biobased insulation?

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 6:31 AM
      As our Houston heat draws near and if Mr. Bush indeed lets the economic
      stimulus package out, my windows will be finished being purchased. Some
      of the items included will be removing old sheetrock on exterior walls
      (inside) and re-insulating. Sheetrock is relatively inexpensive (labor
      being my wife and I)and this gives instant access to the interior of my
      walls. I still have aluminum wiring that will be replaced ($$) and
      recycled, also basic plumbing inspections and sealing wall from outside
      air penetration plus bugs and the lot. Has anyone used this product?
      Will I need to integrate an outside air intake to offset making my home
      tighter? I am also looking at a rooftop exhaust fan (small as I can get
      away with) to pull air when cooking. The "energystar" oven appliance of
      ours has a ridiculous convection feature that exhausts oven heat into
      my home when finished cooking!! What type of engineer would think this
      is acceptable? Basically when done with cooking (unless using grill)the
      added BTU's will be taken out of conditioned air. Same with laundry
      areas. Any information out there,green builders?
      Bill
      http://www.biobased.net/index.php
    • Garth & Kim Travis
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 8:29 AM

        This is why HREG was started. All the energy efficient stuff was
        designed for those who live in cool climates who want the heat gain.
        Rather left those of us in the south out of the equation.

        When I first bought my maytag fridge, it drove me nuts. The temperature
        in my kitchen went way up. It may have used less energy, but it caused
        my AC to have to work much harder. My other fridge when replaced was a
        cheap roper, works much better. [Yes, I use 2.]

        We did try putting the laundry in a closed room with a fan vented to the
        outside. It helped some, not enough to justify the construction costs.
        Now, I use a clothes line whenever it is warm/dry enough so I never
        have any problems. When I do run the dryer, I want the extra heat in
        the house.

        Since we moved to the south 15 years ago, I have had an outdoor kitchen
        for cooking in the summer. This is the best investment I have made for
        a cooler house.

        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

        William wrote:
        > The "energystar" oven appliance of
        > ours has a ridiculous convection feature that exhausts oven heat into
        > my home when finished cooking!! What type of engineer would think this
        > is acceptable? Basically when done with cooking (unless using grill)the
        > added BTU's will be taken out of conditioned air. Same with laundry
        > areas. Any information out there,green builders?
        > Bill

      • Shafer, Mark B
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 8:30 AM

          I have not found any energystar ovens are stoves.  What brand is your "energystar" oven appliance.