RE: [hreg] solar powered lawn mower

  • Gary Beck
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2008

      Chiming in…

      Gas power yard tools really bug me. I use them but they bug me.  It really bugs me to see a 4 hp backpack blower used to push 6 leaves across a whole yard. Can you say LOUD & POLUTING (& wasteful)? Can you say rake?

      I am slowly converting to electric - either line powered or rechargeable. For rechargeable If anyone is in the market, use your wallet to support what I think is a green effort and take the time to check out the Ryobi One+ 18V system.

      I have been a Ryobi tool fan for many years. They came out with an 18V multi use system 3 or 4 years ago. They have several saws and drills, light, compressor, radio, and a really cool portable fan, etc. Now they are adding all sorts of yard tools that work with the same batteries.  When my gas weed eater died a month ago, rather than spend to fix it I bought a Ryobi One+ weed eater for $39. It works great – quiet and strong.  They also have a blower, a branch trimmer…

      Ryobi proved to me that they are really thinking green when they added their high end Lithium battery line. They could have done what every other mfr has done and make their new product’s system incompatible with the ‘old’ NMH system in order to sell more new plastic – but Ryobi did not do that.  The LI is backwards compatible with the NMH – all connections are the same.

      You can bet that some Japanese engineer put his career on the line for that ‘green’ decision. By doing this they kept a zillion batteries and about another zillion pounds of old tool plastic out of the landfill.  It was the right decision that will gain market share as a result.  I’m ready to buy my Ryobi urban wind turbine, Ryobi electric bike, Ryobi solar charger…

      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2008

        Gary – they bug me too. . . I am waiting for the day when a “green” lawn care company opens, with a truck with solar panels on the roof, and guys who don’t mind pushing an old fashioned reel lawn mower. .

        K.

[...]

        -.-  -..  .....  -.-.  ..-.  --

        Bruce Pullig
        bruce@pullig. com

        http://www.pullig. com

        Just a 24V battery powered Black&Decker lawnmower with a solar panel wired directly into it.

        Better off buying the lawnmower (less than $450), and recharging with a stand-alone panel.

        Great lawnmower, though.  I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now.

        There’s also an USGBC ad/article with “45 ways to Green the Not-So-New House”.

        Kathleen

        This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited."

      • Steven Deterling
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2008
          Check out cleanairgardening.com for various non-polluting garden tools.

          That's where I got my push-mower.

          Steve

          >Gary – they bug me too. . . I am waiting for the day when a “green” lawn care
          >company opens, with a truck with solar panels on the roof, and guys who don’t
          >mind pushing an old fashioned reel lawn mower. .
          >
          >K.

          http://toolbar.Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).
          http://www.Care2.com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 8 million members!
        • Andrew McCalla
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2008

            All,

            About 11 years ago, my friend and co-worker at SWPV, Justus Baird, started a company in Houston called Clean Air Lawn Care.  His logo was a leaf blower with a circle around, and slash through, it.  He was a bit before his time.  He left the solar industry, then went on to work/volunteer for the C.E.C. and is now a Rabbi.

            However, not too long ago, I saw a truck in Austin with the same company name on it.

            http://www.cleanairlawncare.com/

            Franchises, for Houston, are available,

            Andrew H. Mc Calla

            President

            Meridian Energy Systems, Inc. (TECL: 24461)

            2300 S. Lamar Blvd., Ste. 107

            Austin, Texas 78704

            Tel: (512) 448-0055

            Fax: (512) 448-0045

            andrew@...

            www.meridiansolar.com

[...]

          • Bashir Syed
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2008
              Moreover, the tremendous vibration is ultimately harmful for the Spinal Chord as well as upper torso (for those who do this to earn a living).

              Bashir A. Syed

[...]

            • Garth & Kim Travis
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                How tall can you let your grass get and still be able to cut it? If you
                go on vacation for a few weeks, and the grass grows in, will it cut foot
                tall grass? 2 feet tall? My gas mower will, so I am wondering.

                I never have time to run the mower more than 1/2 an hour at a time
                anyway, so run time wouldn't be a problem. What is the re-charge time?

                Bright Blessings,
                Kim

                T L J wrote:
                > The mower uses deep-discharge lead-acid batteries in the design, and I
                > had to replace them once about a year ago (so about a 3 year lifespan -
                > cost for after-market batteries was about $70). Performance-wise, it's
                > perfect for most in-city or suburban lawns (3000 sq. ft. - 5000 sq.
                > ft.). It doesn't really have enough power to do a 1/4 acre (can run
                > continuously for about 30 minutes, so if you jog while mowing, you might
                > be able to get it done). No nasty oil/gas mixture or gas can in the
                > garage, no nasty emissions, and runs very quietly.
                >
                > One nice feature is that the batteries are a gelatinized media, so you
                > can hang the entire mower vertically on the wall if you wanted to (try
                > doing that with a gas mower!).
                >
                > Overall satisfaction of about an 8.....I subscribe to GEXA Wind energy
                > plan, and I can proudly claim to have a wind-powered lawn mower....Now
                > THAT is cool. Next step is self-generated solar, and I'll keep y'all
                > posted on that.

              • T L J
                Message 7 of 12 , May 5, 2008
                  The Black&Decker model I have (CMM1000 19" Mulching 24V Cordless Mower) has sufficient power to maintain a lawn.  I wouldn't say it's a brush hog...just too much torque required, but if you mow weekly, it does a great job.  If you let your yard go, you can do the front yard one day, and the back yard the next.  Also, it adjusts with a single lever from golf course height (very low), to Sloppy St. Augustine Height (coarse mulch)....6 settings.  So, you could do the high setting on one day, and then do a lower setting the next. The mower is good with either mulch setup or rear bagger, and either are really easy to use.

                  Also, works better when the grass is dry, so mow in the evening rather than the morning, and mow a couple of days after a rain.

                  It'll recharge to usable status (say 70% capacity) overnight, and full recharge in 24 hours (trickle charge mode).  Since my model is older, it's likely that they've upgraded the charge controller (mine was actually recalled, and I've had it replaced 2 yrs ago).....often I'll just give it a bump charge by unplugging it for a few hours, then replugging it to get more charge.

                  All this talk is making me want to get out there and mow!  (Yes, mowing is almost a fun exercise with this machine!).

                  T L J wrote:
                  > The mower uses deep-discharge lead-acid batteries in the design, and I
                  > had to replace them once about a year ago (so about a 3 year lifespan -
                  > cost for after-market batteries was about $70).  Performance-wise, it's
                  > perfect for most in-city or suburban lawns (3000 sq. ft. - 5000 sq.
                  > ft.).  It doesn't really have enough power to do a 1/4 acre (can run
                  > continuously for about 30 minutes, so if you jog while mowing, you might
                  > be able to get
                  it done).  No nasty oil/gas mixture or gas can in the
                  > garage, no nasty emissions, and runs very quietly.
                  >
                  > One nice feature is that the batteries are a gelatinized media, so you
                  > can hang the entire mower vertically on the wall if you wanted to (try
                  > doing that with a gas mower!).
                  >
                  > Overall satisfaction of about an 8.....I subscribe to GEXA Wind energy
                  > plan, and I can proudly claim to have a wind-powered lawn mower....Now
                  > THAT is cool.  Next step is self-generated solar, and I'll keep y'all
                  > posted on that.

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto:hreg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      mailto:hreg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Steven Shepard
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2008
                    I mowed a lady friend's yard with one of these mowers.
                    It was my first exposure to the product. Very quiet.
                    Kind of hard to push. Especially if the lawn is not
                    kept trim. Larger wheels would help. Seems like a
                    natural fit for a solar module.

                    Steve

                    Getting better all the time!

                    Steven Shepard