Re: The Price of GAS -Let

  • ajthomann@pol.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2008
      Someone in one of the earlier lengthy, repetitious postings on this string wrote something to the effect that there is no food shortage. I disagree. The wealth of grains from the "green revolution" peaked 20 years ago. But that required massive amounts of fertilizer, water, agricultural machinery -- and the fuel to keep the pumps and harvesters going.  That's all Kaput now.

      The current corn biofuel nonsense was fully predicted, but the problem was that the White House is populated by iggoramuses who choose to believe what they choose to believe, never mind the facts or the science behind the facts -- Steve Colbert summarized it very well at the White House Press "roast" a couple of years ago..

      Folks, there is a massive and progressive planetary shortage of foods (“…world grain carryover stocks in 2008 have fallen to 55 days of world consumption, the lowest on record.”)  For starts, I refer you to any of the books by Bill McKibben (who spoke in Houston last night), Richard Heinberg, Lester Brown and other knowledgeable persons or organizations.  For starts, you might want to look at:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/documentary_archive/6500041.stm

      http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000392/index.html

      http://www.energybulletin.net/43125.html

      http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/2008/Update72.htm

      Ariel
      - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
      - All countries need NO REGRETS strategic policies regarding every non-renewable resource, including water.

    • Dan Stuettgen
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2008
        Well I have done something about the High price of gas.  I drive a 2003 GMC Sonoma Pickup with a 4 banger in it. According to the dealears ticket it was supposed to get 26 miles to the gallon.  That was a bunch of crap.  I have never got over 19 miles to the gallon on the highway from the time I drove it off the lot brand new.  I work 25 miles from where I live so I have a 50 mile round trip every day. Before we started getting raped at the gas pumps by the oil companies I used to be able to fill up the tank which is 18 gallons and drive for a whole week and it cost me between 25 and 30 dollars.   Now it costs me 60.00 to fill up the tank just to be able to drive to and from work every day.  It basically was costing me $10.00 a day just to drive to work and back now that the price is $3.55 a gallon for regular.   I filled up my Tank the other day and it Cost me 67.50  and  then I parked the Truck and that where it will sit and only be used to got to and from the Metro Station and to the market.  I am now taking the park and ride and Metro Rail to work. It costs me $4.00 less a day to take the bus and train than what it cost me to drive each day and take only 10 minutes longer for the commute.

        So until congress gets off there Ass and gets that balls to do something about the high prices, I will not be giving the theiving oil companies any more of my money than absolute necessary.  I think that congress should pass a law outlawing the practive of speculating on oil which is the main reason why the cost of a barrel of oil has gone up this year from 60.00 a barrel to over $120.00.  I would not be a bit surprised if the speculators were not actually on the payroll of the oil companies and using them to drive the price of oil up.  It has been long known that the oil companies have been unhappy with the price of Gas in the US.  Many times they have said that they would like to see it on par with the rest of the world.  They will keep raising the price until it gets to be $6.00 a gallon.

        It's time to force the Oil companies to build more refineries instead of tearing the down, open up capped wells and stop screwing with the formulation with this E85 bull crap.  That was a big mistake the congress made, mandating that.  No wonder the price of food has gone up when you take some much of the corn and wheat crops to make ethonal which is still 25% below what was mandated.  Anyone want to pay $5.00 for a loaf of bread?  If more crops are used to increase that production to make the 25% increase we will see $5.00 a loaf of bread.  Alls Ethonal does in reduce your gas milage, burns faster which causes you to have to fill up more often, which causes you to pay more for gas.

        I have been a life long republican, but I can tell you that, I am ashamed to be one with that Ass in the white house.  He has done nothing since he took office to run the country into the ground and not done a dam thing to make thing better.  Being an oil man himself,  he's not going to lift a finger to do anything against he oil buddies.
        Congress needs to also take a stand against him.  If the Govermant had taken those hundred's of Billions of Dollars that they have waisted on Bush's trumped up war in Iraq and spent it on a crash program to develop and build the infrastructure for fuel cell cars and home power systems, like Kennedy did with the space program, we would not need to import oil from abroad and would not have these high prices.

        So when I vote this year,  MaCain isn't going to get my vote, because all he is, is a bush puppet and will keep the status quo. And god knows I'll never vote for hillary, we don't need a clinton back in the white house,  One was enough and look what he did for the reputation of the country around the world.  My money is on Obama.  It's time for a big change and maybe he can get something done that all the others are not willing to attempt or do.   So this is one Republican thats going to vote Democrate.

        So screw you oil companies,  your not getting any more of my money unless I can't help it.  I think I am going to look for a diesal pickup and run it on used cooking oil.

        Dan S.  - One pissed off Texas Driver.

[...]

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- -

      • Shafer, Mark B
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008

          John McCain made a statement “That to buy oil from the mid east is to fund terrorism ”  He’s the only one I’ve heard verbalize what I have believed for years.   What he would do about it – I don’t know – but at least his identified the problem.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008
            For your eyes only.  From today's Wayne Madsen Report.

            April 30, 2008 -- BREAKING NEWS. UPDATED 4X. CIA agent gunned down by Houston police

            publication date: Apr 30, 2008
            Download Print

            April 30, 2008 -- BREAKING NEWS. UPDATED 4X. CIA agent gunned down by Houston police

            Houston police shot and killed Roland Vincent Carnaby, 52, the local Houston chapter president of the Association for Intelligence Officers (AFIO). AFIO is a membership organization of current and former U.S. intelligence officers, primarily those who work or worked for the CIA and military intelligence agencies. AFIO's national board includes President George H. W. Bush who is honorary chairman. The honorary board also includes Shirley Temple Black, Frank Carlucci, former National Security Agency (NSA) director Gen. Lincoln Faurer, former NSA director and CIA deputy director Bobby Ray Inman, former CIA and FBI director William Webster, and former CIA director James Woolsey. The chairman of the active board is M. E. "Spike" Bowman, the former head of the FBI's National Security Law Unit and the person who denied the Minneapolis FBI office a special warrant to search Zacarias Moussaoui's belongings prior to the 9/11 attacks.

            Details about the shooting remain cloudy, but local Houston veterans of AFIO are discounting the Houston police's portrayal of the events that led to Carnaby's shooting death. Although Carnaby described himself as a federal intelligence but was never specific about his actual employer. According to the Houston Chronicle, Carnaby mentioned in the past the CIA and Department of Homeland Security. The CIA denied any connection to Carnaby.

            Fred Platt, the Vice President of the Houston AFIO chapter, said Carnaby's job was so classified, Houston police homicide detectives will come up blank when they run his name. Platt said Carnaby's job involved homeland security and it involved Houston's airports and the port of Houston.

            In what is being described as a case worthy of an episode of the "X Files" television show, the FBI in Houston, the Harris County Sheriff, and the Houston Police Chief are all denying knowing Carnaby. The denials are absurd considering Carnaby led the premier organization that brought together Houston's intelligence and law enforcement communities for professional and social events. In fact, Carnaby would have been presiding over the Spring 2008 dinner of Houston's AFIO chapter in a few weeks. Scheduled to speak are Michael Scheuer, the former head of the CIA's "Alex Station" that targeted Osama Bin Laden; Arthur R. Bland III, the Special Agent in Charge of the FBI's Houston Division, who spent nineteen months in Iraq prior to his arrival in Houston; and Carlos J. Barron, FBI Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Counter Terrorism Intelligence Group, (CTIG) Houston Division, an FBI Joint Task Force (JTIF) initiative with the CIA. For the FBI and CIA to deny they knew Carnaby is laughable on its face.

            Carnaby was said to have traveled frequently for his job. Carnaby used two different UPS Store mailboxes as addresses for his driver's license and his Jeep registration. Houston police reported that Carnaby was shot by two Houston police officers Tuesday morning around 11:30 am after a high-speed chase by the Houston police. The Chronicle reported that Carnaby sped off after being stopped for a routine traffic stop and after officers learned that Carnaby has a concealed weapons permit. The Houston police officers said they fired after seeing Carnaby reach under his seat. They said they feared for their lives.

            Platt said Carnaby was engaged to be married and had no reason to run from the police. Police said they initially found no weapons in Carnaby's Jeep but said later they found two pistols and a shot gun and one was within reach of the subject. WMR has learned from US intelligence sources in Houston that the weapons were planted in Carnaby's Jeep after the vehicle was impounded by Houston police.

            WMR has also learned that Carnaby possessed knowledge of something the Bush administration or Israel did not want made public and that the "hit" on Carnaby involved Israeli Mossad agents operating in Houston.

            Story developing.

            Background on AFIO from its website:

            "During the 1970s the Intelligence Community was buffeted by a number of leaks and revelations, culminating in the Church and Pike Congressional investigations. CIA officer David Atlee Phillips took early retirement in 1975 to respond to the growing sentiment that the CIA was a 'rogue elephant.' As part of this effort, Phillips founded this organization, known then as the Association of Retired Intelligence Officers (ARIO). Although much attacked at the time when many people called for the dismantlement of the CIA, Phillips toured the world to speak out in favor of the need for a strong intelligence community. He was subsequently personally accused of being a participant in the Kennedy and Letelier assassinations. He successfully sued several publications for libel, retractions were issued and monetary damages awarded. Phillips donated some of these proceeds to ARIO for the purpose of creating a legal defense fund for American intelligence officers who felt they were the victims of libel.

            In 1978 the name of the organization was changed to Association of Former Intelligence Officers to reflect a pool of members who were not necessarily retired, which widened the pool of eligible members, and in 2006 the acronym AFIO was changed to stand for Association For Intelligence Officers to reflect the current dynamic membership. From its inception in Dave Phillips’ living room and a few hundred members in 1975, AFIO has grown to over 5000 members, with 24 active chapters across the United States."

            UPDATE 1: WMR has learned from a reliable source that Houston has become a major station for Mossad activities, especially in warehousing, retail sales, aviation, and shipping. Carnaby was looking at the security for the Port of Houston and the area's airports. Local Houston news reports indicate Carnaby was trying to call the Houston FBI on his cell phone to have them verify his identity with the police when the police shot him to death.

            UPDATE 2: Houston-based CIA agent Roland Carnaby was shot and killed by Houston police less than six blocks away from the home of former President George H. W. Bush and Barbara Bush.

            UPDATE 3: KPRC-TV Houston is now reporting that Roland Carnaby's credentials discovered by Houston police investigators show that he was a CIA intelligence officer. Carnaby apparently used more than one CIA-issued alias, including "Tom." A top CIA official is reportedly on his way to Houston to verify Carnaby's CIA credentials. Houston police are now saying that Carnaby was reaching for his cell phone, not a weapon, was he was shot by the police.

            UPDATE 4: WMR's earlier report that Carnaby's death involved Mossad assets in Houston is now gaining additional credence as some well-known blogs, linked to right-wing Jewish political and intelligence operations in the United States and Israel, are now beginning the predictable character assassination of Carnaby as a "fraud" and a "former" U.S. intelligence agent. WMR has learned that Carnaby was targeted by Mossad in a high-stakes game of tit-for-tat since the CIA and FBI went after long-time Israeli agent Ben-Ami Kadish last week in New Jersey and vowed to identify, expose, and prosecute other Israeli moles in high positions inside the Bush administration.

          • Michael Ewert
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1 5:52 AM

              Susan,

              You are getting off topic.  Please stick to renewable energy!

              Thank you,

              Mike

              Message 6 of 6 , May 1 7:23 AM

                That was a mistake, Mike.