentina monessati ; Yolanda (CCL) Poore ; Christina Rivera ; Dolores Bolano ; ffrrmiami@hotmail. com ; joyce@verucci. com ; muna haddad ; susette osorio
        Subject:FW: The Price of GAS
        Date:Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:17:19 -0400

        From: rmoreno@remlearning center.com
        To: rmoreno@remlearning center.com
        Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:49:11 -0400

        Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:35:15 +0000
        This is WILD - - be sure to read the entire thing!!

        The price of Gas versus Printer Ink

        Blocked image
        All these examples do NOT imply that gasoline is cheap; it just illustrates how outrageous some prices are....

        You will be really shocked by the last one!
        (At least, I was...)

        Blocked imageCompared with Gasoline ......

        Blocked imageThink a gallon of gas is expensive?

        Blocked image

        This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.

        Blocked imageDiet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ... $10.32 per gallon

        Blocked imageLipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ..........$9. 52 per gallon

        Blocked imageGatorade 20 oz $1.59 ..... $10.17 per gallon

        Blocked imageOcean Spray 16 oz $1.25 ......... $10.00 per gallon

        Blocked imageBrake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ...... $33.60 per gallon

        Blocked imageVick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ... $178.13 per gallon

        Blocked imagePepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 .. $123.20 per gallon

        Blocked imageWhiteout 7 oz $1.39 ....... . $25.42 per gallon

        Blocked imageScope 1.5 oz $0.99 ......$84.48 per gallon

        And this is the REAL KICKER...

        Evian water 9 oz $1.49..$21.19 per gallon! $21.19 for WATER and the buyers don't even know the source

        (Evian spelled backwards is Naive..)

        Ever wonder why pr inters are so cheap?

        So they have you hooked for the ink.
        Someone calculated the cost of the ink at.......... .....
        (you won't believe it....but it is true........ )
        $5,200 a gal. (five thousand two hundred dollars)

        So, the next time you're at
        the pump,be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, or Whiteout, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!
        Blocked image

        Just a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...

        And - If you don't pass this along to at least one person,
        your muffler will fall off!!

        Okay, your muffl er won't really fall off...but, you might run out of toilet paper

        Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the game.

        Msg sent via Internet America Webmail - www.internetamerica.com
      • Kathleen Carrier
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2008

          I think Europeans have a drastically different attitude (my mother is Norwegian).

          For them – what is good for the community is good for the individual.  They have a much, much longer historical memory – they live in cities that are much older than ours. A different perspective.   In the US – it’s “what is good for me is good for me”.  We still live with the idea of manifest destiny, an idea which made the US great in the first place.  Only it’s such a basic underlying concept to our culture, I think we no longer see it for what it is.  We can not expand and grow indefinitely, and expect the resources, including energy, to always be there in the form we have it today.  Global Warming aside, this seems to be a fact that is hard to argue with.

          A good book:  Blessed Unrest   http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-0135597-2388166?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Blessed+Unrest  It’s about the power of grassroots organizations.  And HREG is a part of that. J

          Kathleen

[...]

          Maria Esselborn <newboxerme@yahoo. com> wrote:

          Plan your next roadtrip with MapQuest.com: America 's #1 Mapping Site.

          Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the game.

        • Stephanie Edwards-Musa
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2008
            Kathleen,  that is so well stated...it needs to be published as a quote somewhere.

            Stephanie Edwards-Musa
            Realtor®, Certified EcoBroker®
            Coldwell Banker United, Realtors®
            1500 Research Forest #200