FW: THE AIR CAR

  • J P Malone
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

      ----- Original :

      No solutions to the fuel problem?

      Thank you France, and say 'hello' to 'The Air Car':

      http://www.flixxy.com/zero-pollution-automobile.htm

      Checked by AVG.

    • Stephanie Edwards-Musa
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

        Ok, I'm sold.

        JP, thanks for sending this out.

        Mark, how about those fleet prices?   :)

        Stephanie Edwards-Musa
        Realtor®, Certified EcoBroker®
        Coldwell Banker United, Realtors®
        1500 Research Forest #200
        The Woodlands, TX 77381
        Direct:  281-635-9444
        Fax:  281-364-8602

        Thank you France, and say 'hello' to 'The Air Car':

        http://www.flixxy.com/zero-pollution-automobile.htm

        Checked by AVG.
      • streamline.rm
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
          Seems to me whenever someone says "perpetual motion", it's usually B.S.
        • Rachel Bryant
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
            I admit that the commercial for the air car leaves a lot of questions unanswered.  However, I don't think the concept is BS - in fact, as a practicing environmental engineer, I find the logistics quite intriguing.  These technologies deserve consideration - as clearly, based on the issues with the electric car, getting any car that gets us away from the "necessary addiction" to oil will take considerable persistence on the part of the general public.  Not to mention the illustrious legislators.

            A few links with more information are posted below, should you be interested.

            --
            Rachel Bryant
            (c) 713-705-6584
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

              I agree, but if you listen carefully, perpetual motionM is not a claim they are making, it is the news media's spokesman's speculation.

              I saw elsewhere some college students duplicated the concept with only $3k modifications to a Prius.

              On Wed Apr 30 11:27 , "streamline.rm" sent:

              Seems to me whenever someone says "perpetual motion", it's usually B.S.

            • Shafer, Mark B
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                If the car proves viable, perhaps an off shut of the compressed air technology could be used for energy storage in a solar application.

                Solar panels drive a compressor, compressed air drives a generator.  It would be great to eliminate heavy batteries that are a potential disposal problem.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
                  Sterling Engine uses air as fuel and nothing more. Perhaps this vehicle uses Sterling Engine technology instead INFERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE .

                  On 4/30/08, streamline.rm <streamline@rocketma il.com> wrote:

                  Seems to me whenever someone says "perpetual motion", it's usually B.S.

                  --
                  Rachel Bryant
                  (c) 713-705-6584
                  RachelB82@gmail. com

                • Michael Ewert
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2008

                    I think it just extracts the energy from the compressed air with a turbine.  I didn’t see any heat source to run a Stirling engine.

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2008

                      This may be saying the same thing in a different way.

                      In the original post video, it appeared that the pressure of the compressed air into the cylinder chambers moved the pistons up and down.  No heat or combustion, just air pressure.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                          I think that you are right. There are several videos on youtube. They have the same limitations as pure electric except recharge time is much shorter at a compressed air station. The hybred versions use some fuel to extend range.

                          An energy source is still required to compress the air to recharge the air tank. Back to the old law of "there is no such thing as a free lunch".

                          I does present an interesting alternative to storage batteries.

                          Ed Sarlls

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2008

                            I will defer to your expertise, but I was of the impression that a Stirling Engine worked on a heating & cooling of a sealed chamber, with the piston being driven by the changing in temperature of the gas.

                            In this case there does not appear to be a heat exchange, that I am aware of.

                            Only the pressure of the compressed air pushes down on alternate pistons.  Similar to when gasoline combusts to push a piston down.

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 1, 2008

                              It is intriguing.  Batteries have a round trip efficiency of around 80%.  I searched for air compressor efficiency for a while but only came up with the statements “round trip efficiency is expected to be 70%” and “One manufacturer claims to have designed an engine that is 90 percent efficient” from Wikepedia.  I don’t think today’s systems are that high, but I like the simplicity and light weight potential of the air car.

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air_energy_storage

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2008

                                On checking out the air car, I came across

                                                http://www.engineair.com.au/airmotor.htm

                                If this technology is real and would ever be put in the public domain, it could put a real dent in gas driven vehicles.

                                Fewer moving parts

                                No friction engine

                                Very light

                                Tires would last much longer due to less weight

                                So need for transmission

                                Could be use in lawn mowers, weed eaters, ..

                                Wonder if this will be vapor ware or actually hit the market place.

                              • Ed Sarlls
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                                  Here is some more information on "air motors",

                                  Note that there are inefficiencies in the original power generation and transmission and air compression. The stated almost 100% efficiency for air motor omits most of the system between the original fuel source and the air motor.

                                  I'm not saying that they are not good but that they are not as good as the salesman claims.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Ed Sarlls