Re: Response to your article: "Homebuyers Take Shine To Solar Power," Houston Chronicle, Saturday, March 22, 2008

  • Bashir Syed
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2008
      Dear Purva Patel:
      Thanks for your call today. As I had mentioned a lot of people interested in installing Solar PV Systems ans Domestic Hot Water Solar Collectors are facing a hinderance from the Home Owners Associations due to "Deed Restrictions, " an we are not free to install such systems. Personally I requested it verbally from the Manager of Clear Lake Community Association for such a permission to install Solar PV Modules on the roof of House (front facing South), but was told that I could put them on the North Side but not on the Front (South Facing) until the Board meets to discuss this. Till this day I have not heard any response from the CLC Community Association. During Green Expo (in which we had a booth for our company, Alt_energyTech, adjacent to Houston Renenewable Energy Group's (HREG) booth. Many visitors infomed us that they faced the same dilemma. I have already brought this to the attention of not only Congressman Nick Lampson, but others on his Energy Committee, and had a sympathetic resonance with their thoughts. But it is different story to deal with State Legislators or County or City of Houston or Local Home Owners Associations. It is therefore, requested that HREG members and others effected by such non-sensical rules join their hands in letting Purva know to use her journalisc ability from the pulpit of Houston Chronicle to remove this hurdle for all of us so that we can install Solar Systems not only to save money but also to do our part in reducing the Carbon emissions that affect our Climate as well. I am, therefore, introducing you to Michael Ewert, Presidfent of HREG to interact with you as one voice collecting the complaints from other folks who are also hindred in this effort. I will send you a separate e-mail regarding our meeting on Monday, May 5, 2008, about time and place.
      Best regards,

      Bashir A. Syed
      Retired Aerospace Physicist
      Member: APS, IEEE, UCS, ASES, and New York Academy of Sciences
      Senior Member International Solar Energy Society
      VP, Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
      Houston, TX 77058
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2008
        Dear Purva Patel:
        Greetings! I did circulate  the information within our Houston Renewable Energy Group, and told them to communicate with you about the Home Owner's Association barrier against us to install Solar PV or Heating Systems on the roof tops (Facing South) and perhaps you might have received some feedback from our members. I had told you to meet on Monday , May 5, 2008 (tomorrow on Hillcroft at Bejan Iranian Restauarant - close to 59-S) around lunch time to discuss more on this matter. If possible please let me know if you want to meet through my Cell Phone # 713-560-6668. Hoping to hear from you, and with best regards,

        Bashir A. Syed
        Vice President, R&D

        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2008
          http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90180158

          But, the United Arab Emirates is an oil-rich nation containing approximately 10 percent of the world's oil reserves. So why is Abu Dhabi doing this?
          "The answer is simple," says Sultan Al Jaber, CEO of Abu Dhabi Future Energy Co., the developers planning the city. "There are two reasons. Number one, because we can. Number two, because we should. And because this is a logical step and a natural extension for our involvement in the energy markets."

        • Gary Beck
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2008

            I also heard this this morning on NPR.  Solar provided energy will obviously be a highlighted item so I would expect the city to be all electric.  Programable solar powered POD cars were already mentioned.

            This made me think about horsepower versus available solar energy. Does one of our solar experts have a conversion for solar energy to horsepower? How many sf of car roof in the desert does it take to make a continuous HP?

            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2008

              NEWS FLASH (4/28/08)

              Hybrid / ORA Architects of Seattle (with Eco-Holdings engineering) was announced as Houston's "The99kHouse.com" design contest winner.

              The ORA-Hybrid design team submitted their final design which included ECO's engineering detailed designs and specifications for the home's foundation and frame. ECO's five blueprint pages enhanced ORA-Hybrid's design and construction documentation package to help them win the 250+ entry low income green home design competition. The contest was sponsored by Rice University, The City of Houston, and the American Institute of Architects.

              For more information on the contest visit www.the99khouse.com. Also see the winning design at our webpage- http://www.eco-holdings.com/26619/52119.html

              FYI, you will find no mention of ECOs involvement as the Engineering design partner in this AIA sponsored contest so you will have to take my word for it, or contact Owen Richards of Owen Richard Architects part of the Hybrid/ORA team in Seattle.

              Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

              Engineering and Green Consulting Services

              Eco-Holdings  4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Ste 114  Houston, TX 77025

              Tel: 713-377-4209       Fax: 832-201-5338      www.ecoegr.com

              Engineering Services: Inspection of Foundation and Framing Systems;

              Residential, Retail, Commercial, Lodging, Educational, & Governmental

              Design Documents (Blue Prints) Energy Consulting, Low Energy Design

              ECO,...Where Sustainability Is Designed

            • Bashir Syed
              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2008
                From Sun we receive on the surface of earth ~ 1000 Watt per Square- Meter (incident perpendicular on this area)
                From Power Equivalence conversion factors: 1 Horse-Power  = 746 Watt of Power
                Considering 16 percent efficiency of Poly-Silicon Solar Cells (sold in the market): these cells convert light of 1000 Watt/sq.meter of Photons into 160-Watts of Electrical Power/sq. meter of Solar Cell area (for Peak-SUN conditions). this leads us to 1-hp --> 4.6625 sq. meter area of solar cells (or PV Modules).
                Looking at typical PV Module, for example Mitsubishi Model PV-MF 18 UDA4 (185 Watt ) dimensions are :
                Length = 1.658  meter
                Width = 0.834 meter
                Area of this Module = 1.658 x 0.834 = 1.3828 sq. meter
                To produce 1 hp one needs 4.6625 sq. meter area, therefore, we will need (4,6635/1.3828) = 3.372 modules ~ 4 such modules to produce 1 hp electrical power.

                I hope this serves as anser to your question.

                Bashir A. Syed

[...]

                ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------

              • Lunce

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 5, 2008

                    I was betting who would answer first and I thought it might be you – Thanks!

                    So this also says that about 4.6 meter or about 46 sq.ft. is need for each continuous horsepower.  A typical 7’x14’ compact car surface, if flat and always perpendicular to the sun, would yield about 2 HP continuous.

                    If you always park it in the sun and use it for 5% of the time you could charge batteries to provide equivalent of 40 HP.  But at a one person POD is more like 10 sf or 1 sq meter or 1/5 hp continuous or at 5% use about 2HP.

                    Without AC this would be okay for an open-air mini golf cart or maybe a Segway like POD with a solar shade panel overhead panel.

                    I want one. Bashir when do you start production?

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 5, 2008
                      Purva Patel (Houston Chronicle):
                      It was pleasure to meet you and discuss the hinderances caused by Home Owners Association, not only prevalent in Clear Lake City, but also in many others as well, which we leaned during the Town Hall Meeetings with Congressman Nick Lampson and during the Green Expo through  many visitors.

                      The name of General Manager of Clear Lake City Community Association, Inc. (16511 Diana Ln.  Houston, TX 77062) is Jim Keith, and his Phone Number is: (281) 488-0360.
                      E-mail: clcca@...
                      I live in "Meadow Green, subdivision."

                      It's almost a year when I visited his office to discuss placing Solar PV Modules and Solar Attic Fan on the rooftop of my home facing South. My home faces South, but I was suggested to put them on the North Side. This defeats the purpose and decreases the ffficiency of the system. I have travelled in Europe, China and other States in U.S., and not found such Deed Restrictions that make absolutely no sense. As you might know a recent case in California, where a neighbor was ordered to chop off his tall trees that were depriving the owner of a home next door of SUN-LIGHT to get full efficiency from his Solar PV System. The court said, "The neighbor had a right to receive Sun-Light, and ordered the trees chopped from the top so that his neighbor could utilize the LIGHT as his right.
                      Bashir A. Syed
                      Vice President, R&D
                      Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
                      1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
                      Houston, TX 77058.
                      Bus. Tel: 281-333-9889/Fax: 281-561-1150
                      Cell: 713-560-6668
                      It was nice meeting you. Just wanted to send a note reminding you to please send me the name and number of the head of your HOA. Thank you!

                      -Purva