RE: [hreg] solar powered lawn mower

  • Steven Deterling
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2008
      Check out cleanairgardening.com for various non-polluting garden tools.

      That's where I got my push-mower.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2008

        All,

        About 11 years ago, my friend and co-worker at SWPV, Justus Baird, started a company in Houston called Clean Air Lawn Care.  His logo was a leaf blower with a circle around, and slash through, it.  He was a bit before his time.  He left the solar industry, then went on to work/volunteer for the C.E.C. and is now a Rabbi.

        However, not too long ago, I saw a truck in Austin with the same company name on it.

        http://www.cleanairlawncare.com/

        Franchises, for Houston, are available,

        Andrew H. Mc Calla

        President

        Meridian Energy Systems, Inc. (TECL: 24461)

        2300 S. Lamar Blvd., Ste. 107

        Austin, Texas 78704

        Tel: (512) 448-0055

        Fax: (512) 448-0045

        andrew@...

        www.meridiansolar.com

        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2008
          Moreover, the tremendous vibration is ultimately harmful for the Spinal Chord as well as upper torso (for those who do this to earn a living).

          Bashir A. Syed

[...]

          -.-  -..  .....  -.-.  ..-.  --

          Bruce Pullig
          bruce@pullig. com

          http://www.pullig. com

          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2008
            How tall can you let your grass get and still be able to cut it? If you
            go on vacation for a few weeks, and the grass grows in, will it cut foot
            tall grass? 2 feet tall? My gas mower will, so I am wondering.

            I never have time to run the mower more than 1/2 an hour at a time
            anyway, so run time wouldn't be a problem. What is the re-charge time?

            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

            T L J wrote:
            > The mower uses deep-discharge lead-acid batteries in the design, and I
            > had to replace them once about a year ago (so about a 3 year lifespan -
            > cost for after-market batteries was about $70). Performance-wise, it's
            > perfect for most in-city or suburban lawns (3000 sq. ft. - 5000 sq.
            > ft.). It doesn't really have enough power to do a 1/4 acre (can run
            > continuously for about 30 minutes, so if you jog while mowing, you might
            > be able to get it done). No nasty oil/gas mixture or gas can in the
            > garage, no nasty emissions, and runs very quietly.
            >
            > One nice feature is that the batteries are a gelatinized media, so you
            > can hang the entire mower vertically on the wall if you wanted to (try
            > doing that with a gas mower!).
            >
            > Overall satisfaction of about an 8.....I subscribe to GEXA Wind energy
            > plan, and I can proudly claim to have a wind-powered lawn mower....Now
            > THAT is cool. Next step is self-generated solar, and I'll keep y'all
            > posted on that.

          • T L J
            Message 5 of 12 , May 5, 2008
              The Black&Decker model I have (CMM1000 19" Mulching 24V Cordless Mower) has sufficient power to maintain a lawn.  I wouldn't say it's a brush hog...just too much torque required, but if you mow weekly, it does a great job.  If you let your yard go, you can do the front yard one day, and the back yard the next.  Also, it adjusts with a single lever from golf course height (very low), to Sloppy St. Augustine Height (coarse mulch)....6 settings.  So, you could do the high setting on one day, and then do a lower setting the next. The mower is good with either mulch setup or rear bagger, and either are really easy to use.

              Also, works better when the grass is dry, so mow in the evening rather than the morning, and mow a couple of days after a rain.

              It'll recharge to usable status (say 70% capacity) overnight, and full recharge in 24 hours (trickle charge mode).  Since my model is older, it's likely that they've upgraded the charge controller (mine was actually recalled, and I've had it replaced 2 yrs ago).....often I'll just give it a bump charge by unplugging it for a few hours, then replugging it to get more charge.

              All this talk is making me want to get out there and mow!  (Yes, mowing is almost a fun exercise with this machine!).

              T L J wrote:
              > The mower uses deep-discharge lead-acid batteries in the design, and I
              > had to replace them once about a year ago (so about a 3 year lifespan -
              > cost for after-market batteries was about $70).  Performance-wise, it's
              > perfect for most in-city or suburban lawns (3000 sq. ft. - 5000 sq.
              > ft.).  It doesn't really have enough power to do a 1/4 acre (can run
              > continuously for about 30 minutes, so if you jog while mowing, you might
              > be able to get
              it done).  No nasty oil/gas mixture or gas can in the
              > garage, no nasty emissions, and runs very quietly.
              >
              > One nice feature is that the batteries are a gelatinized media, so you
              > can hang the entire mower vertically on the wall if you wanted to (try
              > doing that with a gas mower!).
              >
              > Overall satisfaction of about an 8.....I subscribe to GEXA Wind energy
              > plan, and I can proudly claim to have a wind-powered lawn mower....Now
              > THAT is cool.  Next step is self-generated solar, and I'll keep y'all
              > posted on that.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:hreg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:hreg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Steven Shepard
              Message 6 of 12 , May 5, 2008
                I mowed a lady friend's yard with one of these mowers.
                It was my first exposure to the product. Very quiet.
                Kind of hard to push. Especially if the lawn is not
                kept trim. Larger wheels would help. Seems like a
                natural fit for a solar module.

                Steve

                Getting better all the time!

                Steven Shepard