Re: [hreg] Re: FW: THE AIR CAR

  • Bashir Syed
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      Then it must be using Sterling Engine in this machine!
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        I think that you are right. There are several videos on youtube. They have the same limitations as pure electric except recharge time is much shorter at a compressed air station. The hybred versions use some fuel to extend range.

        An energy source is still required to compress the air to recharge the air tank. Back to the old law of "there is no such thing as a free lunch".

        I does present an interesting alternative to storage batteries.

        Ed Sarlls

        --
        Rachel Bryant
        (c) 713-705-6584

      • J P Malone
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2008

          I will defer to your expertise, but I was of the impression that a Stirling Engine worked on a heating & cooling of a sealed chamber, with the piston being driven by the changing in temperature of the gas.

          In this case there does not appear to be a heat exchange, that I am aware of.

          Only the pressure of the compressed air pushes down on alternate pistons.  Similar to when gasoline combusts to push a piston down.

          On 4/30/08, streamline.rm <streamline@...> wrote:

          Seems to me whenever someone says "perpetual motion", it's usually B.S.

          --
          Rachel Bryant
          (c) 713-705-6584
          RachelB82@...

          Checked by AVG.

          Checked by AVG.

          Checked by AVG.

        • Michael Ewert
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2008

            It is intriguing.  Batteries have a round trip efficiency of around 80%.  I searched for air compressor efficiency for a while but only came up with the statements “round trip efficiency is expected to be 70%” and “One manufacturer claims to have designed an engine that is 90 percent efficient” from Wikepedia.  I don’t think today’s systems are that high, but I like the simplicity and light weight potential of the air car.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air_energy_storage

            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2008

              On checking out the air car, I came across

                              http://www.engineair.com.au/airmotor.htm

              If this technology is real and would ever be put in the public domain, it could put a real dent in gas driven vehicles.

              Fewer moving parts

              No friction engine

              Very light

              Tires would last much longer due to less weight

              So need for transmission

              Could be use in lawn mowers, weed eaters, ..

              Wonder if this will be vapor ware or actually hit the market place.

            • Ed Sarlls
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                Here is some more information on "air motors",

                Note that there are inefficiencies in the original power generation and transmission and air compression. The stated almost 100% efficiency for air motor omits most of the system between the original fuel source and the air motor.

                I'm not saying that they are not good but that they are not as good as the salesman claims.

                Cheers,
                Ed Sarlls