RE: [hreg] Re: FW: THE AIR CAR

  • Michael Ewert
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008

      It is intriguing.  Batteries have a round trip efficiency of around 80%.  I searched for air compressor efficiency for a while but only came up with the statements “round trip efficiency is expected to be 70%” and “One manufacturer claims to have designed an engine that is 90 percent efficient” from Wikepedia.  I don’t think today’s systems are that high, but I like the simplicity and light weight potential of the air car.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air_energy_storage

      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2008

        On checking out the air car, I came across

                        http://www.engineair.com.au/airmotor.htm

        If this technology is real and would ever be put in the public domain, it could put a real dent in gas driven vehicles.

        Fewer moving parts

        No friction engine

        Very light

        Tires would last much longer due to less weight

        So need for transmission

        Could be use in lawn mowers, weed eaters, ..

        Wonder if this will be vapor ware or actually hit the market place.

      • Ed Sarlls
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2008
          Here is some more information on "air motors",

          Note that there are inefficiencies in the original power generation and transmission and air compression. The stated almost 100% efficiency for air motor omits most of the system between the original fuel source and the air motor.

          I'm not saying that they are not good but that they are not as good as the salesman claims.

          Cheers,
          Ed Sarlls